We just got beat, that's all

mudhen

They went in to half time, watched a bit of film, made adjustments and came out and whipped our asses. This is what good teams do. We had NO ANSWERS for this. We'll get there, but not yet. To any of the sunshine pumpers, there's a REASON that Saban has won all of those Championships. I love Tennessee, and will never desert them, but we're not there yet.

Last edited:
They went in to half time, watched a bit of film, made adjustments and came out and whipped our asses. This is what good teams do. We had NO ANSWERS for this. We'll get there, but not yet. To any of the sunshine pampers, there's a REASON that Saban has won all of those Championships. I love Tennessee, and will never desert them, but we're not there yet.
When you can’t play an entire half, regardless of what you do or call, yeah you lost due to refs.

This isn’t 1980 Man, these ****ers play a bigger part than ever on the outcomes of these games.

When you can’t play an entire half, regardless of what you do or call, yeah you lost due to refs.

This isn’t 1980 Man, these ****ers play a bigger part than ever on the outcomes of these games.
I was a sports official for 17 years ( soccer ) from u- littles to semi pro men. We were ALWAYS blamed, but at the end of the game, it was NEVER our fault.

I was a sports official for 17 years ( soccer ) from u- littles to semi pro men. We were ALWAYS blamed, but at the end of the game, it was NEVER our fault.
Sorry. Never? Never? I was also a soccer ref for several years, up to high school playoff and state tournament level. I know better than to think none of my crew ever made a mistake that didn't cost a team a game.

Never?

Tell that to my son, whose high school career ended in the state playoffs when his team scored an overtime goal to take the lead only to have the center and AR both miss the fact that the ball went inside the post for a goal. It rolled right on thru because the net was not fastened down to the goal as it should have been. How is this possible, you might ask as a seasoned ref, because as you know, it's the ARs job to check the nets before the match. Supposed best refs in the area, in a deep playoff elimination game, couldn't be bothered to do such a menial task. Surveillance video of the field pregame shows both ARs just head on over to the line without checking the nets. And, yes, we have pictures of the ball inside the post. The far AR, who wasn't tasked with making the call, was the only one of the crew who called our coach to personally apologize for screwing his team with the mistake later the next week.

Never?

The Vols players know they got screwed. As does anyone who watched that travesty of a game.

The question is why are they being allowed to...What is the next step for football in this regard .."They create a problem so people want change , they give you the change they wanted to make anyway but couldn't make it because people wouldn't have wanted it ...Now use this thinking while replaying all the ******** rule changes and ******** reviews..These days a catch isn't even a catch. Every new rule gives them more control.of the outcome of each game ..Down to the last play ..All decided on in some regard to the gambling that has taken over every sport .. We have givien up a sport we all loved growing up for a chance to make a buck..And that CHANCE in reality is just an illusion..

Meanwhile all connected to the sport are putting more money in their pockets from players , coaches , networks even down to local beat writers..Who all have lost their character and dignity over a falling dollar.

All this money is coming from ??

You and me

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Did the refs die sure cost us the game? No. Did severely hurt our chances and kill momentum? Absolutely. Most falls on CJH but there is some fault to spread around too.

I've spoken my piece on this whole thing and I'm ready to move on. We lost because we aren't quite there yet player-wise, so Bama outplayed and outcoached us in the second half, supported by very one-sided officiating. I'm a Vol fan--I can get over losing to the gumps--very experienced at it.

No doubt. We had some drives ended and they had some drives extended due to very questionable calls and no calls
Even if the reffing had been perfect, there is zero excuse for the play calling. Coaches called it not to get beat rather than playing to win. Rather than adjust properly, they went vanilla and then full on insanity mode and kept trying things that were no longer working over and over.

I've spoken my piece on this whole thing and I'm ready to move on. We lost because we aren't quite there yet player-wise, so Bama outplayed and outcoached us in the second half, supported by very one-sided officiating. I'm a Vol fan--I can get over losing to the gumps--very experienced at it.
Worst Alabama team we have played in 20 years. We still aren't "there yet". We are worse than Bon Jovi who has been stuck at halfway there since 1986.

I mean I hate blaming refs but there is a big diff between soccer and SEC football a lot more money involved , I’m not saying they completely cost us we didn’t play well In second half but we got virtually no calls

Sorry. Never? Never? I was also a soccer ref for several years, up to high school playoff and state tournament level. I know better than to think none of my crew ever made a mistake that didn't cost a team a game.

Never?

Tell that to my son, whose high school career ended in the state playoffs when his team scored an overtime goal to take the lead only to have the center and AR both miss the fact that the ball went inside the post for a goal. It rolled right on thru because the net was not fastened down to the goal as it should have been. How is this possible, you might ask as a seasoned ref, because as you know, it's the ARs job to check the nets before the match. Supposed best refs in the area, in a deep playoff elimination game, couldn't be bothered to do such a menial task. Surveillance video of the field pregame shows both ARs just head on over to the line without checking the nets. And, yes, we have pictures of the ball inside the post. The far AR, who wasn't tasked with making the call, was the only one of the crew who called our coach to personally apologize for screwing his team with the mistake later the next week.

Never?

The Vols players know they got screwed. As does anyone who watched that travesty of a game.

