What about those bricks?

Imho, there are only a handful of players on this roster that are big-time SEC players, who have the physical ability and emotional mindset needed to win championships at Tennessee. Of the players we’ve seen play, maybe 7 or 8, that’s it. The next coach has a huge job to change the culture, change the level or toughness/physicality, and ultimately the roster.

Despite some prevailing thoughts among the fanbase, imho, this is not a ready-made situation that the next coach can walk into and win at a high level right away. It’ll be a significant re-building job.

True story. Nice to see a rational post. The next coach will inherit some talented skill position players but let’s be honest skill position players are a dime a dozen. Outside of Trey Smith you won’t have a SEC caliber offensive lineman (not counting if you can bring Cade Mays back in to the fold) The defensive line isn’t particularly great or deep either. The big issue I see is lineman typically take longer to develope and usually can’t contribute early on like skill position players. So even if the new coach recruits at a high level it is going to take time. That s why I hope they hire a X’s and O’s Coach who can “steal” a few wins early on until the talent and depth can be built up around the line of scrimmage.

bUTch has taken the program to new lows.

I hope everyone now realizes that it takes more than an orange tie, wanting to be here, and saying "dream job" to win in the SEC.

I think most of us get that, but I have doubts that the people hiring the coaches have picked up on it yet.

Imho, there are only a handful of players on this roster that are big-time SEC players, who have the physical ability and emotional mindset needed to win championships at Tennessee. Of the players we’ve seen play, maybe 7 or 8, that’s it. The next coach has a huge job to change the culture, change the level or toughness/physicality, and ultimately the roster.

Despite some prevailing thoughts among the fanbase, imho, this is not a ready-made situation that the next coach can walk into and win at a high level right away. It’ll be a significant re-building job.

Absolutely, it will be significant and changing the culture will play an integral part. The line play on both sides is inferior and a new coach will be challenged to coach up the men currently on scholarship while recruiting over them if they cannot adapt. No doubt, a few won't be able to adapt and some may drop out. But it is ever so clear that we don't have a single DLineman who can turn the ends or penetrate and bring pressure.

Last night for example, it wasn't a lack of effort. They gave the effort, but they were flat overmatched by LSU. Kelly never had a chance to even fight his way back to the LOS several times. They lived in our backfield. It was a huge mismatch when we were on offense.

Then when we were on defense, a noble effort couldn't erase the fact that our LBs and DBs make far more tackles game to game with teams running right through us. Our DEs and DTs and not sec caliber. They just aren't.

Reactions: 1 person
Lost me with the Veteran Hospital in a World War remark,probably never served because you would've understood our sacrifice.This is only a game, yes players get injury, some very serious (Inky),go visit a VA Hospital an thank those who allow us the opportunity to have a game day.

Get over yourself. There are a lot of veterans on here who have sacrificed, me included. He probably lost you because you have your head so far up your a$$ that you can't understand a simple analogy. Veterans like you who insist on making a mountain out of a mole hill with coments like this are embarrasing.

Reactions: 3 people
True story. Nice to see a rational post. The next coach will inherit some talented skill position players but let’s be honest skill position players are a dime a dozen. Outside of Trey Smith you won’t have a SEC caliber offensive lineman (not counting if you can bring Cade Mays back in to the fold) The defensive line isn’t particularly great or deep either. The big issue I see is lineman typically take longer to develope and usually can’t contribute early on like skill position players. So even if the new coach recruits at a high level it is going to take time. That s why I hope they hire a X’s and O’s Coach who can “steal” a few wins early on until the talent and depth can be built up around the line of scrimmage.

That's it. Trey Smith is the only one aside from Chance Hall coming back next year that can perform at this level. That includes linemen on the defensive side too.
Unless a new coach can add some power, weight, and toughness to Tuttle, McKenzie, and Kongbo, we are thin and soft there too. And all 3 will be entering their senior season.

Did you notice the beefaloes on the LSU front? Those guys have been eating hamburgers and steaks while our guys have been in the deli line. Yes, their guts hung over their belts but those guys could motor in spite of that extra weight. They could run and pursue as well as overpower our OL in the trenches. Kongbo looked svelte and trim compared to them. Almost like a stick man in comparison. He had 1 tackle last night and never could turn the end on his blocker. He gave it all he had, but he was simply overmatched. Tuttle is getting a little more active with 5 assisted tackles last night and there is hope for him after staying injury free this year and with another offseason ahead to continue rehab. McKenzie (sigh). Well maybe he should have been an OL from the start like his Dad.

Are we better off now than when Dooley left? I thought we were, until I watched the performance last night.

Not so sure now. We looked totally mismatched at every position, imo. Unfortunately I'm beginning to think the Fulmer years were an aberration for an otherwise average program.

Is it just me or did the bricks really start to fall apart after the whole Jalen Hurd mess? He was the poster boy for recruiting and was NFL bound if he finishes the season.

Did Butch allow that deal divide the locker room?

UT football really seemed to be on a rise until that point. I know we lost several games that we should not have, but recruiting was great and no one wanted to play us.
From then on we have been terrible. I also understand we lost players to the NFL but not until after the 2016 season was finished. We lost to SC and Vandy and have not won a SEC game since.
IMO Butch allowed that situation to ruin the team and ultimately his career at UT.
What really happened during that time period from Georgia-SC?

This is not intended to be a bashing of past or current players.. All the responsibility falls on Butch.

If the right coaching staff is hired we will win the east next year. We need a true motivator. Butch had nothing but excuses to why we couldn't win. That has to spill out on the field. Butch never won a game he shouldn't have. We need someone that can motivate young men into believing nothing is impossible.

If the right coaching staff is hired we will win the east next year. We need a true motivator. Butch had nothing but excuses to why we couldn't win. That has to spill out on the field. Butch never won a game he shouldn't have. We need someone that can motivate young men into believing nothing is impossible.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but I don't see anyway this team wins the east next year regardless of who the coach is.

Our O-line, outside of Trey Smith, looks like a high school O-line. Meanwhile, Bama has linemen that look like NFL prototypes. There's miles of separation between us and them.

Gonna be a few years before we can get to that level, IMO.

This program can't afford another 5 year rebuild at this point. I agree that results are needed in year one or zero or whatever you all call it.

VN Store

Back