Vols Should Join the ACC

Anybody wanting Tennessee to go into the ACC needs to go find them a ACC team. Your in the mini minority, Tennessee is as SEC as it gets, we are never leaving because it’s firmly where we belong. The folks that want us too leave are not true Tennessee fans. Tennessee and it’s fans want to compete with the best and win in the best conference. Tennessee not it’s true fans never back down. Shame on the thread starter. Now go get you another team! GBO!!!! SEC forever!
The ACC champ will have a spot in the expanded playoffs. You can meet Bama and Georgia in the playoffs when it actually means more. The five star hearts the Vols are recruiting right now, won't cut it in the SEC regular season.

If we cant do it in the sec, we wont do it in the acc.
This. Even if our chances of making the playoffs were increased by moving, we're still gonna have to go through either UGA or Bama or both to win the whole thing. I'd rather just not make it to the playoffs than make it and get absolutely smacked.

The ACC champ will have a spot in the expanded playoffs. You can meet Bama and Georgia in the playoffs when it actually means more. The five star hearts the Vols are recruiting right now, won't cut it in the SEC regular season.
We will always have our 2016 Champions of Life trophy.

The Vols Should Join the ACC

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.
Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Georgia

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Vols

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

Reasons why we should join the ACC in the future
  1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?
Thought? Well leaving the SEC and all the money we get from the SEC is just stupid. Also, I do not agree with your take about no “true rivals in the SEC”. Alabama and UT is one of the best rivalries in all of football when both teams are good. Well guess what, last year and this year says the rival has been renewed. I had much rather play Alabama and UGA every and find a coach that raises the standard, instead of lowering the standard.

Also the Vols are a chatter member and in no way is there logical reason to leave the conference that all started in Knoxville.

Luckily, the Vols currently have a top 3 recruiting class as far as average stars go, only behind GA and Oh St. People on here are jumping ship way too soon.

Reactions: KHVol
Generational problem these days……everyone under the age of about 35 it seems just wants an easy path. The satisfaction of overcoming challenges to achieve a desired goal is just not worth it to them. They would rather someone just clear perceived obstacles from their path and claim cheap low energy victories. Sad.

Ask Georgia Tech how leaving the SEC worked out.

Truth be told, leaving the SEC would possibly make getting into the 12-team playoff simpler. But the flipside is that we'd be much less likely to win. There's much more money in the SEC and going to the ACC would reduce our "ceiling" a bit.

One way or another, you have to beat the SEC to win the national title with the playoff, so I don't see any benefit of going to the ACC. Maybe 25 years ago, when pollsters determined everything and would often reward teams with weaker SoS, but that's not a viable path any more.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Ask Georgia Tech how leaving the SEC worked out.

Truth be told, leaving the SEC would possibly make getting into the 12-team playoff simpler. But the flipside is that we'd be much less likely to win. There's much more money in the SEC and going to the ACC would reduce our "ceiling" a bit.

One way or another, you have to beat the SEC to win the national title with the playoff, so I don't see any benefit of going to the ACC. Maybe 25 years ago, when pollsters determined everything and would often reward teams with weaker SoS, but that's not a viable path any more.
Although this path has twice now benefitted Clemson.

Let's also shoot ourselves in the foot.
You know, just in case the draft comes back.

The move is worth considering, but only for just a moment.
First, those few top-dog ACC teams will be climbing each others' backs to take our spot for the generous TV money.
Second, our own income's decline would cause a massive hit to our AD budget.
Third, that would cause our recruiting and facilities to be less competitive over time.
Fourth, that would contribute to our competitive decline over time due to less successful recruiting.

We need to stay where we are and make it work for us. We have HUGE built-in advantages from being in the (most seasons) best and most elite Conference. Our athletic department generates huge income.
Our talent foundation is growing and winning 8 games in the SEC is not a bad season. This was a soft re-build.

The New SEC is going to be a war of attrition. Teams with the fewest devastating injuries and the best and deepest 3-deep rosters win. We are getting deeper and stronger/faster with each recruiting class. I like the new scheduling because everyone plays everyone. I find it exciting to play teams the Division system pushed away. Traditional rivals returned to our schedules, like Ole Miss and Auburn, and new rivals, Oklahoma and TX, alike offer some exciting trips for fans.

And Bama and UGA will now be playing every other year. UGA will have some tough schedules. Everyone will, and we will see fewer and fewer undefeated teams in our conference and the B1G too. There may never be parity, but I think UGA and Bama will not seem so invulnerable in the new look SEC. I expect UT to look the same as recent seasons: almost always Good and sometimes in the hunt for championships (Great).

Playing around the ACC would not feel the same at all. Plus, if expansion pushes the SEC to invite UNC, FSU, Clemson, or other programs, the ACC will be diminished that much more.
It would be a loser move all around.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Hard no. Do we have enough resources to be 3rd or 4th in our conference every now and again? Because pretty soon that will likely get you into the playoffs and from there it’s whoever is healthy and on a hot streak. Like it or not, we’re shaping up to be just like the smaller schools that already have a playoff system. Running from the competition is a losers mentality.

it's not a wild idea...the SEC isnt as prestigious as it once was.

i wouldn't have ever considered it, but after watching the officiating in this league this year and what they did to tennessee, i'd be on board.

prolly doesn't matter anyway, because the the college football landscape will look completely unrecognizable in 10 years

Reactions: DarkVolder
The Vols Should Join the ACC

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.
Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Georgia

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Vols

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

Reasons why we should join the ACC in the future
  1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?

We will beat the ACC in all major sports.

VN Store

Back