Who Was Your First Favorite CFB Player?

Leonard Little was probably the first name that I remember saying that I “wanted his jersey” not knowing at the time they didn’t make licensed CFB player jerseys

Reactions: MAD
Larry Seivers

My dad played center for the Vols in the early '60s. By the mid-70s he was project manager building a chemical plant in South Africa. No way to see/hear Vols games in SA then, so he would have a friend mail cassette tapes of John Ward to us, which would arrive about a month later

The whole family would gather Friday night after dinner during the 1976 season and listen on the huge ass entertainment console. Seivers captured the imagination of single digits me and my father's enthusiasm certainly played a part

Last edited:
Larry Seivers

My dad played center for the Vols in the early '60s. By the mid-70s he was project manager building a chemical a plant in South Africa. No way to see/hear Vols games in SA then, so he would have a friend mail cassette tapes of John Ward to us, which would arrive about a month later

The whole family would gather Friday night after dinner during the 1976 season and listen on the huge ass entertainment console. Seivers captured the imagination of single digits me and my father's enthusiasm certainly played a part
That is the coolest story.

Reactions: ArdentVol
image-0.jpg

Alvin Harper.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Too many choices, a lot of great players at UT throughout the years .
For me though one of my favorites was Jamal Lewis . Went on to become UT’s best running back to ever play in the NFL . Dude was a fricking beast, before their was beast mode.

Reactions: MAD and ArdentVol
Larry Seivers

My dad played center for the Vols in the early '60s. By the mid-70s he was project manager building a chemical plant in South Africa. No way to see/hear Vols games in SA then, so he would have a friend mail cassette tapes of John Ward to us, which would arrive about a month later

Very cool story!!! Thanks for sharing

The first one I really remember following was Jeff Pyburn, QB at GA back in the day. Pre-Buck Belue. His dad was DC, or a D position coach. THey were from Athens area and the Pyburn family was friends with our close family friends (surrogate family) in Jasper, AL somehow. So, as a youngster, it was cool to have met the GA DC and QB and stretch the truth on being "friends" or atleast "knowing them". Later in his career, Jim Pyburn would also coach D at Abilene Christian where I attended for a couple years. Seems as though Jeff has made a long post football career as a PI lawyer in Phoenix. Odd to permanently root up in the desert hailing from the south.

Edit: Got curious and looked Jeff up. I forgot he was also a baseball player and made it AAA with San Diego before going to buffalo 4 years after footaball for an invite to try out for DB or LB, and added a career ending injury to his list of collegiate injuries and was out of sports. Having an off-season house in Arizona already he just stayed there and went to law school and has been with hte same firm his whole life since. Had one son play QB at Jacksonville State who would have finished in the last 4-6 years. A daughter who played volleyball at THe Masters Univsersity in Cali, and a son who was a OL at Montana Tech. I also remember Willie McClendon as the RB during Jeff's years at GA. He was really good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and peaygolf
Larry Seivers

Wow. Very neat story and memory. Makes you really appreciate todays technology. I remember when we first moved to southern Indiana calling different sports bars who see if they would have the TN game on so we could watch it. If not we would listen to the telecast on our computer.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Willie Gault, then William Howard, Kelly Ziegler . Too many to mention

Willie G was my next and all-time fav as we went to same HS 4 years behind him. My first memeory of a fav was Pyburn at GA, and Gault came on the college scene the year after Pyburn graduated at GA.

VN Store

Back