What are your expectations now?

Russell needs to watch film of Stephanie Dolson there is no reason she should not be as good or better than Dolson besides coaching.

Deshields just needs to continue getting healthy and getting in game shape.

Graves has to keep the confidence and fire she started the season with and demand the ball.

Cooper needs to stay confident her shot will fall but if it isn't she can make plays and play defense.

Jackson just needs minutes. I see great things in her future.

Reynolds is not a point. She's a combo guard with limited offensive skills.

Carter would make a good 2 guard as long as she is willing to take the shot.

Middleton is better than given credit. I like her.

Dunbar needs to get healthy and realize we need her to shoot and open up the floor teams are going to play zone until we can beat it.

Moore has got to slow down. She plays best when she just allows her game to come instead of getting the ball and immediately putting up a shot she has been rushing in her limited minutes.

Jared. Please get healthy this team needs you.

Jones just get healthy

My starting line-up:
Cooper
Jackson
Deshields
Graves
Russell

That starting five will have a different type of swagger they will fight for a win. The court should never be without at least 1 or two of Diamond/Cooper/Russell/Graves.

Nared?

I keep telling this story over and over again but I think it highlights what is wrong with Holly. I was watching UConn play their first tournament game last year-can't remember who they were playing but the announcers were talking about how they got a chance to watch their practice before the tournament. I guess practices are open for the tournament. Anyway, they went on and on about during the practice UConn only worked on one thing-passing. They didn't shoot, dribble, rebound, anything-they worked on passing for two hours. That is how much Geno values passing. The announcers said they never saw a team so highly ranked focus on nothing but a fundamental like passing that late in the season. That is the difference between Geno and Holly. I guarantee you'll never see a CHW team work on nothing but passing for two hours.

Also, she really needs to implement no dribble practices. Somebody who has any connection to her please tell her.

Chattanooga was slaughtered by Connecticut. Although we are suppose to have great talent, Lady Vols are are no where close to their league.

Right now the leaders I see are Graves, Diamond, and Cooper so all three should be in the starting lineup. Cooper needs to play a little bit more under control because she can make a play on every possession if she uses a little more patience.
Jones is lost in space, Reynolds defense should keep her on the bench. She gave up two straight layups and the second was a three point play. Carter either needs to get some confidence or join Reynolds on the bench. Jackson needs a legitimate chance to take their playing time she looked good in limited minutes.
Mercedes needs to be more aggressive and move around the post more.
We need Nared back to see if she can make a difference.
Dunbar, Moore, and Middleton have to do something positive when they are in the game or be destined to the pine for the season.

You seriously see COOPER as a Leader and Starter?

Reactions: 1 person
I seriously see COOPER as a Leader and Starter, she is the real deal, just give her a few more games. :hi:

Me too. She is outstanding, especially considering she is only a freshman. However, under Holly too long and no telling how she'll turn out.

Me too. She is outstanding, especially considering she is only a freshman. However, under Holly too long and no telling how she'll turn out.

I couldn't agree more. Seems like every player under holly so far has taken a step back, with the exception being Harrison..

If you enjoy Lady Vol basketball accept what it has become. Otherwise I guess we'll move on and find other things to do.

I couldn't agree more. Seems like every player under holly so far has taken a step back, with the exception being Harrison..

As soon as Holly insists they throw the ball into the post and no quick shots, our guards forget how to shoot or play.

Cooper has become clumsy now.

Reactions: 3 people

I don't think it's so much players taking a step back under Holly vs. players not taking a step forward. Graves, for example, looks exactly the same as a Sr. as she did as a Fr. Still pretty good, mind you, but I haven't seen players get better. I have little doubt that Jordan will graduate still not able to hit the short 7-10 foot jumper 50% of the time, and that Carter will still be passing up open jump shots and lanes to the basket in her last college game.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it's so much players taking a step back under Holly vs. players not taking a step forward. Graves, for example, looks exactly the same as a Sr. as she did as a Fr. Still pretty good, mind you, but I haven't seen players get better. I have little doubt that Jordan will graduate still not able to hit the short 7-10 foot jumper 50% of the time, and that Carter will still be passing up open jump shots and lanes to the basket in her last college game.

I would say Carter and Reynolds have clearly taken a step back, which is why it's difficult to be too optimistic about Cooper's development....

I would say Carter and Reynolds have clearly taken a step back, which is why it's difficult to be too optimistic about Cooper's development....

which is troublesome when your head coach and one of her assistants were both Point Guards (although I feel we would be better served playing Reynolds and Carter off the ball) the problem for me from what I see is that we have a team full of combo guards and only 1 Point Guard. Middleton, Reynolds, & Carter play their best ball (imo) when they are off the ball and do not have to facilitate. Cooper will be fine, I think her "hate to lose mentality" makes her force things and when you aren't getting the right coaching it can have an effect on your play. If Holly stops forcing them to get the ball inside and let them play their games (Diamond, MeMe, & Cooper has a very high Bball IQ) I have no doubt that we will get things done in spite of poor coaching because the girl will dish to Graves and Russell more as they are driving to draw the defender and dishing to the Bigs. I have yet to see a guard that we have played so far stop Cooper or Diamond from driving to the paint.

which is troublesome when your head coach and one of her assistants were both Point Guards (although I feel we would be better served playing Reynolds and Carter off the ball) the problem for me from what I see is that we have a team full of combo guards and only 1 Point Guard. Middleton, Reynolds, & Carter play their best ball (imo) when they are off the ball and do not have to facilitate. Cooper will be fine, I think her "hate to lose mentality" makes her force things and when you aren't getting the right coaching it can have an effect on your play. If Holly stops forcing them to get the ball inside and let them play their games (Diamond, MeMe, & Cooper has a very high Bball IQ) I have no doubt that we will get things done in spite of poor coaching because the girl will dish to Graves and Russell more as they are driving to draw the defender and dishing to the Bigs. I have yet to see a guard that we have played so far stop Cooper or Diamond from driving to the paint.

