Why not Mike Leach?

Not happening......its more likely we land Chris Petersen or Dan Mullen than Leach....... If the rumors are to be believed that the UTAD is moving this week it automatically eliminates Leach. Leach is in contention for the North division title. If he wins tonight he will play for the conference championship. It was rumored that Curry flew to Washington to meet with someone regarding the coaching vacancy at UT. I don't believe Curry met with Leach. I believe he met with Peterson.

Reactions: 1 person
I see a lot of "Leach wouldn't fit personality-wise".

Do y'all think Peterson would?

Here's a quote from an article on Oregonlive.com:

"Washington coach Chris Petersen sometimes comes across as charisma-challenged to those watching on television, perhaps because has a calm sideline demeanor."

I heard he's Catholic - in a conversation that started with someone saying he's a Scientologist. Regardless of religion, he's a total CA/PAC-12 guy...that doesn't fit East Tennessee at all...and is about as likely to take our job as Gruden is.

So he's quiet and may be a Catholic so he's not a fit here?

I'm sorry, he's not good enough to win a sec championship. If you want him to coach at Tennessee than you are in the minority.

Yes, yes. everyone wants Peterson or Gruden. But we have to make alternate plans in (the very large almost certain) case those two don't want to come here.

You claim Leach can't coach in the SEC, but all evidence points to him taking lesser talent and beating better schools. Why can't he coach in the SEC? You say it like it's a fact, so I assume you have some kind of evidence. Lay it out there so the rest of us can catch up.

Yes, yes. everyone wants Peterson or Gruden. But we have to make alternate plans in (the very large almost certain) case those two don't want to come here.

You claim Leach can't coach in the SEC, but all evidence points to him taking lesser talent and beating better schools. Why can't he coach in the SEC? You say it like it's a fact, so I assume you have some kind of evidence. Lay it out there so the rest of us can catch up.

What evidence do you have that he can? His best season at tech he got embarrassed by Oklahoma in a game that could have legitimized that program. If you think he'll do more than Butch did more power to you. I dont see him being the kind of coach that you do obviously. Agree to disagree. I think he's a good coach but not good enough. I'm sorry if my opinion on his coaching abilities upset you lol.

Good coach = Leach
Great coach = Petersen & others

Petersen took a lesser school with lesser talent and had 1 season with less than 10 wins

Leach took lesser schools with lesser talent and has had 1 season ever over 9 wins.

Ya think? How many P5 head coaches have the nerve to like a tweet about them coaching at a school that just fired their coach?

picture.php

picture.php

Would be a disastrous hire. That air raid garbage won’t work in the SEC

Don’t like his style of football or record. Butch Jones with a big mouth.

Not really. I personally think Leach is an idiot. He is a bipolar Butch Jones.

Right. And they won on the level Kentucky is accustomed to winning (2-7 wins)... can’t win big in this league without playing defense

Really?

WSU is #7 nationally in time of possession this year. Of the current top 4 in the playoff poll, GA is 10th, AL is 27th, ND is 79th, and Clemson is 63rd.

In 12 seasons as a HC, his teams average PPG rank is #30...half were top 20 and 3 were top 5 (only 4 out of top 30 - first 4 years at WSU). During those same years, we averaged #60...with only 3 of those being top 30, zero top 20.

In Leach's two seasons at Kentucky, the Wildcats set six NCAA records, 41 SEC records and 116 Kentucky records. Did KY leave the SEC for 2 years when Leach was there or were those just coincidental "down years" for SEC defenses?

Look at WSU's D this year (from NCAA.com):

#2 3rd Down % D
#8 (tie) in 1st Down D
#12 in Passing Yards Allowed
#26 Rushing D
#5 Team Passing Efficiency D
#10 in Sacks
#4 (tie) in TFL
#12 Total D
#4 in Takeaways

He's a hell of a coach and with a good DC could be awesome on the hill. Would The Chief come home? Keep Shoop? He had a great rep before working with Butch. Hell, the guy he's got @ WSU looks like the real deal.

It'd be great if some of you actually did some research before writing him off as flake with a gimmicky offense.

Last edited:
I’d be stoked if he was coach! Could you imagine post game interview inebriated? Oh and he might score some TD’s and win games

Hey i'm all in for Leach..Hell I wanted him before Kiffin was hired and some on here made fun of those of us who wanted him but he would be a blast to have as coach here...BRING THE MADMAN TO TENNESSEE!!!

Hey i'm all in for Leach..Hell I wanted him before Kiffin was hired and some on here made fun of those of us who wanted him but he would be a blast to have as coach here...BRING THE MADMAN TO TENNESSEE!!!

“Ya Gotta swing your sword with passion “

Reactions: 2 people
Really?

WSU is #7 nationally in time of possession this year. Of the current top 4 in the playoff poll, GA is 10th, AL is 27th, ND is 79th, and Clemson is 63rd.

In 12 seasons as a HC, his teams average PPG rank is #30...half were top 20 and 3 were top 5 (only 4 out of top 30 - first 4 years at WSU). During those same years, we averaged #60...with only 3 of those being top 30, zero top 20.

In Leach's two seasons at Kentucky, the Wildcats set six NCAA records, 41 SEC records and 116 Kentucky records. Did KY leave the SEC for 2 years when Leach was there or were those just coincidental "down years" for SEC defenses?

Look at WSU's D this year (from NCAA.com):

#2 3rd Down % D
#8 (tie) in 1st Down D
#12 in Passing Yards Allowed
#26 Rushing D
#5 Team Passing Efficiency D
#10 in Sacks
#4 (tie) in TFL
#12 Total D
#4 in Takeaways

He's a hell of a coach and with a good DC (The Chief?) could be awesome on the hill. It'd be great if some of you actually did some research before writing him off as flake with a gimmicky offense.

VN Negateers have ten reasons for not doing everything that we should do and no reasons against doing things that we shouldn't.

VN Store

Back