Vols trending Down (247 article)

Articles that contain quotes by "anonymous sources close to the situation" always give me pause. Props to Hood for being the only one to attach his name to his opinion

Bingo.

I can't stand that "unnamed source" crap. It has zero cred with me. I can find anyone to say what I want if I don't have to name them.

Also, using a quote from an unnamed source to title your article reeks of bias and sensationalism.

For some reason, the media from this area thinks the only way they can be viewed as being credible by their peers is to go out of the way to rip the home team.

Reactions: 4 people
Pretty much called a spade a spade there. If you read the whole thing, it's not all gloom and despair, but he's right that Butch's margin for error is extremely thin at this point. He's basically got 1 shot to replace key staff members and turn it around next year. If it works out, that's a good thing for all of us. If not, he's not going to get another chance.

The issue is that there isn't room for improvement without winning the East. From his 1st season through last year, we could improve, and did improve, every season, without winning our division. He absolutely showed he could do that, but to this point all he's done is brought the program from the mail room to middle management. To advance to the next level, he's got to win the East, and I'm not sure he's capable of that. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

This! Long story short, Butch is at a point in his career where he either makes it or breaks it.... I think since it is his 5th year, Blackburn will be direct with him where Hart clearly has given up caring due to a one year retirement. All Butch needs to know for next year is get to Atlanta or get fired..... I think the number 1 goal for Butch and the AD should be winning the East. Anything short of that, Sugar Bowl/10 wins, is a failure....

Reactions: 3 people
Butch needs to surround himself with good assistants to boost his confidence. He's pissed me off a few times this year but I still want to see him succeed.

Reactions: 9 people
The most telling quote to me was this one:

“Butch is not very comfortable in his own skin,” one source told us. “Until he has that, he’ll just never be a great coach. He’s not comfortable in his own skin in recruiting, play-calling, organization ...

“He’s great in a small setting, but he’s just not a comfortable guy.”

Reactions: 1 person
Articles that contain quotes by "anonymous sources close to the situation" always give me pause. Props to Hood for being the only one to attach his name to his opinion

agreed. i think in merit, the article is a reflection of a lot of the frustration many, self included, have felt about how this season ended, and what some of the causes of it were.

i'm not ready to say it's totally factual, but i do think it's accurate as to the sentiment.

if there's one positive take away, it's the idea of Blackburn working on Jones and giving him the opportunity to turn it around. while i'm not willing to say that i think CBJ will, i don't have an issue with the narrative the article portrays regarding that potential relationship. that could be exactly what he needs. and not that this has anything to do with the w/l columns, i do think there's a lot of merit to the lack of relationship he has with fans and media. he just doesn't do himself any favors with what he says as far as what are the cornerstones of his philosophy and culture, and what he says and does elsewhere. the "own it" comment in the article is accurate. i've been very vocal here on my sentiments regarding Butch and his seemingly inability to communicate effectively....he comes off as fake....well intentioned as he may be, he missed the mark too many times in this respect.

additionally, i also agree with the notion that this team could get better by subtraction. i've always had this feeling that the two classes he signed in 14 and 15 just had too much hype....and that there was probably some entitlement issues for some of those guys, with notable exceptions of Dobbs, Kamara, Barnett....

lastly, i think the article hit the nail on the head in regards to the S&C situation, and further, going back to the relationship with Blackburn, getting CBJ to understand his role, and the roles of his coaches, and how that should all fit together going forward, if things are going to change for the better.

i really want CBJ to succeed. that would be the best case scenario for this program. but he has to understand that that has more to do with him, his philosophy, and management practices, than it does with "the pitch".

the table is set, i don't think all is lost. but it is up to him as to what happens next.

Last edited:
Well what should have been back to back 11 win regular seasons sorta gives negative stories legs..... Had we not had coaching issues in 3 or 4 games over the past two years, Jones would be celebrated. Now it is exactly what the article says: a crossroads.
\Got to give you Jones haters a hand. You never take a break. So funny.

Reactions: 2 people
Hart failed to comment. LOL. "Own It". Hart is such a pathetic incompetent coward.

'The culture is a disaster:' Jones, Vols trending the wrong way

Here's another smear piece.. someone has an agenda

edit: realized it's the same article

Like a friend of mine stated, I should not have wasted my time reading this trash. Travis Haney is simply a reporter who states things to get attention, regardless of the facts! He is like many in his profession, whether sports or political.

What he wants us to do is what I am doing, giving this unprofessional attention, but I can't stand to see crap like this from a so called "professional journalist".

Ignore the creep! :loco::thud:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
i'm not ready to say it's totally factual, but i do think it's accurate as to the sentiment.

I'm at the same spot

I'll also add that it does seem like a horribly timed article with yesterday's commitment though

Well what should have been back to back 11 win regular seasons sorta gives negative stories legs..... Had we not had coaching issues in 3 or 4 games over the past two years, Jones would be celebrated. Now it is exactly what the article says: a crossroads.

