Why didnt Rocker go to UT ?

reality is practically every players family qualifies for financial aid based on income to go to Vanderbilt. Those few who don’t, Lieter being one probably, get a full ride off the 11.7.
That’s not how it works; qualifying for aid doesn’t mean you get your entire expenses taking care of. You’re still out of pocket what your family’s finances say you can afford. 1/2 to 3/4 of their team is from private schools so their families likely have middle to upper class incomes which could still qualify them for aid but that’s aid beyond what Vandy says you’re on the hook for. Dansby Swanson infamously graduated with student loan debt to attend Vandy. I can only guess that it was a scenario where his families income, assets, etc. said you can afford $15k and we’ll cover the rest with aid, however they couldn’t actually produce the money so he used student loans.

That’s not how it works; qualifying for aid doesn’t mean you get your entire expenses taking care of. You’re still out of pocket what your family’s finances say you can afford. 1/2 to 3/4 of their team is from private schools so their families likely have middle to upper class incomes which could still qualify them for aid but that’s aid beyond what Vandy says you’re on the hook for. Dansby Swanson infamously graduated with student loan debt to attend Vandy. I can only guess that it was a scenario where his families income, assets, etc. said you can afford $15k and we’ll cover the rest with aid, however they couldn’t actually produce the money so he used student loans.

Or his parents could afford the $15,000 or so and chose to take out a low interest student loan as the “cash” earns more in other investments, lots of higher net worth folks will take out a student loan For that same reason. That whole thing was blown way out of proportion IMO......makes a good sound bite..........

Reactions: txbo
Or his parents could afford the $15,000 or so and chose to take out a low interest student loan as the “cash” earns more in other investments, lots of higher net worth folks will take out a student loan For that same reason. That whole thing was blown way out of proportion IMO......makes a good sound bite..........
Even if they could afford it, that still proves the point that’s it’s not a full ride deal to Vandy. It’s no doubt an as good or better deal than most state schools can offer you and is one of the best advantages in baseball.

And that $15k is about 1/3 of the monetary value of a VU scholarship. So that player can be placed on 1/3 baseball scholarship & thus get 100%. Minority students often qualify for VU scholarships regardless of income level for diversity purposes. My son played summer ball with about a half dozen VU players. All were on full scholarships one way or another. None were great players or highly rated.

And that $15k is about 1/3 of the monetary value of a VU scholarship. So that player can be placed on 1/3 baseball scholarship & thus get 100%. Minority students often qualify for VU scholarships regardless of income level for diversity purposes. My son played summer ball with about a half dozen VU players. All were on full scholarships one way or another. None were great players or highly rated.
So Vandy gives out full rides to baseball players who aren’t very good to meet their minority/diversity quota? Their 5x top ranked recruiting classes would disagree.

Reactions: ksgovols
So Vandy gives out full rides to baseball players who aren’t very good to meet their minority/diversity quota? Their 5x top ranked recruiting classes would disagree.

These players weren’t players of the level that you’d invest a full baseball scholarship for. They were bullpen pitchers, backup catcher, utility infielders. But they were good players, probably all star high school kids, that were also probably good students. Every team has these type kids. Vandy does now.

Corbin admitted on radio a couple yrs ago that only about 80% of his roster is on a full scholarship of some type. Using the NCAA roster limit of 35 I believe, that would leave 7 players not on full rides. Those are probably walkons or similar players. Maybe players promised money in 2nd or 3rd years

Last edited:
Wasn't his Dad at UT coaching at the time ? Of course I know his did changes teams every 2 years & we sucked then

Better question is "Why would he?" Pitchers are committing between their freshman and sophomore season. What was UT doing when Kumar was a sophomore? When Stallings was Vandy's basketball coach, his kid went to North Carolina on a baseball scholarship. Coaching tenures are pretty volatile. Why didn't he go to Auburn where his Dad and Uncle graduated? Auburn has more baseball history than UT. CTV is changing the culture, but I don't blame Kumar for picking Vandy. Who wouldn't?

Better question is "Why would he?" Pitchers are committing between their freshman and sophomore season. What was UT doing when Kumar was a sophomore? When Stallings was Vandy's basketball coach, his kid went to North Carolina on a baseball scholarship. Coaching tenures are pretty volatile. Why didn't he go to Auburn where his Dad and Uncle graduated? Auburn has more baseball history than UT. CTV is changing the culture, but I don't blame Kumar for picking Vandy. Who wouldn't?

Vitello had a few that chose TN over Vandy.
He will get more if we upgrade the facilities. CTV believes that UT fans will pour into LNS like Vandy fans will never do in Nashville.

Reactions: CAVPUT
He will get more if we upgrade the facilities. CTV believes that UT fans will pour into LNS like Vandy fans will never do in Nashville.
They absolutely will. All we need is a real commitment to CTV and facilities and we'll be running with the likes of Vandy, Arky and LSU. Great days are ahead for UT if the admin and big donors want them.

Vitello never had a shot at Kumar Rocker. It was a done deal before he was hired. But we are on the right track and CTV is a hell of a recruiter. Gonna have to upgrade the facilities.

Vitello never had a shot at Kumar Rocker. It was a done deal before he was hired. But we are on the right track and CTV is a hell of a recruiter. Gonna have to upgrade the facilities.

Correct. I didn’t mention Rocker though. He had already signed when Vitello was hired.

I said Vitello has a few players on his roster right now that Vandy recruited. CTV also has kids committed right now in future classes that Vandy has and still is recruiting.

VN Store

Back