Maybe you and your crew just sucked

On their first TD pass of the 3rd quarter, that had Baron wrapped up around the neck. Clear holding call. You can't tell me whipping away 7 points and putting them with first and 20 doesn't make a difference. I'd love to see a side by side of the defensive holding the called on us in the 4th quarter vs the one they didn't call on them against Squirrel in the end zone. That was pretty blatant.

This game changed on really two plays. Not getting that 4th and 1 on the 48 yard line, and then obviously the strip sack as well. You can also argue us not converting touchdowns on 3 goal to go situations was a huge issues as well. I hate to see that we regressed in both short yardage and red zone TD efficiency, as we were one of the best in the nation at both last year. We need to be able to do those things going forward, as those did not have much or anything to do with the refs.

Reactions: Herman Hickman
I felt like Milton had a decent game today and the coaches put him in a position to win. If we had come away with 14 points instead of kicking two field goals for 6 in the first quarter this might have been a different ball game. Yeah we should've kicked the field goal on that 4th down where we went for it and missed, that was Beamer ball or Drinkwittz or Kiffin coaching there. That was disappointing. I still feel like if we had gotten into the end zone early instead of field goals the refs would have never been a factor. You just have to play to win is all. This ain't on the refs.

Reactions: volfeeva
I felt like Milton had a decent game today and the coaches put him in a position to win. If we had come away with 14 points instead of kicking two field goals for 6 in the first quarter this might have been a different ball game. Yeah we should've kicked the field goal on that 4th down where we went for it and missed, that was Beamer ball or Drinkwittz or Kiffin coaching there. That was disappointing. I still feel like if we had gotten into the end zone early instead of field goals the refs would have never been a factor. You just have to play to win is all. This ain't on the refs.
Great point about the field goals. Just one of those 4th downs could have been a touchdown.

Reactions: Freak
Refs didn’t get gashed for big yardage in the second half after holding to less than 50 in the first half. They didn’t give the rusher a free shot at Milton’s back causing a scoop and score. They didn’t go for it on fourth and inches twice and get whipped at the line of scrimmage both times. They didn’t signal a fair catch on a ball someone else was fielding and get it killed on the spot.
There were several no calls and the first down reviews were bulls@&t but if the refs were bought it was wasted money cause we gave the game away anyhow.

Reactions: MaxVolnGA and CSVol
This was the worst Alabama team since Saban’s first year. We blow it.

This year was one of the worst Florida teams in about 20 years. We laid down and died.

Just like last year when all we had to do was beat a bad SCar team and we’d waltz into a playoff spot. What did we do? We choked. Like a biblical-level choke job, one for the ages.

This team is just mentally weak. The coaches have to figure out how to get our guys over that hump. We aren’t there yet. And I’m not sure we’re close.

I'm an old Deming guy and believer in continual improvement. I don't know what all is done to hire, train, monitor, improve officiating. I'm sure it's substantial.

I may lose my VN Card over this but I just don't believe officials purposely throw games.

I saw some bad calls (and lack of) on both sides. I also saw a Bama team own the line on both sides of the ball the second have. That is why I think we lost.

Reactions: CSVol

There is more money involved now than ever. Money wil keep flags in pockets when needed or thrown when needed.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
There were definitely some questionable calls and non calls and Heupel gambled and it backfired a couple of times but the main reason we lost was the player talent gap. Alabama is loaded with talent 3 deep at every position. They have more 5 star defensive backs then we have the whole team.

Refs didn’t get gashed for big yardage in the second half after holding to less than 50 in the first half. They didn’t give the rusher a free shot at Milton’s back causing a scoop and score. They didn’t go for it on fourth and inches twice and get whipped at the line of scrimmage both times. They didn’t signal a fair catch on a ball someone else was fielding and get it killed on the spot.
There were several no calls and the first down reviews were bulls@&t but if the refs were bought it was wasted money cause we gave the game away anyhow.
I agree we Jeckyl-Hyded the game BUT ... call the choke hold on Baron, 7 points gone and momentum slowed; don't call the ticky-tack illegal contact penalty and we get the ball (and, incidentally, if that was illegal contact, they should have called it every play on both teams); don't call a phantom fair catch penalty and we don't lose a possession trapped in our own end. The strip sack ended the game, but wouldn't have if we weren't already down by 7 due to the choke-hold play.

Jimmy the Greek said, about fixing games: "You don't need the quarterback. Just gimme the center. Gimme the referee. All I'd need is one offside at the right time... " [The other stuff he said, that got him tossed off the air, doesn't invalidate this statement.]

Which is to say: even in a blowout, the officials can significantly change the complexion of the game with just a couple of calls (or non-calls); not to mention, they way they call the game (letting dbs be handsy or not, for instance) can significantly affect how the game is played. How about this as a speculative tale: one of the most penalized teams in the country, comes out a little cautious in the first half, and is getting whipped; but, as the game goes on they realize that that stuff they were being penalized for in previous games isn't getting called. Hmmm, they say. Perhaps, just perhaps, they might change how they approach the second half. Great coaches make those kinds of adjustments. (I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it's the kind of thing that does happen with iffy officiating.)

I don't agree with you that the officiating didn't affect this game significantly, but I do agree that we didn't play well enough to win.

VN Store

Back