Vols Should Join the ACC

The only justification for this is the blatant bias of the SEC offices foot soldiers officiating these games. Other than that, I don’t get it

I think the context behind the OP has a lot of validity: A lot of Vol fans seem to think, oh, Heupel just needs another couple of years and then
we'll be in position to beat bama and georgia and win the conference and a national title. We're dreamers. This is a massively difficult, massively competitive conference--soon to have a ridiculous 16 schools--with AT LEAST 8/9 major, wealthy programs with gold-plated traditions and fanatical fans and crazy boosters who care too much about college football games--plus another 5 programs that are more ambitious than any second-tier programs in the country. All are chasing the same top prospects in the east, southeast, southwest. It is dog-eat-dog, and to win this conference going forward will take a special combination of talent, coaching and luck that doesn't roll around very often. I've said that schools will be raising banners for finishing 4th in the conference, and I'm only half-joking.

It's all gotten rather ridiculous---and nothing proves the point more than a fellow SEC school just opting to pay $76 Freakin' Million to a jettison a coach who had a comical eight years left on his contract. That's the kind of insanity that defines the SEC and major-college football nowadays--that and fans who say, "we just have to out-bribe other schools for top prospects and then we'll be kicking butt." I used to feel sorry for the Ivies because they were so small and unimportant in football. But with each passing year it's clear that they've had the wise approach to college athletics all along. I am thankful for the fact that our football program brings in so much money--and the athletic department uses a decent chunk of the revenue to finance non-revenue sports that are still grounded and reasonable and maintain the spirit of amateurism.

Reactions: Volsinnash
The Vols Should Join the ACC

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.
Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Georgia

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

Recruiting ranks 2017-2025 Vols

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

Reasons why we should join the ACC in the future
  1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?
You don’t get better by running away from the challenges of life. You toughen up, get better, and grow back into the winner you have always been. SEC forever!!!

The ACC champ will have a spot in the expanded playoffs. You can meet Bama and Georgia in the playoffs when it actually means more. The five star hearts the Vols are recruiting right now, won't cut it in the SEC regular season.
Go find you a team and become a fan. Tennessee is never going to the ACC. Facts! GBO

I'm up for the challenge that is playing in the SEC.

Texas and Oklahoma won't be winning 10 games anymore either.

Reactions: cgrish
Generational problem these days……everyone under the age of about 35 it seems just wants an easy path. The satisfaction of overcoming challenges to achieve a desired goal is just not worth it to them. They would rather someone just clear perceived obstacles from their path and claim cheap low energy victories. Sad.
I’m under 35 and no I won’t get off your lawn

Reactions: The Original Fade
The money in the SEC keeps Vandy in and UT also needs the money if they want to continue to move towards success.

Reactions: LTVol

1. With the SEC getting Oklahoma and Texas it will be even harder to win the recruiting battle and championships. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn all have enough resources to compete yearly. If we were to join the ACC we would only have to compete with Clemson, Miami and Florida State for recruits. Also, our recruiting has not been good compared to Georgia and Bama. The Vols will not compete for championships until we get top 5 classes here which will be near impossible with the way the SEC is currently constructed.

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Unless we start pulling top 5 recruiting classes I expect no championships in the foreseeable future.

1. Our tradition transcends our conference. From the vol walk to the vol navy our traditions would fit well in any conference and bring recruits in. We have no true rivals in the SEC. I think the Vols are capable of being in any conference and succeeding.
  2. If we were to not win 10 games again over the next decade what do we do? Do we continue to stay in a conference that won’t be getting any easier?
  3. Playoffs are the only thing that matters going forward. It doesn’t matter what conference you are in. If you make the playoffs you have a chance to win it all.
Thoughts?
Troll

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Thoughts?
@loservol liked this post. That’s the only thought I need.

Clemson has been down the last couple of years, but they and Florida State show you didn't have to be in the SEC to be championship caliber. At least until NIL. The cash the ESPN is going to dump into the SEC is going to make it a lot harder for anyone else to compete. It's why OU and texas jumped ship from the big 12. Vols leaving the SEC might win some conference championships, but would make a NC almost impossible because of the $.

2017 3rd

2018 1st

2019 2nd

2020 1st

2021 4th

2022 3rd

2023 2nd

2024 1st

2025 2nd

2017 17th

2018 21st

2019 13th

2020 11th

2021 22nd

2022 17th

2023 10th

2024 12th

2025 12th

Thoughts?
Georgia Troll

Schools with less nearby talent have to rely on system/coaching to even the table.

Even if we don't have in season reminders of it, we'd still face bama or georgia in the playoffs, assuming we instantly dominate the acc. Seems better to stay where we are and wait for more favorable conditions or better yet figure out how to beat the top teams in the sec.
I got one work for you and the others that think going to the ACC is a great idea --- P****! Another one word Comment Meow!

How about Tennessee just keep working to get back to being near the top of the league they help start and build instead of being a bunch of cowards?

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Tennessee in the ACC makes more sense than some of y’all realize we are more of a basketball school now anyway we border Virginia and North Carolina. Knoxville is in closer proximity to Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh and Charlottesville than alot of other SEC campuses. I could totally see Tennessee fitting in the ACC.

Tennessee in the ACC makes more sense than some of y’all realize we are more of a basketball school now anyway we border Virginia and North Carolina. Knoxville is in closer proximity to Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh and Charlottesville than alot of other SEC campuses. I could totally see Tennessee fitting in the ACC.

Virginia Tech is actually closer to Tennessee than any other Power 5 team.

VN Store

Back