Why does it feel like everyone has written us off?

I prefer the underdog role. No one knows what the rest of this season will bring. We can end up 11-1, we could lose 4 of the next 5 games, or anything between. KY, Mizzou, and obviously bama and uga are all good teams, but also beatable.
I would rather sneak up on teams.
Let them expect to win.

Reactions: deezvols
Don't know what everyone else around here has been watching because what I've seen has been pretty awful. The Florida loss wasn't just unfortunate or "bad;" it was disastrous because it wasn't as close as the score implied. Up to that point, we hadn't played anybody, and we went into the Swamp and showed the nation that even with a hot new coach and supposedly Heisman-worthy QB who could throw the ball 90 yards, we haven't emerged from our 90s futility against UF. We got exposed in that game as it became clear that our QB is very, very limited. All of the red flags that Michigan fans warned us about, and all of the reasons JM has lost the starting job over and over again proved to be still here. That game wasn't even close. The Gators DESTROYED us and left absolutely no doubt that they still own us. And how good are the Gators? Lost to Utah, got flattened by Kentucky, and struggled more against Charlotte than they did against the Vols. So they're not all that, really. The defense and rushing attack have saved us, but without the balance a passing game would bring, those two things won't be enough against Bama and Georgia and probably Kentucky. Can we win those games? Of course...just like Appalachian State COULD win against Michigan on any given day. But experts know that it would be foolish to bet on it. And Tennessee has a history of getting people's hopes up then stumbling unexpectedly late in the season (see South Carolina and LSU). That's why nobody is talking about us making a deep run. Tennessee is the Penn State of the SEC: always a bit behind the two best teams.

Last edited:
Florida loss still stings, but here we are again in October with a chance at the SEC East. Long shot but I agree we have a legit shot. Bama is tough as is Georgia but now they don’t have bowers and we are really tough at home. As a poster already said, we are a consistent pass game away from being a legit threat. Our defense and special teams are playing very well.

Inexcusable Florida loss and the fact that our schedule is brutal from here on out. Our toughest teams are still ahead of us.

Inexcusable how? Florida is better than expected at 5-2, they’re actually very good when playing at home. There’s no shame losing in Gainesville.

Reactions: Raebo
Seriously, in every news source I see, nobody is talking about the Vols even having a shot at the SEC of the CFP. I recognize that the one loss to Florida hurts us, but there are teams with bad losses still being talked about. Just feels like everyone has written us off.

I still believe we have a solid chance to run the table, win the east and who knows what else?

Georgia is very beatable, as is Bama. Our defense has allowed the fewest touchdowns in the SEC and have lived in the backfield of the opposing teams.

We just need Joe and the receivers to start clicking. If that happens, we absolutely can win out.

Why are we not getting talked about?
3 reasons...road game, Joe Milton and our secondary.

The UF loss was pathetically inept therefore until this Tennessee team proves it can win a meaningful game on the road in the SEC, it’s warranted.

Reactions: volbound1700
Inexcusable how? Florida is better than expected at 5-2, they’re actually very good when playing at home. There’s no shame losing in Gainesville.
Well, yeah. UT choked. Banks choked even more. They blew a great opportunity because of the way Banks schemed UF's O in the first half.

Reactions: TN1111
Just sit back and Enjoy the ride.
Yep. For both fans and the team, there's zero pressure in this one. Haven't won there since the Ice Man did it so no one expects anything different especially with Milton and the WR's playing as they are. No one is calling for us to win the SEC or make the playoffs. Way under everyone's radar right now. Just relax, play in a great environment and let it all fly. Nothing to lose.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Because we haven’t earned our way into the discussion yet. We haven’t really played a good team yet, and still have one loss.

3 reasons...road game, Joe Milton and our secondary.
Why? The secondary is greatly improved and played a great game vs A&M who has more WR talent than Bama and arguably a better QB. Yeah, the front got good pressure much of the day but the secondary also held up several times when there wasn't much pressure. Bama is reputed to have a great secondary. UT held A&M to less passing yds... a significantly lower completion %... 6.6 ypc vs 9.6... did not allow a TD while Bama allowed 1 and had 2 INTs vs Bama's 1.

Bama may figure some stuff out and scheme UT up. My greatest fear is that the officials will let Bama's OL get away with holding and change the game completely. But I think it is time to stop bad mouthing the secondary.

