What did you expect

A lot of good posts here. 99Gator looks like we graduated the same year. I know you post on here often and I enjoy reading your posts and insight.

For me, the frustration boils down to lack of player development for the most part. Butch Jones can recruit, but he has failed to develop players to at least play to their potential, in my opinion. Fix that and I would support Jones more.

This is the best staff he's had... but they may not be able to overcome his decisions.

Yep.

First time with a dedicated QB coach and neither look prepared or fundamentally sound.

Biggest name he has had yet at D line coach and they respond opening weekend with 500 plus yards of rushing to a team that was held in check the following week by Jacksonville St.

Landed the hot shot DC last season and his team still manages to give up a Hail Mary to lose a game. There was no Dobbs to Jennings to save them this year though.

The names changed at WR and O line coaches yet both units look soft and inconsistent to say the least much like Year 1-4.

A hand picked man to become OC and he can't figure out how to put it in the hands of his best player with the game on the line.

The one name that hasn't changed in any of this: Butch Jones.

I don't know if you like doing it like I do... but if you do go back and watch the UMass game and focus on the OL. UMass stacked the box and then stunted or run blitzed on virtually every play. Along with that, they decided to defend the screen and leave some quick throws and routes down field open. UT with Dormady started figuring that out in the next to last drive of the 1st half. They were KILLING UMass with short throws against man coverage.

But either Jones or Scott INSISTED on running and especially on 1st down into an 8 man box and run blitzes. Maybe they were trying to make the OL beat them anyway... but few OL's are actually good enough to have more than one OL block multiple defenders. If you are going to run into that... you put an HB into the game, go under center, and run downhill at a crease. You can't afford the slow development of the spread look. You have to have a lead blocker at the point of attack. And it really doesn't hurt to have play action off that I look against man D.

Well, I totally thought we were going to more of a power football pro style offense in the off season. I guess I was just had high expectations. Every year I see the potential and it turns out we are just not there yet and it kills me...maybe I'm as much of the problem as anyone and just don't realize it, but I had high expectations. I knew were young, but deeep. When I say young I know half the folks out there lose their minds, but I'm talking about in depth. Especially at the skill positions. We need a year of development is what we really need. Butch is reloading right now. I just don't know if anybody is willing to do that. How does a 3 yr. QB with a arm, and a barn full of targets and an experienced Oline not light it up? It's infuriating. Alabama can play freshmen QB's and get 60 points!

Let me say this because we are in the same boat.

Right now, ESPN has an SEC power rankings listing. Vandy is ranked ahead of Tennessee and Florida.

Now, whether that's accurate or not really doesn't matter. For the thought to even legitimately creep into someone's head as being possibly true after Vandy just lost a game 59-0 is the textbook definition of sad.

No one should ever, at any point in time, do an eyeball test of Vandy, Tennessee, and Florida and think.....Vandy is better than the other two.

That's where we are.

Just ask yourself when the last time it was where Tennessee played 4 quarters of fundamentally sound, solid football.

If you are honest, that will tell you why people are upset regardless of any sort of expectations

Drops the mic

Well, I totally thought we were going to more of a power football pro style offense in the off season. I guess I was just had high expectations. Every year I see the potential and it turns out we are just not there yet and it kills me...maybe I'm as much of the problem as anyone and just don't realize it, but I had high expectations. I knew were young, but deeep. When I say young I know half the folks out there lose their minds, but I'm talking about in depth. Especially at the skill positions. We need a year of development is what we really need. Butch is reloading right now. I just don't know if anybody is willing to do that. How does a 3 yr. QB with a arm, and a barn full of targets and an experienced Oline not light it up? It's infuriating. Alabama can play freshmen QB's and get 60 points!

You overestimate a few things and underestimate others. The WR's are young... but shouldn't be if Jones had recruited the position effectively. They're making "normal" mistakes... that UT cannot afford. QD can't compensate like Dobbs could because Dobbs could run. JG can't compensate because he isn't there mentally... and he probably can't run like Dobbs either. Of the two, QD's mental advantage over JG makes him much better at overcoming the liability.

I don't think many understand how bad this WR group is right now. It isn't a lack of talent. They just have a half dozen guys making "reasonable" mistakes... but they're making them all at once.

UT isn't that young.... and are only young where they are because of Jones. He saw this criticism coming a year ago when he declared that it now takes 6 years instead of 3 or 4 it takes everyone else to build a competitive roster.

Jones just needs to prove he can coach. That's really it. It isn't that complex. For 4 years he's underperformed his roster. He just needs to turn that around and prove that HE is headed in the right direction by overachieving for once.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back