Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

I bought a ch 6 after winning it in a lottery. I didn’t know anything about it but liked the packaging. I haven’t opened it yet so maybe I will like it but reading about it has made me regret the purchase.

Drinking some Old Forester Barrel Proof bourbon tonight. So good but very difficult to find, so I am going to miss it once it is gone
It may be a great bottle, I haven't had it yet. The Old Forester SBBF is good stuff. I don't have a bottle, but a friend gave me a couple of ounces from his.

Reactions: volfaninky
Just opened this one over the weekend. Meh, not bad but nothing special. I'm a sucker for a cool bottle.

Attachments

• 20230901_195650.jpg
    20230901_195650.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Wireless1
Outside of collecting Weller 12, Elmer T Lee, Eagle Rare and Col EH Taylor, my go to(s) are Old Forrester Statesman, Russell’s Reserve 10 year, Buffalo Trace and Woodford Double Oaked. I could go with those four the rest of my days and be completely satisfied from a quality/price point ratio.

Reactions: txbo
Was at my local package store today picking up some Tennessee Hills lemon drop for the wife and something interesting happened. I always check for buffalo trace offerings when there, and there are almost never any in stock. I noticed a guy in the rum section holding a bottle of Blantons. I asked if there were any more and he said no, but I could have it because he didn't really drink bourbon! I offered to buy him a bottle of rum and he refused, said he was glad to do it. My faith in humanity is restored, and maybe it's a good omen for tomorrow. GBO!!

Attachments

• 20231020_160421.jpg
    20231020_160421.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
@CAVPUT

I'm not sure how to answer, as I'm fairly new to the bourbon scene. I've had this one, their 91 proof, and a couple of bottles of Breckenridge.

I did enjoy this. To me, a little kick, but not too much with a strong, less sweet finish. I enjoy mine straight and my wife enjoyed this one iced down.

Not sure if this helps... Maybe others can chime on their thoughts and perhaps give a more knowledgeable description for you (and I can learn as well 🙂).

Reactions: CAVPUT
@CAVPUT

I'm not sure how to answer, as I'm fairly new to the bourbon scene. I've had this one, their 91 proof, and a couple of bottles of Breckenridge.

I did enjoy this. To me, a little kick, but not too much with a strong, less sweet finish. I enjoy mine straight and my wife enjoyed this one iced down.

Not sure if this helps... Maybe others can chime on their thoughts and perhaps give a more knowledgeable description for you (and I can learn as well 🙂).
It does. Thanks.

Chattanooga isnt a bourbon. It's a barley based whiskey. More like Jameson or Bushmills than bourbon. It's less sweet because of the lack of corn in the mash. Still a good pour just not bourbon

Reactions: GA VOL
Chattanooga isnt a bourbon. It's a barley based whiskey. More like Jameson or Bushmills than bourbon. It's less sweet because of the lack of corn in the mash. Still a good pour just not bourbon
It says straight whiskey* on on the bottle 🤷🏻‍♂️

*as in not bourbon whiskey

Founders is a blend, so it can't carry the bourbon label. All other Chattanooga whiskey is bourbon. Except for their finished stuff, which I wouldn't recommend. They have a higher barley than some other blends. But it's still 51%+ corn mash bill.

Last edited:
@CAVPUT

I prefer the 111 over the 91.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So I typed bourbon instead of whiskey.... Mistake made. Not the end of the world 🤷
Meh, bourbon, whiskey, whisky....much ado about nothing. This idea that you're not allowed to call a spirit "bourbon" if it's not made in Kentucky or like the "e" or absence thereof makes a difference? Gotta say I wouldn't wanna sit and have a drink with someone so anal about things like this. You call it whatever you like. All I care about is how does it taste. I saw no problem with your post....none.

Might make a few of you big spenders cringe, but bought a bottle of Jameson Orange the other day just to see, and because it's only $24. Jameson is a pretty satisfying cheap daily sipper anyway. Is actually pretty nice for a flavored whisky, and an ice cube cranks it up a bit. Saving up for a bottle of Brenne. ($65). I'm not a big dollar spirit spender. I prefer finding the good stuff around $30 give or take that stands neck and neck with the expensive stuff. And like wine I'm pretty good at pulling it off. Proper 12 Irish Apple was also quite good.

VN Store

Back