What other message boards are saying (South Carolina Edition)

For those inclined to blame the DBs or DB coach.

UT vs FBS opponents only is currently (SEC ranking):

- 2nd in passing yds allowed
- 5th in opponent QBR
- 3rd in yd/att
- 2nd in passing TDs allowed
- 2nd in ypg
- 9th in INTs
- 10th in passes broken up
- and.... 12th in completion % allowed.

That COMPLETELY points back to the gameplanning, philosophy, and playcalling of the DC. And no, UT is NOT less talented in the secondary than all of the teams who are playing more aggressive. This is a "bend don't break" type of DC. He plays in the hopes that the opponent given enough opportunities will make a mistake and stop themselves. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen- explains McCown and Mertz.

This is my BIGGEST worry with USCe. The Vols need to pressure Rattler, contest WR releases, and then jump the safety routes. I'm just not sure Banks will do it.

Was looking for this comment. Lived in Columbia a couple years and the comment about our campus being garbage is RICH. SC's campus is spread across a railroad that will delay you seemingly an infinite amount of times per day. And their stadium is a barren wasteland fairgrounds with nothing but industrial park and a Bojangles around it (no hate on the Bojangles tho). Hell, I've seen prisons that make their engineering building look like maximum security. Don't get me started on the town itself. Rant over, but what a statement lol.
South Carolina is where you go when they throw you out of NORTH Carolina.

Reactions: feathersax
I’m a Vol fan and always will be, but those of you on here citing all these statistics of our defensive prowess are hilarious. We beat up UVA, a bottom 5 team in the FBS, UTSA who was playing with a lot of backups, and Austin Peay, an FCS school. Against the only decent team we have played all year, our defense looked horrendous. The only thing that stopped Florida was the clock. If that first half clock kept going, so would the scoring.

Our defense is terrible schematically and in defensive back play. We aren’t as good as the stats say. We have to score to win. Rattler will extend plays and dunk and dink is all night. We can’t stop teams who are patient.

For those inclined to blame the DBs or DB coach.

UT vs FBS opponents only is currently (SEC ranking):

- 2nd in passing yds allowed
- 5th in opponent QBR
- 3rd in yd/att
- 2nd in passing TDs allowed
- 2nd in ypg
- 9th in INTs
- 10th in passes broken up
- and.... 12th in completion % allowed.

That COMPLETELY points back to the gameplanning, philosophy, and playcalling of the DC. And no, UT is NOT less talented in the secondary than all of the teams who are playing more aggressive. This is a "bend don't break" type of DC. He plays in the hopes that the opponent given enough opportunities will make a mistake and stop themselves. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen- explains McCown and Mertz.

This is my BIGGEST worry with USCe. The Vols need to pressure Rattler, contest WR releases, and then jump the safety routes. I'm just not sure Banks will do it.
My questions is, is the bend dont break defense something Heupel wanted or is it on Tim Banks? Its so frustrating to watch.

My questions is, is the bend dont break defense something Heupel wanted or is it on Tim Banks? Its so frustrating to watch.
Heupel said early on last year that he wanted to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. After one of the lackluster defensive performances there were some hints that he had challenged Banks. The D was more aggressive after.

IMHO, I think this is a problem and that Heupel will eventually need to replace Banks with someone who aligns more with his philosophy. It appears that Banks can't shake his tendencies which he has probably developed over years.

Heupel said early on last year that he wanted to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. After one of the lackluster defensive performances there were some hints that he had challenged Banks. The D was more aggressive after.

IMHO, I think this is a problem and that Heupel will eventually need to replace Banks with someone who aligns more with his philosophy. It appears that Banks can't shake his tendencies which he has probably developed over years.
Hey, Derrick Mason is available. He has had a pretty good track record. Knows the state of TN, decent recruiter.

Hey, Derrick Mason is available. He has had a pretty good track record. Knows the state of TN, decent recruiter.
Not sure if you are kidding but I was actually thinking serious about that while he called the game the other day. I always liked him and felt bad that he chose to coach Vandy. He's probably at a good point in his career too. At 53, he probably doesn't have time to be a HC again.

At least we’ll break a sound barrier…gonna be hard to do in a stationary stadium, but one chicken thinks so, at least. We’re going into the record books again!

2 tons of wet sand is not a lot of sand.
About half a standard pickup load.
Calling BS on this too, no way you notice that amount on a field.
I’d never heard this before either and agree that 2 tons of sand over a football field is not much, but I remember the field last year. It was awful and looked like a cow field you drive the cattle away from for it to recover. It looked like that of Nissan Stadium in our last MCB.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Not sure if you are kidding but I was actually thinking serious about that while he called the game the other day. I always liked him and felt bad that he chose to coach Vandy. He's probably at a good point in his career too. At 53, he probably doesn't have time to be a HC again.
I was being serious. I think Derek Mason is a better DC than Tim Banks. His stint at Oklahoma State should be a red flag. But his time at Auburn and Stanford are what sticks out to me.

Believe what you want. It was a lot of sand. I know that for a fact.
I believe you Cacky. If little usc did that and ended Hendon’s college career and his Heisman chance, then burn that little wannabe program in the ground at our house this weekend. Fans that are going to the game, run them out of OUR stadium. I’ll be doing my part at home. What a sh!thole program.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
The formula to defeating Tennessee is as simple as stopping a couple of their drives and then scoring on our drives. Florida proved that. Heupel will be out of there in two years when the fan base turns on him.
Some truth in this one, unfortunately.

I lived in Columbia six years and I didn't even know they had a campus. It's all mixed in with the rest of the crappy town. They play basketball in something in the middle of downtown that looks like the coliseum, and their stupid football stadium is on the state fairgrounds. They fancy themselves our rivals...I don't think we would ever consider them that. They have no tradition and very little history of any note.
When you wear an alternate uniform to create emotion and atmosphere that makes them a rival. Their record with us since 2005 is very competitive. I also remember Butch finally getting a last minute field goal to win the game and Neyland went wild. South Carolina is not that good, Tennessee has fallen and can’t get up. What have the Gamecoks ever won? SEC East? I do not remember a trophy for that.

2 tons of wet sand is not a lot of sand.
About half a standard pickup load.
Calling BS on this too, no way you notice that amount on a field.
This times 1000.

I just assume whoever told the story meant to say 200 tons of sand but just didn't know what a ton of sand is.

Reactions: theroyz71

VN Store

Back