Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

Thats why no other takers in the portal ?
Who said there weren't? Who said he wanted any?

I cannot recall who it was right now but when he was in the portal there were other programs rumored to be recruiting him. You seem to be a Bailey or nothing guy... pretty disappointing since I've considered you a pretty thoughtful, even minded poster... If Milton is as bad as you are trying to suggest, what does it say that he's beating Bailey out or even competing with him?

I think UT has 3 guys with SEC starting ability. I'll be happy with any of the 3 and will be glad to know that if one doesn't work out there are two more great options. I'm struggling to understand why any Vol fan would want to claim that any of them is "bad".

I cannot recall who it was right now but when he was in the portal there were other programs rumored to be recruiting him. You seem to be a Bailey or nothing guy... pretty disappointing since I've considered you a pretty thoughtful, even minded poster... If Milton is as bad as you are trying to suggest, what does it say that he's beating Bailey out or even competing with him?

I think UT has 3 guys with SEC starting ability. I'll be happy with any of the 3 and will be glad to know that if one doesn't work out there are two more great options. I'm struggling to understand why any Vol fan would want to claim that any of them is "bad".
I'm just being a bearded vol today

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer

I don't necessarily think he is Bad. But 3 years in the Big Ten and not really stepping up, vs Bailey with no spring practice limited fall practice and was still better than any qb we had last year.... Couple that with it was in the SEC, I do see him as a guy that will get it done. Milton I am not sure about because hes three years older and hasn't to this point. Not saying he can't and I hope he does. But the price is high and could potentially hurt us in more ways than 1. I want to see Milton, Hooker and Bailey all play next week. I think that will settle a lot of reserve.

Reactions: 508mikey
For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
They said before fall camp started they would like to keep the starter secret until game time if that was even possible. Probably so the media doesn't have time to get fans in a panic. After the game there will be plenty to write about.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I don't necessarily think he is Bad. But 3 years in the Big Ten and not really stepping up, vs Bailey with no spring practice limited fall practice and was still better than any qb we had last year....
Everything in context... including Bailey's "stats" and effectiveness last fall. You aren't wrong completely. But how they've competed head to head matters much more.

Couple that with it was in the SEC, I do see him as a guy that will get it done.
I actually hope and maybe even believe you are right. I think he's a good QB and a good option. In context, a lot of his stats last fall were in junk time. He played live minutes against UF and did well... but after getting yanked (did I mention Pruitt was stupid on QB's?)... Shrout did better. I don't want to poopoo what he did. He did well for what he knew and the opportunity he had. But the only game UT won or was truly competitive where he played a big role was Vandy. That's fine for a Fr. Maybe even really "good" for a Fr. But it doesn't prove he should win this competition.

WHOEVER wins this thing MUST be MUCH more effective than they've ever been before. That's Bailey, Milton, or Hooker.

Milton I am not sure about because hes three years older and hasn't to this point.
Two I think but not quibbling over it. He has incredible physical talent. If he wins the job and Heupel is able to harness that talent then UT is in for something truly special. But if he can't get it right between the ears... we will all be glad that UT has options as good as Bailey and Hooker.

But the price is high and could potentially hurt us in more ways than 1.
Don't really think so. If he fails then I don't think CJH will hesitate to replace him. If he doesn't fail then Bailey may well transfer. UT will likely sign Jackson and probably take someone in the portal if HB leaves.

I want to see Milton, Hooker and Bailey all play next week. I think that will settle a lot of reserve.
I truly don't. I want to see a decisive coach make a decision and place confidence in one guy as #1 then give him his shot to prove he deserves it. I want #2 to get as many reps as possible knowing that #1 may fail or get injured. Not being "ugly" but I hope we don't see #3 vs BGSU. The top two need live reps going into Pitt, UF, and Mizzou.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Its going to be a horserace if this 'system' fails and the next coach has a complete rebuild - this system left the SEC when Meyer did because it was being mimicked by a few others ( See Auburn -- where is Gus Now ?)
This is nowhere near the same system that Mullen ran for Urban…or Malzahn’s. That will be illuminated at UCF this season.

sad - what could have been
maxresdefault.jpg

There is nothing from his freshman year that would lead anyone to make this statement. He had the type of freshman year that any 3 star freshman QB could have. We don't see any practices except for routes against air and the only thing we can glean from that is, Bailey has the weakest arm of the 3, he's the least athletic of the three, and he's the slowest runner of the 3.

Maybe, he's the 2nd coming of Tom Brady....... I hope he is, but there is no reason why anyone outside of the program would gush over this QB.........until he plays like a 5 star recruit in an SEC game.

