Why do y'all say GT sucks?

I don't think GT sucks as a football team; in fact, I think they have a pretty good football team. However, with their history of injuring defensive players they play against, they suck because they they cut block so much. Georgia also have a couple of players who seem to injure defensive players. That all sucks. When Franklin was at Vandy, their players did the same thing.

Also, read the paragraph posted below of what the ACC coaches said about GT's blocking schemes.
The thing is we don't have a history of injuring players. Are there a few? Sure. But a history of it? No. And they weren't from CUT blocks.

I think if healthy and well prepared, we win by at least 14. Didn't even play our best game against VT last season, and still beat them into submission. I respect GT though, and if we come out sluggish, this is a game that could get out of hand quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think GT sucks at all.

I actually dread this game more than half the others.

Basically a home opener for GT.

Half the people I work with are Tech grads. Haha. So I've already had to discuss this game like 333 times at work already.

But luckily GT fans are pretty decent people. If they were UGA grads...well, they probably wouldn't have a job....but I would take the rest of that week off of work haha.

1.) Because GT is a middling program that plays in a high school stadium and is never nationally relevant.

2.) Top to bottom they usually field a team of mediocre talent that is somewhat masked by the fact that they run a gimmicky offense that's very hard to scheme for and as a result, they sneak up on teams that should never lose to them. However I also notice that when good teams get a fair amount of time to scheme for it, they take you apart.

3.) Your defenses are typically garbage. Offenses go through them like an Olympic bobsled team.

I guess that's OK if your goal is upsetting a higher ranked team once in a while. However until I start seeing GT playing in the ACC Championship game or in the playoffs, they will always be an "also-ran" program.
We've been more nationally relevant at the end of a season more recently than UT lol. (2014)

History has no barring on if they are a good team now or not lol. I could use the same thing for the past 10 years and we would win that battle of more recent history.

Then it is an empty conversation since every game ever played is current history, and this year's team is yet to prove what it will be.

The fact of the matter is that history is literally all we have to go on in such conversations. The only question is at which point in history one will begin professing judgments about any given football team. Lat year? The last 5? 15? 30? 50?

It's been my experience that fans of teams with only recent success want to play the "history don't count" card when they are, in fact, relying on history for their argument.

Are you wanting to argue whether the current GT team sucks? That's OK. I'll see you in several months and we can discuss.

Are you wanting answers to why fans of other teams hold no respect for your program--as your OP indicated? You have it in this thread.

Reactions: 1 person
I hate this match up for Tennessee. Ga Tech runs the triple option just like Navy only with better athletes. It's a bad match up for the Vols because:
--Vols have too many turnovers. Possessions will be at a premium in this one
--Shoop's defense has shown the propensity for poor reads and lining up out of position
--Blocking schemes vs oft injured defensive linemen
--Vols are not exactly the best tackling team in the SEC
--In Atlanta
--Tech is better than most Vols fans are expecting

I expect the Vols to win but I also expect a close, frustrating, long game where Tech has about a 15 minute edge in time of possession.

It's a bad matchup for Tennessee's defense. Tech's defense is generally not very good and we should be able to score points even while breaking in a new quarterback(s).

The thing is we don't have a history of injuring players. Are there a few? Sure. But a history of it? No. And they weren't from CUT blocks.

Then you should ask your coach to actively try to change that perception instead of relying on it as mental warfare.

You don't suck currently, but even in recent history Tennessee is a much better football program and the SEC has never been too afraid of a GT game.

Since 1970, records vs Georgia Tech:

* Vols are 11-3-1 against Georgia Tech
* Auburn is 15-5
* Georgia is 34-14
* South Carolina is 7-6
* Alabama is 4-2
* LSU is 2-0
* Ole Miss is 3-0
* Florida is 2-1-1 (haven't played since 1981)

To sum up, the upper echelon of the SEC is 78-31-2 against GT since 1970.