Thank you that`s what`s i have said over and over. There is only one point guard on the team and that is Cooper. Forcing Reynolds, & Carter to play the point for years have hurt the team and there shooting ability. To me Holly has done a poor job in recruiting.

I think we should be playing a four one post motion offense against the zone. This would stretch the zone. I think playing two post players inside against the zones makes it easier for teams to pack it inside against a bad shooting team. I think we could go Diamond, Cooper, Carter, and Jackson on the perimeter or a couple others and let Mercedes or Graves be the player inside. This should open up driving lanes and at the very least would be more subjective to playing up tempo and pushing the ball to beat defenses for easy baskets.
I think the two post player system is a huge part of our problem considering how bad some of these players shoot the perimeter shot.

Right now the leaders I see are Graves, Diamond, and Cooper so all three should be in the starting lineup. Cooper needs to play a little bit more under control because she can make a play on every possession if she uses a little more patience.
Jones is lost in space, Reynolds defense should keep her on the bench. She gave up two straight layups and the second was a three point play. Carter either needs to get some confidence or join Reynolds on the bench. Jackson needs a legitimate chance to take their playing time she looked good in limited minutes.
Mercedes needs to be more aggressive and move around the post more.
We need Nared back to see if she can make a difference.
Dunbar, Moore, and Middleton have to do something positive when they are in the game or be destined to the pine for the season.
Mercedes forgets the roll part of pick and roll. She seems so weak Sunday, except for the first rebound of the game, she grabbed it with authority. I thought to myself she's ready, however that turned out to be her most aggressive play of the game!!! No wonder we got her. None the less I have alway been and always will be a lady vol fan. I just may be bald from pulling my hair out!!!!:loco:

Thank you that`s what`s i have said over and over. There is only one point guard on the team and that is Cooper. Forcing Reynolds, & Carter to play the point for years have hurt the team and there shooting ability. To me Holly has done a poor job in recruiting.
It was the same with Strickland

...I think the two post player system is a huge part of our problem considering how bad some of these players shoot the perimeter shot.

Thus my earlier post about removing Graves from the lineup.

I don't know how Holly will fix this but she struggles with too many options. If she only had 5 or 6 players available they'd play a little better.

Thus my earlier post about removing Graves from the lineup.

I don't know how Holly will fix this but she struggles with too many options. If she only had 5 or 6 players available they'd play a little better.

We don't have to remove Graves totally she may be our best post player to be determined. At best she would split time with Mercedes.
She needs to go to 8 and replace anyone that isn't playing great with one of the bench players in an effort to get eight players on the same page with the same effort.

What I saw Sunday is that Mercedes effort was very weak and so was Reynolds for parts of the game. Cooper had effort but was playing like a barbarian with no team concepts.

The players i saw playing as a team were Graves, Diamond, and Carter. I thought Me Me was also in her two minutes.

We don't have to remove Graves totally she may be our best post player to be determined. At best she would split time with Mercedes.
She needs to go to 8 and replace anyone that isn't playing great with one of the bench players in an effort to get eight players on the same page with the same effort.

What I saw Sunday is that Mercedes effort was very weak and so was Reynolds for parts of the game. Cooper had effort but was playing like a barbarian with no team concepts.

The players i saw playing as a team were Graves, Diamond, and Carter. I thought Me Me was also in her two minutes.

But the problem with Graves is at 6-2 and no lift she is a non-factor against the top teams post players. The bottom line is this, Holly right now must find a way to get N.Moore 6-4 into the mix. This team is very thin upfront Holly must let Moore play thru her problem. I think if she do Moore will perform better.

I seriously see COOPER as a Leader and Starter, she is the real deal, just give her a few more games. :hi:

She doesn't like to give the ball enough. She is a bad shot taker ......not a bad shot maker. I feel the same way about Diamond. They both can come down the court (3 on 1) and they will take the shot 95% of the time. A good coach doesn't allow that and a true team player would give it up to an easier basket

She doesn't like to give the ball enough. She is a bad shot taker ......not a bad shot maker. I feel the same way about Diamond. They both can come down the court (3 on 1) and they will take the shot 95% of the time. A good coach doesn't allow that and a true team player would give it up to an easier basket

As opposed to Carter and Reynolds who generally won't go near the basket instead floating out on the perimeter refusing to shoot. You can't score if you don't shoot and Cooper will at least shoot. People are of two minds on this. After two plus years of watching Carter and Reynolds I'm ready for an aggressive point guard that will attack the basket and put pressure on the defense.

Reactions: 2 people

If DeShields wants to play aggressively on offense and take shots, I think most coaches on a rather anemic offensive team would be just fine with it.

As CPS once said to Chamique Holdsclaw, we did not bring you here to lead the team in assists.

VN Store

Back