Why is no one discussing

OU's run game? Or lack of it against Akron. 100 yards total rushing and 3ypc.
They were lackluster against Akron and they have a handful of games started amongst their oline. This is not dismissing they have 2 excellent backs. The fact they do and still got them involved so little adds to the question.

Personally, I have a hard time believing it is that bad... like I have a hard time believing UT's secondary is that bad.

PS- they weren't lackluster IMO. Their OL didn't block well vs Akron. Without a mobile QB, they would have had a very difficult time moving the ball.

You lost all credibility at "Akrons D is awful" why don't you do some research on the defensive starters for akron vs BG?

They are "good". They aren't as talented as UT or OU... but they're good. The problem for you is that your OL couldn't block them.

FTR, it is their O that's virtually non-existent. They're horrible and have been for a while now.

They are "good". They aren't as talented as UT or OU... but they're good. The problem for you is that your OL couldn't block them.

FTR, it is their O that's virtually non-existent. They're horrible and have been for a while now.

He said their defense is "awful" when in reality their Dline would start for a lot of power 5 defenses. Their secondary is pretty good as well.

Reactions: 1 person
Just like everyone was quick to blame our D's performance by saying we played very "vanilla"...I would probably say the same about OU vs. Akron.

You can pretty much throw those 1st games out the window because neither team had to turn to page 2 in the playbooks.

true, but there is no fancy way of calling plays for running the ball, you open holes and run through them

He said their defense is "awful" when in reality their Dline would start for a lot of power 5 defenses. Their secondary is pretty good as well.

When someone is willing to agree with you on an opponent's board... let them.

Sooner fans are talking about it for sure. We spent the first quarter and a half running straight into a stacked box. I'm not sure why. Owen field was silent because all of this hype over the air raid, and then run, run, run. But after we started throwing the ball all over the place, the defense was forced to back off, which created some nice running lanes. Our line is not the force that we are accustomed to, so there will be some growing pains. I think we'll have some success on the ground Saturday, but nothing like we did last year. This team isn't built for that. We did bring in the big boys to block on a 4th and 1 play and picked up 12 yards, so that was promising at least. But the o-line is our biggest weakness at this point.

it took them almost the entire first quarter to score and that was a field goal!!!!

Isnt it weird that in a brand new system with a new qb, new rb, new wr, new linemen, new oc, new wr coach, new rb coach kinda struggled to score a bunch of points in the first quarter they ever played together? Like, really weird. It almost makes you think they didnt even score when they finally got into a flow.

Sooner fans are talking about it for sure. We spent the first quarter and a half running straight into a stacked box. I'm not sure why. Owen field was silent because all of this hype over the air raid, and then run, run, run. But after we started throwing the ball all over the place, the defense was forced to back off, which created some nice running lanes. Our line is not the force that we are accustomed to, so there will be some growing pains. I think we'll have some success on the ground Saturday, but nothing like we did last year. This team isn't built for that. We did bring in the big boys to block on a 4th and 1 play and picked up 12 yards, so that was promising at least. But the o-line is our biggest weakness at this point.

True and it should be noted that they did get yards on the ground a few times when it was needed most. Certainly a concern, but why open the playbook up on running when youre passing at will? I guarantee OU would happily accept a 100 yard rushing effort if it meant the passing game was on fire and they scored more points than the other team. It wont matter how well they stop the run if they are going to give up 400 in the air. So if OU's run game is a concern because of that one performance, then UT's secondary is a serious concern because of their one performance- If that's the case, I like OU's chances with all those talented receivers and running backs. Who knows how their front 7 will get when they start giving up 20 and 30 yard passes all night.

Last edited:
OK fans have confidence little to no running game will work?

It can work, it might not, it may end up being their bread & butter. But if they cant run but tennessee is giving up 400 through the air, who do you think has the advantage?

Do Sooners feel you will run it better against UT than Akron? If so is it based on one more game, talent, change in gameplan? If not does confidence come from passing attack alone?

It can work, it might not, it may end up being their bread & butter. But if they cant run but tennessee is giving up 400 through the air, who do you think has the advantage?

By your logic when UT puts up 400 yards rushing because all things are equal I'd say we do because we'll be in control of the clock.

