What Will Happen In Our Secondary?

In 3 years of Heupel we've seen (at least flashes of) quality and/or improvement at every position except one. Considering what Banks inherited, he's shown the defense has over achieved–although inconsistent. The d-line has looked really good most of the time. Our special teams has been incredible. We've shown we can be explosive in the passing game and running game. And yet, through 3 whole years the secondary has been crap.

I get that they're looking to rebuild the secondary, but it's been 3 years. It's past the time for results. Have most of the position coaching changes happened around the country? Is Martinez staying? I sure hope Heupel isn't loyal to a fault.

The secondary has been the weakest link on the football team so far during Heupel's tenure at Tennessee.

Reactions: Swiftybaby
I’m not smart enough to know if the problem is talent, coaching, or scheme.

So, I’ll just say that I really like watching a defense that can and does contest every yard. I despise watching a defense that gives up one first down after another in hopes of finally stopping the other team in the red zone when the playing field is compressed.

It’s like a BB player conceding a layup in hopes of blocking the shot off the glass.

If the DB turnover is part of a more aggressive approach, I’m a fan.

We are going to struggle because the staff did not make any commitment to playing our young guys at DB this year. Matthews, Conyer, and Slaughter should have seen significant playing time during the Vandy game and the Citrus bowl. AP and Hubbs have repeatedly stated that this was a missed opportunity.

Considering who coaches our secondary, I have a feeling it’s gonna continue to be poor. Doesn’t seem like Heupel wants to improve the secondary.

When Heupel was hired, every knowledgeable Vol fan knew the defense was a complete mess. There were very few good players on Pruitts last defense & a couple of those left. The defense hasn’t been great but it has improved each yr statistically. The young talent on defense is most promising for the future. My major area of concern going forward is the interior DL after this season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back