Where do we stand with Mizzou?

Except Hurts was a big supporter of Tua. Bryant wasn’t at all. Hell of a team player I tell you
Thats great, some handle it better than others. Jalen had already won an NC, KB had not...makes supporting the other guy a bit easier. Not sure its a reason to bash a kid for switching schools for playing time.

Ask yourself, how do you think a top 25 team should do against Mizzou? I'd expect the top 25 team to win 7-8 out of 10 times. Top 25 program should be the minimum goal with the capacity our program has to recruit and allure top prospects

On the other hand, Mizzou consistently recruits 3* and lower prospects. They have overperformed and to win the east twice and have winning records at times.

But, If we recruit and develop those players like we should there is no excuse to losing to Mizzou. We have the resources and history to do so much more than them.

Kelly B is definitely not Drew L, but he has a different set of tools. Remember, he is something like 17-2 as a starter, and was injured early in one of those.

He can convert 3rd and 6 with his legs if he gets outside the pocket. He is also very good at the zone read. "Not Lock" isn't necessarily "Not dangerous".

He would still be Clemson's starter if they hadn't recruited a generational QB line Trevor L.

Why do people continue to state the idiotic statement about a QBs record as a starter?

Reactions: 08Vol
Since 2001 (when Pinkel arrived) we’ve been even programs. Overall Missouri has a slightly better record since the Pinkel hire. Obviously Tennessee was once far better but it’s hard to ignore the last 20 years of football.

I guess we "should" beat them if you subscribe to the "we are Tennessee notion." However if you live in reality, out of seven games, we have beat them 2 times.
During the worst stretch in UT history. Heck even Vandy has a winning record vs us since Missou has been here.

Is this a joke? During the Fulmer era, I would say Missouri would have beaten us about as many times as Vandy did.

Eh....
Maybe not. It took a miracle for Nebraska to beat Mizzou the same year they demolished Tennessee.
Not sure why people are so down on them. They own us and Florida...

Since 2001 (when Pinkel arrived) we’ve been even programs. Overall Missouri has a slightly better record since the Pinkel hire. Obviously Tennessee was once far better but it’s hard to ignore the last 20 years of football.
2-5 record h2h, not even

We should thump them 9 out of 10 years.

I rank them below South Carolina in the pecking order.
that's exactly my thoughts. USCe is in a tier above Missou historically its just that UT and USCe are both on extended down cycles. In my lifetime South Carolina and Arkansas have kinda both been in that 60/40 zone. Where we beat them 6 times out of 10. Historically Vandy, UK, OleMIss, and Miss State have been more in the 80/20 range. Vandy and Kentucky are weird because even though we have almost always dominated them they also have almost always usually played their best games against us yearly. We have, because of geography, always been their natural SEC rivals.

I think honestly the way the world works now the playing field is more equal near the middle and bottom though the top has extended its lead. The difference between 3 and 14 is a lot closer than it used to be but the difference between 1/2 and the rest is bigger than ever. When the Saban dynasty is broken maybe that changes and its happening slowly. Teams are starting to close the gap with those elites. But its gonna come down to who is next.

that's exactly my thoughts. USCe is in a tier above Missou historically its just that UT and USCe are both on extended down cycles. In my lifetime South Carolina and Arkansas have kinda both been in that 60/40 zone. Where we beat them 6 times out of 10. Historically Vandy, UK, OleMIss, and Miss State have been more in the 80/20 range. Vandy and Kentucky are weird because even though we have almost always dominated them they also have almost always usually played their best games against us yearly. We have, because of geography, always been their natural SEC rivals.

I think honestly the way the world works now the playing field is more equal near the middle and bottom though the top has extended its lead. The difference between 3 and 14 is a lot closer than it used to be but the difference between 1/2 and the rest is bigger than ever. When the Saban dynasty is broken maybe that changes and its happening slowly. Teams are starting to close the gap with those elites. But its gonna come down to who is next.

Yeah it seems like there is a lot more parity in the league than there was even just 10-15 years ago. The Mississippi schools, Vandy and UK aren't necessarily locks for the bottom of their divisions anymore.

Missouri may not have the recruiting rankings, facilities or fan support that most SEC teams have and we make fun of them for not being a cultural fit but facts are they averaged 10 wins in the five years prior to joining the league and then won the East twice after they joined.

Missouri is 10th out of 14 SEC teams in historical winning percentage (ahead of only South Carolina, Kentucky, Vandy, and Miss State). Last year, Tennessee had the 15th most recruited talent in the nation per 247 Sports, Missouri was 42nd.

It is an absolute humiliation and damning indictment of the last 10 years of UT football that we have struggled so much against Missouri since they joined the SEC in 2012. We should be curb stomping them routinely.

They should have never joined the SEC. They are in for some long term butt whuppins.

Mizzou has like 680 wins alltime. If it wasn’t for the period of neglect in 1984-1994 we’d be a 700 win program like A&M and Arkansas, for reference. South Carolina had a below .500 record fewer than 10 years ago. They’re not a better program than Mizzou historically.

Overall as a historical program, I’d put Mizzou ahead of Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and tied with Ole Miss. Arkansas and A&M aren’t exactly intimidating programs anymore but their old history and tradition puts them clearly above us, but I think Arkansas, Missouri, A&M, and Ole Miss are all on the same echelon in the current SEC.

Last edited:
I think the parity has come about because of there being more talent available overall. The difference between your 3 stars and 5 stars isn't what it used to be. Back in the day you could be a physical specimen and dominate based purely on that. Teams might have one guy that ran a 4.4 if lucky. Now we live in an age where guys at schools like UTC on the bench would have been starters at Bama in the 80's or 90's. The differences between the top kids is more in work ethic, experience and IQ. Take a guy Like Cordarelle Patterson. If he could run a route or learn a playbook he'd have people forgetting Randy Moss by now. In todays NFL he wont get a chance to ever really shine because there are 3 other guys on the roster with 70% of his physical talents but have those other skills he is missing. 20 years ago the gap between him and those next 3 guys was much bigger physically.

Kids are training earlier now and they physical gap is closing because we are reaching the limits of what humans are capable of. When I was in high school it was a big deal if u could dunk. Now nearly everyone on a basketball team can dunk its about what kind of crazy stuff u can do with the ball in the air. Same concept. Seriously there were guys in the 80's and 90's (a lot of them) in the NBA that couldn't dunk. These days you aren't making a roster at the local community college if you dont have that level of athletiscism.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

We havent proven to be closing the gap with anyone, except uscjr.

Kelly B is definitely not Drew L, but he has a different set of tools. Remember, he is something like 17-2 as a starter, and was injured early in one of those.

He can convert 3rd and 6 with his legs if he gets outside the pocket. He is also very good at the zone read. "Not Lock" isn't necessarily "Not dangerous".

He would still be Clemson's starter if they hadn't recruited a generational QB line Trevor L.
I like him. But he's not in the same universe as Lock. Lock at any top program... would be viewed like Lawrence.

He brings athleticism and a good arm. He does not bring a knowledge of Mizzou's nuanced O, a history of great decision making, or any experience playing behind an OL with middling talent vs weekly doses of elite front 7's.

VN Store

Back