Why doesn't TBA/FCC ever host the NCAA Tournament?

Selection officials look at the home crowds sitting on their hands and think TBA has the acoustics of a defunct airplane hangar.

It was Ohio State with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd. I was at that game too. Got a ticket from a scalper for $10. It was an awesome game minus the million Buckeye fans.
Purdue was the 4th team with big Glenn Robinson.

Purdue was the 4th team with big Glenn Robinson.
No, that was Purdue against Kansas and Big Dog scored 44 on a Greg Ostertag led Kansas team. Duke beat Kevin O'Neill's Marquette team. Then Duke beat Purdue to go to the Final Four. I went to all 3 games.

St. John's and Ron Artest were here another year and beat Ohio St. Then, Maryland and Stevie Francis played in the other game, but I can't remember against who. I think those were 2nd round games. I went to those 2 games, also.

Btw, Big Dog was one of my favorite all-time players, part of where The Dog nickname came from

I was at the 1990 tournament and saw GT (Lethal Weapon 3) play LSU with Shaq, Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts. That was a GREAT game.....GT ultimately won but it was a thriller. Star power EVERYWHERE on that floor.

Random question based on this year's location......would we rather go to Memphis or Charlotte?
Watched that game on TV...With the talent LSU had, only Dale Brown could freak it up... :p

No, that was Purdue against Kansas and Big Dog scored 44 on a Greg Ostertag led Kansas team. Duke beat Kevin O'Neill's Marquette team. Then Duke beat Purdue to go to the Final Four. I went to all 3 games.

St. John's and Ron Artest were here another year and beat Ohio St. Then, Maryland and Stevie Francis played in the other game, but I can't remember against who. I think those were 2nd round games. I went to those 2 games, also.

Btw, Big Dog was one of my favorite all-time players, part of where The Dog nickname came from
Good call Dog. It was Maryland. It was Auburn wasn't it?

Good call Dog. It was Maryland. It was Auburn wasn't it?
Correct. 1994 was Duke vs Marquette and Purdue vs Kansas, then Duke beat Purdue in the regional final. 1999 was St. John’s vs Maryland and Ohio State vs Auburn, and the Red Storm & Buckeyes met in the regional final. Charles Barkley was on hand in ‘99 and my sister went up to him in the stands and got his autograph.

GT had Dennis Scott, Kenny Anderson and Brian Oliver.....they weren't exactly lacking in talent.....actually made the Final 4 and had UNLV down at half
I went to that game, too. Michigan St. and Steve Smith beat UC-Santa Barbara (I think) in the first game. I've been to 7 NCAA Tourney games at TBA and the Ga. Tech/LSU game was by far the best game. Big Dog and his 44 points against Kansas was 2nd, but I'm a little biased.

Btw, 2 of our future head coaches were at that Purdue/Kansas/Duke/Marquette regional, KO and Cuonzo Martin played for that Purdue team

Was a student at that time. Me and a friend both bought tickets at Stockley the day they went on sale. Sold them for a good profit.

I bought 8 tickets the day they went on sale. They were in Section C (Midcourt) Row 3. The other 2 teams in the tournament were Indiana and Arkansas. What a frenzy for tickets. The next month I got married. I upgraded my honeymoon as a result of this!

I remember Stokley hosting the mid-east semifinals and finals in 1983. Louisville and Kentucky played in the finals. First time they had met in decades. Had tickets behind the west baseline

I remember that well. I wanted to go but for some reason wasn't able to - being a poor college student it was probably ticket prices.

A few of us have posed that same question. I don't know the process behind that. Does each school submit like their top 3 choices? UT may have submitted Memphis as option 1 in that scenario. Or does the NCAA just go through the S-Curve and pick the next team's 1st round site strictly by mileage from campus? If so, obviously Charlotte would be the pick.

Given the current lawsuit, I could see the NCAA shipping us off to Spokane just to spite us.
As I recall, only the four #1 seeds get to select their 1st/2nd round site. After that, the remaining #2-#4 seeds are slotted according to the S-curve based on distance from campus, with certain caveats (such as the top four teams selected from the same conference must be placed in different regions). That being said, Charlotte is 232 miles from Knoxville, while Memphis is 392. Unless we get a #1 seed and choose to play in Memphis, we will be in Charlotte.

TBA had elite 8 games in late 90s early 2000s

I went to St. John’s vs Oklahoma I think it was. Ron Artest was playing
St John’s played Ohio State for the right to go to
the Final 4. Before that they played Steve Francis and Maryland.

I was in school then and to work at the tournament as a volunteer. It just so happened that tournament was during my one semester claiming to be a Sports Management major. It was freaking awesome. I checked Auburn in when they came the first day. They were the 1 seed. That was the year Gonzaga made their first run. St John’s coach was Mike Jarvis. He and I sat together for about 15 minutes watching UConn and Gonzaga play and talking basketball. That was so fun.

I was at the 1990 tournament and saw GT (Lethal Weapon 3) play LSU with Shaq, Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts. That was a GREAT game.....GT ultimately won but it was a thriller. Star power EVERYWHERE on that floor.

Random question based on this year's location......would we rather go to Memphis or Charlotte?
I was there as well.

VN Store

Back