Wharton officially no longer on roster

That's unfortunate. He definitely left an impression on the program, just wish he could have done so on the field also. Good luck to him

I have several friends still students at UT, and all who met him said he was a complete prick. I have a feeling him leaving has more to do with his ego than anything else.

Reactions: 1 person
All decent athletes want to play asap, here's to wishing Mr Wharton good luck wherever he goes.....it will be interesting to see if Wharton is successful somewhere else.

I really hate to see him go. Follow him on twitter & he was very excited to be coming to UT & he did a whale of a job helping with the recruiting of the 2014 class!! He doesn't tweet much anymore but I figured it was due to FB season. Had no idea he was unhappy here. I hate it that he's leaving but it is his choice apparently, so best of luck to him wherever he lands this time. I hope there are no hard feelings because he was such a big Vol fan!

all decent athletes wanting to play right away should look in the mirror and see that they are FRESHMEN!!!

Reactions: 6 people
All decent athletes want to play asap, here's to wishing Mr Wharton good luck wherever he goes.....it will be interesting to see if Wharton is successful somewhere else.

Who cares if all decent athletes want to play early? Earn it, and when you don't, don't take your ball and go home or somewhere else, work harder. I don't know the kid, but it sounds like he's the result of helicopter parents who think he's better than he is.

you can always count on backhanded compliments and well-wishes when players transfer

Last edited:
Apparently other people think he can play other than his parents. He was going on visits immediately after receiving his release. I also heard Paul Fortenberry say he turned down several other offers.

Apparently other people think he can play other than his parents. He was going on visits immediately after receiving his release. I also heard Paul Fortenberry say he turned down several other offers.

I don't think that was really the issue. Just happens that we have recruited extremely well at the position he fits in at. Doesn't mean he is not talented, just that he is stuck in and behind a lot of talent. There are a lot of solid players that get in these positions across the country.

My point was that he's a freshman who is not physically imposing, very few wide receivers have a big impact right away unless they are 6'4" or bigger. I respect what he did for the recruitng class, but it's disappointing that he's choosing to transfer.

I would like to see us move on as a fanbase. I mean this kid is no longer a vol. Thanks for jump starting the program but you chose to leave. There has been 12 defects from the program but we only seem to discuss Wharton. I used to be a fan. Now let's talk about current and incoming VFL's. GBO!

To help kickstart the fanbase letting go of so many transfers...let's look at some other news worth holding on to...

1) The majority of the 2015 class, including studs like Jalen Hurd, Derek Barnett, Todd Kelly Jr, Dillon Bates, Jashon Robertson, Ethan Wolf, and Josh Malone are all still Vols and will be stars for us in the coming years. Yay!

2) We just signed our second consecutive top-5 recruiting class that included guys like Kahlil McKenzie, Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips, Preston Williams, and Darrin Kirkland Jr - all of which have the potential to be future All-Americans! Yay!

3) Almost our entire coaching staff stayed in tact minus Coach Bajakian, and while his replacement isn't Peyton Manning, he should be just fine considering a lot of our offensive schemes are adopted from him anyways. Yay!

4) ESPN is starting to like us! Yay!

5) We might be ranked before the season even starts! Yay!

6) Everyone's trying really hard and we are still great friends! Yay!

Reactions: 5 people
I have several friends still students at UT, and all who met him said he was a complete prick. I have a feeling him leaving has more to do with his ego than anything else.

Could all be very true. An ego is a common trait of a WR though. As big a Vol fan as he is and as much work as he did on the recruiting trail last year, it's just sad that he's not going to spend the next few years in PMS151.

People have been saying all kinds of things about him. All I know for sure is what I followed during his recruitment and it would be hard to argue that he didn't do big things for us in that way.

Go Vols

Wasn't there a kid during Fulmer's last few years who was kind of like Wharton and considered the class recruiter and he ended up leaving too?

I appreciate Vic's time as a Vol, and I know better than to be too hard on 18-19 year olds...however, i'll never pat a quitter on the back and say thanks. I hope Vic finds whatever he's looking for, but quitting says a lot about a person. Happy trails.

VN Store

Back