Wes Rucker....

I mean it’s pretty generic “get the articles out” kind of stuff. I don’t think he’s too off point. Glad he was wrong but this series could’ve easily went either way. These guys have to pump out articles…I know that has to get old and draining.

Not sure I understand the hate for Rucker. He seems like a pretty good guy and decent sports writer. My only gripe from this Red Bird fan is he is delusional about the cubbies! Other than that he does not deserve the vitriolic comments on social media
Yep. People are mean for the sake of being mean.

Reactions: WillisWG
Not sure I understand the hate for Rucker. He seems like a pretty good guy and decent sports writer. My only gripe from this Red Bird fan is he is delusional about the cubbies! Other than that he does not deserve the vitriolic comments on social media
Do you listen to his and McKee’s podcast? I listen cause I want to hear Heflin and it’s mindless “entertainment” while on a run, but he, and McKee to an extent constantly, talk down and insult their audience as if they’re baseball savants and nobody else understands the game. They’ll say something as simple as “what the fans don’t understand is…” and then proceed to talk about a nuance of the game of baseball. Their baseball careers ended in or after HS like many of us. Writing articles about the team/game results doesn’t give them some special intelligence that none of us are able to obtain.

Rucker is by far the best writer in Knoxville. Maybe you don't like his conclusion on some particular issue, but you should appreciate the fact he's an incredible writer. In my opinion, he's the best we've had in these parts, probably forever. I was going to say Siler and Harrison, but he's actually better than them.

Do you listen to his and McKee’s podcast? I listen cause I want to hear Heflin and it’s mindless “entertainment” while on a run, but he, and McKee to an extent constantly, talk down and insult their audience as if they’re baseball savants and nobody else understands the game. They’ll say something as simple as “what the fans don’t understand is…” and then proceed to talk about a nuance of the game of baseball. Their baseball careers ended in or after HS like many of us. Writing articles about the team/game results doesn’t give them some special intelligence that none of us are able to obtain.
I gave them a try, but they seemed to ramble and were so long winded and repetitive. An hour podcast for less than 30 min of actual content. Not my cup of tea. Still they at least try to act like adults and be professional. Even better...they don't eat and drink on the air. Still light years better than basilio.

I do. I don’t get condescension at all. Some people really do like to impute intent that isn’t there.

I do. I don’t get condescension at all. Some people really do like to impute intent that isn’t there.
He’ll literally say what the casual fan doesn’t get/understands/knows is. He’s assuming his audience doesn’t have an above elementary understanding of the game and then proceeds to tell us he feels that way then explains it to us. There’s often times not subtleties it’s blatant.

There is quite the array of opinions on Wes Rucker, haha.

"Rucker is a pecker"
"He seems like a pretty good guy and decent sports writer"
"He talks down and insults his audience as if they’re baseball savants and nobody else understands the game."
"Rucker is by far the best writer in Knoxville. In my opinion, he's the best we've had in these parts, probably forever."
"... so long winded and repetitive. Still light years better than Basilio."
"Rucker is a poor excuse for a sports writer. What a clown."
"He's objective and fair. Solid writer."
"He’s a bit of a homer."

I don't really follow him and I don't live in Tennessee. Now I really don't know what to think of him...

He’ll literally say what the casual fan doesn’t get/understands/knows is. He’s assuming his audience doesn’t have an above elementary understanding of the game and then proceeds to tell us he feels that way then explains it to us. There’s often times not subtleties it’s blatant.
Well if you identify as a casual fan, I guess he’s talking down to you. If you don’t, he’s not. Everyone isn’t a “casual” fan. And there are things casual fans don’t understand.

It’s never occurred to me to be bothered by that. Because it’s true.

To be fair, our most vocal fans don't have a clue.
Football: Incompletion (SHOULD HAVE RAN!) Run for 3yd (SHOULD HAVE PASSED!)
Baseball: Gives up 1 or 2 hits after 56 pitches (LEFT HIM IN TOO LONG!)
Basketball: Team hits a lot of 3s (RICK DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DEFEND!)

The simpleton response of "X didn't work. I KNEW we should have done Y!" to try to sound like you know sports is wild with fans. Based on his twitter replies, there's a lot of em in UT's base.

From our fan base, most of the vitriol is due to the fact that Rucker is a liberal. Which is a stupid reason to not like someone, and I say that as a conservative woman.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back