Nice stat: UT is 2nd in the SEC in opponent QBR.

Because we haven’t earned our way into the discussion yet. We haven’t really played a good team yet, and still have one loss.
I'd be OK with that except that Bama's image was raised when they beat A&M. A week later UT beats them in a more decisive fashion... and it doesn't matter.

Reactions: mpfvol and Noni
Seriously, in every news source I see, nobody is talking about the Vols even having a shot at the SEC of the CFP. I recognize that the one loss to Florida hurts us, but there are teams with bad losses still being talked about. Just feels like everyone has written us off.

I still believe we have a solid chance to run the table, win the east and who knows what else?

Georgia is very beatable, as is Bama. Our defense has allowed the fewest touchdowns in the SEC and have lived in the backfield of the opposing teams.

We just need Joe and the receivers to start clicking. If that happens, we absolutely can win out.

I listen to a lot of sports radio from diff sources , last night they were going through teams that had a shot at the playoff still they said 22 mathematically and about 15 within reason they listed us but cited Milton as the reason we won’t . Most think Milton is the reason we can’t get there from what I’ve seen and that’s including TN biased people . So yell at me curse at me I don’t care just reporting what I’ve heard

Why? The secondary is greatly improved and played a great game vs A&M who has more WR talent than Bama and arguably a better QB. Yeah, the front got good pressure much of the day but the secondary also held up several times when there wasn't much pressure. Bama is reputed to have a great secondary. UT held A&M to less passing yds... a significantly lower completion %... 6.6 ypc vs 9.6... did not allow a TD while Bama allowed 1 and had 2 INTs vs Bama's 1.

Bama may figure some stuff out and scheme UT up. My greatest fear is that the officials will let Bama's OL get away with holding and change the game completely. But I think it is time to stop bad mouthing the secondary.

Nice stat: UT is 2nd in the SEC in opponent QBR.
I'm just not sold on this secondary's defending or tackling. As you pointed out, a great pass rush makes any secondary look good, and I give more credit to that than the abilities of our secondary. Folks can debate which qb is better, but against our defense, I'll say that Milroe is far more challenging than that game kid from aTm. He's strong, fast and mobile. That will give any defense problems, but against our secondary...I'm not getting good feelings. If I'm the bama OC, I'm finding #12 early and often.

Doering said last week the defense is foreal which it most definitely is. I don't believe alot of people realize how good the defense actually is. They're stuck on the offense and last season's production on O. I've seen several posters mention this team will never be out of a game with this D and I agree with them 10000% if the D starts scoring along with special teams Tennesse may not lose another game. The offense just needs to NOT turn the ball over. GBO🍊🍊🍊

Reactions: JRich
I haven’t, but I also think it is fair. This offense is nothing even close to what we had last year. I don’t think we’ve had a good, clean, complete game all year. I also think it’s a pipe dream to still be waiting on the QB and WRs to finally click. It certainly looks like that won’t be happening at all. I firmly believe this team is capable of beating every team in the conference. I also believe we are capable of losing to every team.

1) The schedule.

2) Joe Milton

3) Garbage WR performance

Maybe you haven’t been watching.
We’re all fans, so I don’t think any of us have written this team off, but the realist in me does see what the media sees.

Joe Milton and our WR corps

They have and it is fair after the Florida game. That is still lingering over this team. If we come out and start playing better and erase the issues from that game, sure we will be back in the picture. We can do this by winning tomorrow.

The QB play, WR play, Offensive line, etc. has not been great. We also haven't won a true road game yet.

I'd be OK with that except that Bama's image was raised when they beat A&M. A week later UT beats them in a more decisive fashion... and it doesn't matter.

Bama didn’t lose to a crappy Florida team.

But it doesn’t matter. The back half of our schedule presents a lot of opportunity. I just don’t think we are good enough this season to make any real hay.

Bama didn’t lose to a crappy Florida team.

But it doesn’t matter. The back half of our schedule presents a lot of opportunity. I just don’t think we are good enough this season to make any real hay.
Who has Bama beaten that was good? A&M is the best team either has beaten. Texas is better than anyone UT has played but they beat Bama in pretty convincing fashion. Texas had almost 100 more yds of total O playing at Bama.

VN Store

Back