Who would you least want to face in an Elite Eight game?

I wonder how many teams are out there that have absolutely NO INTEREST in playing Tennessee in the tournament. That is the question enquiring minds want answered!
If we are a 1 or 2 seed, we will be the media pick to most likely be upset. You can book it!

Reactions: vol94
I would love to play Kansas again. Avoid UCONN/Especially Houston, they are full gown men with NBA Bodies. Want no part of a grind out game with them.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
There is no way to guard Edey with the amount of protection the refs give him. He camps out in the paint, goes over the back frequently and doesn't get called for much. Gets 10+ FTA per game. Plus, Lance Jones adds a dimension they didn't have last year and they are surrounded by good shooters. Beatable for sure, but I don't like the matchup for us. After Purdue, UCONN would cause us some problems. Not sure we have anyone who could guard Newton including Mashack. They have playmakers, shooters and size.

I know the metrics love Houston, but I would like to play them the most to reach the Final Four. It would be an ugly game but they would have just as much problem scoring as we would and our size gives us an advantage. They aren't the best shooting team from anywhere on the court and very perimeter oriented offensively.

I wonder how many teams are out there that have absolutely NO INTEREST in playing Tennessee in the tournament. That is the question enquiring minds want answered!
TN is really scary. Tons of depth and nobody to abandon on defense to *2 team, gotta stay in front of that little fireplug PG, deal w a quality 7footer, contend w this Larry Bird/Dr. J hybrid scorer, and then theres the little matter of that defense! Yeah, I wouldn't want us.

Yeah, I identified those 4 in a previous thread a couple of weeks ago….Someone replied, “None of that really matters….”
I was repeatedly told in another thread yesterday we would have almost just as many fans in Los Angeles as we would Dallas or Detroit, since there are direct flights from Knoxville.

Purdue has had our number in football and basketball.

Marquette and Houston are the two teams that would be the toughest to go through to get to the program's first Final Four.
Horrible game ending calls by refs in both football and basketball. They didn’t have our number. Still irks me how we got screwed over in both sports.

If we make it that far, which one of these teams would you hate to have to beat to make our first ever Final Four?

UCONN
PURDUE
HOUSTON
ARIZONA
MARQUETTE
DUKE
KANSAS
NCAROLINA
I would rather play one of those teams than an SEC team. Worst would be Houston, Kansas, Purdue or UNC simply because of their bigs and Houston defense. Less of a factor than before due to Aidoo's improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
Wouldn't like a match up with the likes of UCONN, Purdue or Iowa State. Early I would avoid Indiana State

I am concerned about the teams with the strong offensive/defensive big man. Obviously, TN is going to face teams that can trip them up at any time if they do not bring their A game on a consistent basis.
So this sounds like Duke, but my understanding is that Grayson Allen graduated already.

Reactions: EasternVol
Want nothing to do with Purdue. If we doubled Edey, their guards would eat us up.

Let's stay out of Purdue and Kansas bracket.

Rather play Uconn than Houston.

Reactions: ArdentVol
All these teams present serious challenges, but I’m trying to talk myself into believing that this Vol team is finally rounding into the team we thought they could be. I truly believe they are capable of finishing 4-0. That’s not to say they will. If they do, they will be the team the other guys don’t want to face.

Purdue has had our number in football and basketball.

Marquette and Houston are the two teams that would be the toughest to go through to get to the program's first Final Four.
Purdue owned refs have had our number in at least two games. If they ever bring back the 3 second rule Edey becomes a non factor.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Not afraid to play any of those teams. But I would least want Duke. They’d have revenge on their minds.

VN Store

Back