Can't agree with 11 wins this year but could meet you at 10-2.

But, to try and say we should have been 11-1 last year?? Thats laughable.

Hurt so much with trey..

Trey committed before the article came out.. so I don't see your point.

Butch is a great recruiter, he will swing it somehow. But it's stupid to think this won't impact recruiting in one small way or big way.

I'm at the same spot

I'll also add that it does seem like a horribly timed article with yesterday's commitment though

yeah, i thought so too. kind of takes the sting of the article away, when you get a top 5 kid to sign. someone still believes.....

and when you really think about it, the way the article goes back and forth, it's a microcosm of the fan base as well.

there is a lot of good that has come with CBJ. but there's also been more than our fair share of bad. and that's the conundrum. i do think he's at a fork in the road. which way it goes from here, is all on him.

will the real butch jones please stand up?

This also might explain the constant use of Butchisms, repetition, control, and the pitch. Sometimes when you have doubts about your abilities the hardest person to convince is yourself. Just a thought.

Additionally, I really believe Butch is a stand-up guy, and I would much rather he be scripted than flying off on random tangents (see Dooley). But maybe he just needs to loosen up a bit. We all need someone to steer us in the right direction from time to time: maybe Blackburn is the guy for that.

will the real butch jones please stand up?

a_zook_il.jpg

Hard to blame folks that don't want to lose their job over being named in an article about a failed coach, IMO.

Reactions: 8 people
4 years, no results. Looks like he will get an undeserved 5th year...want to lay odds on another season of no results?

see that's not entiely accurate either. there have been resuluts.

we're on a winning streak against GA. ended the FL streak. we are going to bowl games again. we are putting winning records back to back again.

in the interests of what he's done, vs. where it was when he got here, there's no disputing progress has been made.

the problem is.....that only lasts so long. with progress, comes expectations.

and you can't fall back on "the goal is to go 1-0", and not acknowledge the importance some games have over others, and not acknowledge what the expectation is, when you have shown progress year over year.

call it being a victim of his own success or whatever, the difference is understanding the difference of saying "the goal is to be 1-0" at CMU or Cincy, and what that says when you're at a place like Tennessee.

it is different, and you can't handle it the same way. media scrutiny is different, the fans bases are WAAAAAYYY different, and the compeition is, well, entirely different than what he's used to.

what worked in year 1 and 2, becomes stale and cliche by year 4 and 5. until he figures out how to grow with that, we'll still be having these same discussions.

rightfully so.

Yeah my BR alert on my phone said "The culture is a disaster"

Kind of a cheap shot by all involved.

2016 will go down as the media bash year on UT.

I did see quite a few inconsistencies in this piece though that goes to show either a.) this journalist cherry picked quotes from his "sources" or b.) his sources aren't that close to the program.

1.) "Why would you lecture the media" - This person obviously has never watched a Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier or whoever that Oklahoma St. coach was that went off media's pressers.

2.) There were a lot of questions surrounding Lawson and his training program last year which was well documented on VolNation due to our significant amount of shoulder injuries. Don't make it out to think that we ran off some great S&C coach because him and Jones couldn't get along. There were significant issues and a change was needed.

3.) "Certain guys became team captains even though they didn't earn it" What the hell is this!!!!! Our captains for this year were JRM, Josh Dobbs, Cam Sutton and AK. Name one that didn't deserve it. The "source close to the team" on that one must have been some random dude walking out of a bar onto Cumberland.

It's easy in journalism to create the illusion of credible witnesses when their identities are held.

Does some change need to happen. Yes. Did we get out some bad apples. Yes. Did coach Jones' approach this last year of having a player led team work out the best. Probably Not but this is a method that has been used by several coaches. Do we need some change in some assistant coaching? I would say so. These are all growing pains that each coach will go through once they get to big boy football. The only thing you can do is look at the lessons learned and adapt.

To say that the Culture is a Disaster after all of the progress that has been made in this program in the last 4 years is pure negligence.

Reactions: 7 people
Why is Travis Haney looking for Click-bait? He is a well-respected ESPN writer. I would imagine that this probably wouldn't have came out had Butch not took off to Purdue right after Vandy.

4 years, no results. Looks like he will get an undeserved 5th year...want to lay odds on another season of no results?

4 years, 3 winning records. Which is a huge improvement from the disaster we were in. Short of 2 massive quitters, Hurd and Williams, and a complete injury epidemic we are likely 10-2/11-1.

Strength and conditioning must be fixed, sounds like it is handled. Butch handling other position coaching needs. We also landed potentially the #1 recruit in the country yesterday.

I don't care how disappointing this season was for all of us, jones deserves next year. Everyone calling him out for turning our program around are complete losers and are crying out in the name of a school that has been all but forgotten for a decade in the SEC. Until you realize nobody cared about Tennessee until last year, because of jones, in a long time can you understand what he's done.

VN Store

Back