I don't know who has performed the best in any of the closed sessions or in the 2 scrimmages. But, for the amount of money these coaches are making, they should have a vested interest in playing the guys who give the Vols the best chance to win. The last group thought that was Guarantano and maybe it was. But, they certainly died on that hill.

Reactions: KptVFL
My humble opinion, as someone who’s been in a position to compete for the starting position. A coach that never hands it to you because they don’t want you to get comfortable has always made me perform at my peak. Doesn’t matter if you were last year’s starter, you still better be beating the guy behind you every single snap. I understand Quarterbacks can be a little bit different just in terms of confidence and spending less energy on worrying about starting or not. Doesn’t make a difference to me. Competition BREEDS Excellence, and just what every other successful program does in the SEC. It’s competition over feelings or who you see potential in. Only reality matters here.

Everything in context... including Bailey's "stats" and effectiveness last fall. You aren't wrong completely. But how they've competed head to head matters much more.

I actually hope and maybe even believe you are right. I think he's a good QB and a good option. In context, a lot of his stats last fall were in junk time. He played live minutes against UF and did well... but after getting yanked (did I mention Pruitt was stupid on QB's?)... Shrout did better. I don't want to poopoo what he did. He did well for what he knew and the opportunity he had. But the only game UT won or was truly competitive where he played a big role was Vandy. That's fine for a Fr. Maybe even really "good" for a Fr. But it doesn't prove he should win this competition.

WHOEVER wins this thing MUST be MUCH more effective than they've ever been before. That's Bailey, Milton, or Hooker.

Two I think but not quibbling over it. He has incredible physical talent. If he wins the job and Heupel is able to harness that talent then UT is in for something truly special. But if he can't get it right between the ears... we will all be glad that UT has options as good as Bailey and Hooker.

Don't really think so. If he fails then I don't think CJH will hesitate to replace him. If he doesn't fail then Bailey may well transfer. UT will likely sign Jackson and probably take someone in the portal if HB leaves.

I truly don't. I want to see a decisive coach make a decision and place confidence in one guy as #1 then give him his shot to prove he deserves it. I want #2 to get as many reps as possible knowing that #1 may fail or get injured. Not being "ugly" but I hope we don't see #3 vs BGSU. The top two need live reps going into Pitt, UF, and Mizzou.
I can certainly see all of your points. The bottom line is we are gonna roll with who we roll with. That is ultimately CJH's decision. #1 should get reps, #2 should get reps. Do we have a true #3 ? Based on some info that has came out recently I am not sure. I guess we will find out. I feel like BG will get out of hand. So I do believe we see a third QB, now whether they do anything but hand the ball off we will see. You make good arguments that have valid points. Even if Bailey started I agree with you to give the next guy a shot if he wasn't ready or couldn't handle it. Same for Hooker.

Reactions: sjt18
I just want to win. Period. I think we can win with any of these guys and in reality I think it matters more who the coaches and team want. Who does the team play at the highest level with ? The leader, and whichever one trots out as #1 just win baby.

Reactions: 24/7vol and sjt18
I can certainly see all of your points. The bottom line is we are gonna roll with who we roll with. That is ultimately CJH's decision. #1 should get reps, #2 should get reps. Do we have a true #3 ? Based on some info that has came out recently I am not sure. I guess we will find out. I feel like BG will get out of hand. So I do believe we see a third QB, now whether they do anything but hand the ball off we will see. You make good arguments that have valid points. Even if Bailey started I agree with you to give the next guy a shot if he wasn't ready or couldn't handle it. Same for Hooker.
I also agree that if Milton puts it all together he has everything you want. I just want to see it bro

I just hope they don’t put out something stupid like
Qb1 A:
Qb1 B:
Etc
I hope the staff will show some decision-making prowess and name a starter soon. It’s a long season and I don’t think the QB situation is going to be solved until after the UF game anyways. Someone might take the reins before that but I want to see how they do on the road. Plus, injuries happen all the time and there’s a good chance we will need all of these QBs at some point this season.

Did not realize there were this many HB fan boys. Also, sad the amount of people on this thread hope we do bad before we play a game because they want to say “I told you so” ... weirdos.

It’s very sad that some want us to be bad to get that I told you so moment. I really don’t know how someone who believes that way can call themselves a fan. I understand being skeptical about Heupel. But to want us to be a bad team just to reiterate a ridiculous point?

Such a dry and lazy take. If they need to hide the gameplay from BOWLING GREEN, we are in trouble. Give me a break.

Are you STILL crying about something you have no control over? You need to learn how to evade your myopic perspective on life. Your chronic complaining makes you look silly...

Last edited:
Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back