I don't think UT is Akron or that OK is BGSU but I prefer a team that can run the ball. We'll see who can actually replicate their strength.

i'll take any team one dimensional. no matter how good they are at that one dimension.

i can't believe that OU will come in here and basically abandon the running game.

as i said in another thread, that doesnt' mean i expect them to come out in an i formation and try to pound it 30 times.......but there's no way they aren't got to try have something resembling a running game. balance will do nothing but make their air raid offense better.

By your logic when UT puts up 400 yards rushing because all things are equal I'd say we do because we'll be in control of the clock.

I don't think UT is Akron or that OK is BGSU but I prefer a team that can run the ball. We'll see who can actually replicate their strength.

I think we all know OU can run the ball, and that one game isnt going to be the end all of that. Does having a new system, new position coaches, new players at every position have an effect on the first game theyve ever played together? Perhaps.

By my logic? There was no logic, it was question: if tenn is giving up 400 through the air, who has the advantage? It's a pretty reasonable thought- Mayfield through for 388 in three quarters- Tenn gave up over 400 to BG. I'm pretty sure that's more likely to happen than tenn putting 400 on the ground against a pretty stout OU run D. Be fun to watch 'em try! I mean , why not?

True and it should be noted that they did get yards on the ground a few times when it was needed most. Certainly a concern, but why open the playbook up on running when youre passing at will? I guarantee OU would happily accept a 100 yard rushing effort if it meant the passing game was on fire and they scored more points than the other team. It wont matter how well they stop the run if they are going to give up 400 in the air. So if OU's run game is a concern because of that one performance, then UT's secondary is a serious concern because of their one performance- If that's the case, I like OU's chances with all those talented receivers and running backs. Who knows how their front 7 will get when they start giving up 20 and 30 yard passes all night.

The reason I like our chances in this game is because our offensive strength will be in the passing game, which appears to be their D's weakness. UT's offensive strength is in the running game, which is also our D's strength. Just need to make sure we limit big plays on the ground for Dobbs, Hurd, and Kamara. I think our backs will be fine, but it all starts with how effective the passing game is. For all the talent on both sides, these two teams couldn't be more different.

Maybe they were just breaking in the new QBs passing since it was going to be an easy win vs a weak cupcake team - I wouldnt put anything past Stoops

OU's run game? Or lack of it against Akron. 100 yards total rushing and 3ypc.
They were lackluster against Akron and they have a handful of games started amongst their oline. This is not dismissing they have 2 excellent backs. The fact they do and still got them involved so little adds to the question.

OU is honestly not that good. You don't want to poor mouth your opponent before the game haha, but honestly if you watched the Akron game, you are exactly right- lackluster is a great way to describe it.

Do Sooners feel you will run it better against UT than Akron? If so is it based on one more game, talent, change in gameplan? If not does confidence come from passing attack alone?

I think we will pass to open up the run, which is exactly the opposite of what UT will most likely do, based off every game since Dobbs became the starter. We should see some growth in our o-line from week 1. BGSU had a few big gainers up the middle and without your starting DT in the game, the Sooners would be foolish not to test it. I can't see us going 1 dimensional on purpose. The running game will have to ground out some yards to keep the defense honest, but I have faith in the passing game if we end up in a shootout. We had a couple of road games at WV when they were super talented and won throwing almost exclusively. It can be done.

OK fans have confidence little to no running game will work?

they definitely don't believe they will HAVE to run the ball.

whereas, we believe we MUST run the ball.

i would expect us to lay off the tempo a little bit this weekend, to try and keep them off the field.

the match up that will decide this game though is when our defense is on the field. period. i think our offense will be capable of putting up some points. i'm not sure how often we'll get OU to go 3 and out.

TOP for us will be a stat to keep an eye on. i'm expecting a game plan that helps protect the defense.

OU is honestly not that good. You don't want to poor mouth your opponent before the game haha, but honestly if you watched the Akron game, you are exactly right- lackluster is a great way to describe it.

Yeah, 5 straight TD drives in less than 1 and 1/2 quarters is pretty pathetic.:bad:

Main deference in this year and last for ou running backs is they changed offensive scheme

VN Store

Back