Since GT has won less than 30% of these games, and that is with us generously giving you South Carolina in the upper echelon stats, then we can say with some confidence that you have sucked at football in comparison to the teams we consider our main rivals.

Granted you guys are also 5-0 against Kentucky and Vandy in that span, but Tennessee has posted 84 wins against those teams over the same period and often by lopsided margins.
In not talking about history, I'm talking about now.

It's a bad matchup for Tennessee's defense. Tech's defense is generally not very good and we should be able to score points even while breaking in a new quarterback(s).

As long as you don't turn the ball over. Ga Tech's offense eats up a lot of clock and you could very well have fewer than 10 full possessions in a game

I don't get it, we get this often from other teams as well. Is it because of the offensive system and because people don't like the cut blocks? up until 2015 we were tied for the most active consecutive bowl appearances. We won the orange bowl in 2014 with 11 wins. We have been below .500 only once in recent years. We had 9 wins last year with 3 coming against the sec east. We hold a 5-5 record against Clemson and a 5-5 record against FSU since Paul Johnson has been our coach. So why do people say we suck when these facts are more than most other teams can say that we play. Imo it's a misconception based on the fact that we run the offensive system we run, so a lot are just uninformed about us. If there is actually reason why people say this besides, because we cut block and run the system we run (which are not reasons a team would suck) please tell me. Not trying to start anything, this is a serious question.

Not exactly the serious answer to the serious question you were looking for, but....

YOU WEAR RUSSELL ATHLETIC UNIFORMS.

WHO THE HELL WEARS RUSSELL ATHLETIC UNIFORMS?

I remember wearing Russell Athletic uniforms playing tee ball 30+ years ago.

Has to do wonders for recruiting.

"Hey did you get that sweet new Georgia Tech jersey down at Lenox Square? "

"Nah man, it was in the clearance bin at the Roses off of Peachtree boulevard."

Reactions: 2 people
Not exactly the serious answer to the serious question you were looking for, but....

YOU WEAR RUSSELL ATHLETIC UNIFORMS.

WHO THE HELL WEARS RUSSELL ATHLETIC UNIFORMS?

I remember wearing Russell Athletic uniforms playing tee ball 30+ years ago.

Has to do wonders for recruiting.

"Hey did you get that sweet new Georgia Tech jersey down at Lenox Square? "

"Nah man, it was in the clearance bin at the Roses off of Peachtree boulevard."
Lol this was good. We are finally done with our contract with them after this year. It's about time.

I don't get it, we get this often from other teams as well. Is it because of the offensive system and because people don't like the cut blocks? up until 2015 we were tied for the most active consecutive bowl appearances. We won the orange bowl in 2014 with 11 wins. We have been below .500 only once in recent years. We had 9 wins last year with 3 coming against the sec east. We hold a 5-5 record against Clemson and a 5-5 record against FSU since Paul Johnson has been our coach. So why do people say we suck when these facts are more than most other teams can say that we play. Imo it's a misconception based on the fact that we run the offensive system we run, so a lot are just uninformed about us. If there is actually reason why people say this besides, because we cut block and run the system we run (which are not reasons a team would suck) please tell me. Not trying to start anything, this is a serious question.

Simply because you ain't Tennessee! If the refs call a close game tech will have more penalty yards than rushing yards.

I'm a massive French coin? Lol

You're a massive puff pastry cookie hybrid.
Napoleon-Cake-2-from-willcookforsmiles.com-cake.jpg

Reactions: 9 people
GT is a decent program especially considering they're little brother to UGA .
I ALWAYS want Tech to beat Ga & usually hope GT wins against whoever they're playing. I miss our rivalry with them. Will be against them come September 4th though!!
GO VOLS! BEAT TECH!!

In not talking about history, I'm talking about now.

Doesn't your reluctance to talk about anything but recent GT success and the prospects of this year's very experienced roster sort of answer the original question?

If you have no respect for the accomplishments in the recent history of your program, why should we?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back