Wendell Green should have been ejected

I think it should have been a foul because ON moved slightly forward after the shooter had already started his shot. But there is judgement involved in the space to allow him to land. It has to be a normal shooting motion. The shooter jumped forward like competing in the Olympic long jump. A defender can't be penalized for a shooter causing themselves to not be able to land. If ON had stood completely still (once the shooter started his shot) then he shouldn't be called for a foul when the shooter lunges forward and lands on the defender.

Doesn't matter. We will take it. We get screwed and sometimes the opponent gets screwed. Evens out.
Bingo

I thought ON was moving into the shooter as he took the shot. ON sold the non-call by staying vertical. Maybe the shooter kicked out, but the contact was, IMO, was made by ON before the kick-out. Tough call either way in real time, but I think slo-mo shows what I think I saw.

I would not have been surprised with a foul call, but I do think Green’s history or at least earlier kick out call affected that decision.

The shooter kick-out and the charge/block call are two of the most frustrating calls. I know they can be tough, but it takes officials who understand verticality and closely watching the contact to get them correct.

I thought ON was moving into the shooter as he took the shot. ON sold the non-call by staying vertical. Maybe the shooter kicked out, but the contact was, IMO, was made by ON before the kick-out. Tough call either way in real time, but I think slo-mo shows what I think I saw.
I agree.

Shooter has to have space to land. It was 100% a foul. We finally get a call (well a non-call in this case) and y'all try to pretend like we actually didn't. Upsetting the basketball gods.
He may have gotten the call if he didn't try to hump Olivier on the way down. And screw them. They're a team of flopping crybabies just like their coach.

I think Green would’ve gotten the call if he and KD Johnson didn’t flop every time they put up a shot. Just like Plavic has the reputation as a trash-talking brute, Auburn’s guards are known as floppers, and in this case the refs weren’t buying it.

Having said that, it was probably a foul on ON. Although Green was jumping forward and WAY oversold the foul, Nkamhoua stepped forward toward Green after he left the floor. If he had just held his arms up without stepping forward, he could have argued “verticality”. In fact, he could have actually drawn a charge because Green would’ve been moving into him at that point. That wouldn’t have been a smart play though, because you don’t want the refs to have to make any foul decisions in that situation.

He could have landed he’s got in a habit of wrapping his legs around the defender after he lets the ball go. He gets the call most of the time IMO it’s a lazy call by the refs most the time.He has done that throughout the season the Refs know it like they know Uros is a hot head & ready to T him.If you watch it over In slow mo he could have came down but he kicked his legs out and wrapped them around ON. OLivers feetdid not leave the floor he was flat foot and totally straight posture, it was either a no call or a T on WG, IMO
Good no call. He did kick his legs out to try to look like contact. Officiating again was horrible. Lots of no calls that should have been fouls - Vescovi pushed out of bounds for one. Getting upset over 1 play is silly. I was at the game and best I could tell is that both teams had terrible shooting games and shouldn’t blame refs. I just expect bad refs every game now. Need to play better on offensive side of the ball. Everyone needs to quit whining, especially the announcers on tv.

I actually dont think it was a foul, he kicked his legs out which helped create the contact. I thought it was a good no call.

It might have been called but for,,,, Our defender never bent at the waist and stood total still with his hands in the air like he was being held at gun point AND the shooter seemed to almost (or did) wrap his legs around our man's waist while flopping back.

Definitely a foul on us but glad they didn't call it

Nope, ball should have been dead on the illegal screen on ZZ. You can't hand off the ball and step or lean into a defenders path. Seen that call a bunch of times this year. Betting the closest ref knew that too and did not want to have to deal with selective whistles questions.

I think it should have been a foul because ON moved slightly forward after the shooter had already started his shot. But there is judgement involved in the space to allow him to land. It has to be a normal shooting motion. The shooter jumped forward like competing in the Olympic long jump. A defender can't be penalized for a shooter causing themselves to not be able to land. If ON had stood completely still (once the shooter started his shot) then he shouldn't be called for a foul when the shooter lunges forward and lands on the defender.

Doesn't matter. We will take it. We get screwed and sometimes the opponent gets screwed. Evens out.

Agree and am really surprised that some commentators are not seeing it as some of us do.

It could have as well been so close to going either way but was a No Call/Make Up Call based on what happen previously with the push of Vescovi out of bounds.
This looked more like a leg hook and hold.

If you expect a call on the final possession when trailing by 3, you are losing. Auburn isn't Duke or UNC therefore the precedent is swallow the whistle. The officials clearly realized that Green was a flop artist.

It's adorable the media is only going to harp on the controversy of this win. A level of consistency and fairness to match the sport's officiating. Until we get a Kentucky(on the road at that) or Arizona type whistle miss Tennessee with the home whistle BS.

I watched the replay in SEC Network this morning, and it seems to me that the refs knew this was gonna be a physical game and decided to not call every ticky-tack foul. I saw a lot of fouls on both teams that didn't get called. I was torn on the shot at the end by Green; it did look like ON may have stepped in to him, but the leg kick probably was what caused th no call. The one grievous foul that wasn't called was against Santiago on the side boundary. I think it was Broome guarding him and very definitely pushed him with his left hand. All the refs were in positions that shielded them from seeing it, but if you watch the replay from the other side of the court, you can clearly see Broome's left arm against Santiago, and then he extends it to finish and get the ball back for Auburn.

Reactions: Lankykong and lynnh
I think Green gets he call if he doesn’t flop. Kicking his legs out like that and wrapping ON, it was hard for them to judge in real time whether he was flopping, and he got a tech for it earlier in the game. If he tries to land, he gets the call like Véscovi did.

Shooter has to have space to land. It was 100% a foul. We finally get a call (well a non-call in this case) and y'all try to pretend like we actually didn't. Upsetting the basketball gods.
You are right! If that was our last shot, Our fans would be going crazy!

Was it a foul, yep. In context you have to remember the entire game was a foul. My complaint last year was that the SEC was playing finesse ball while the rest of the nation was playing hard ball. How many times was the game delayed for cleaning up blood and bandaging players? When the game is allowed to become a physical slug fest judgement calls on what is a foul have to be made. The only complaint Pearl or Auburn should have is if they think the calls were inconsistent, I don't think they were both sides were allowed to beat the hell out of each other.

Remember last year when the SEC was not prepared for NCAA tourny play and the entire slate of teams were knocked out by the Sweet 16. We have great coaches, athletes, programs but we were not prepared to play bully ball.

I would not have been surprised with a foul call, but I do think Green’s history or at least earlier kick out call affected that decision.

The shooter kick-out and the charge/block call are two of the most frustrating calls. I know they can be tough, but it takes officials who understand verticality and closely watching the contact to get them correct.
Yes…he has that reputation. It could have gone either way IMO BUT most officials aren’t going to call that at the point in the game. Probably a good no call.

Reactions: NOLACHUCKEYTOM
I was at game ON went straight up and down. Shooter fried to create contact by extending leg..

If ON had established his vertical position before the shooter went into the act of shooting, then the ensuing contact would be a foul on the shooter, correct?

VN Store

Back