Will we ever get a Jumbotron on the North side of stadium?

Volngeorgia

I knows this is not a huge issue for most fans.
But, for some who sit in the South end it is.
I know that our financial coffers are not full.
But, if winning starts to become the norm again and the big donors loosen their money belts, could we see the idea floated about a North end screen?
Or, do we have too many more important needs?

Reactions: 1 person
I think it has something to do with being able to see Ayres Hall from the stadium. I don't think it was ever part of the "facelift" plans that are in a holding pattern, either.

Reactions: 3 people
It is possible but not likely. The north upper deck was a problem that required a waiver since the land (Shields Watkins Field) has a stipulation that "THE HILL" be visible from the stadium. Further blocking the Ayers Hall view would require more legal two-stepping. For most of the south end zone that has blocked views of the jumbotron, there are weak TVs. It is more likely that those would be upgraded I think.

It can't be money hart just signed a Nike deal that pays over 900k less a year than Adidas did.

It must be what the other posters said

It is possible but not likely. The north upper deck was a problem that required a waiver since the land (Shields Watkins Field) has a stipulation that "THE HILL" be visible from the stadium. Further blocking the Ayers Hall view would require more legal two-stepping. For most of the south end zone that has blocked views of the jumbotron, there are weak TVs. It is more likely that those would be upgraded I think.

I never heard this before about seeing The Hill.
Thanks for the info. :hi:

I agree. I would think they would start by replacing the tv screens that look like they were bought in the early 90's all around the stadium. Lots of work to be done. Still like the improvements that have been made.

Let's assume the jumbotron is between 200 and 300 feet tall. For a 105 mph wind design, the velocity pressure at that height for that structure is in the neighborhood of 34 psf. The surface area of the jumbotron is 4,500 Sq. Ft. Comes out to a net lateral force of 153 kips (153,000 lbs). Per column, that translates to an overturning moment of 19,125 kip*ft (assuming the point of loading is 250 ft above the base of the columns). To come up with a footing/caison layout big enough to resist that moment, you would certainly have to compromise the foundations of historic buildings in the area and would probably just be forced to demolish them. The point is, you can't just sneak a jumbotron in without some major ramifications to the stability of existing structures.

Reactions: 14 people
Let's assume the jumbotron is between 200 and 300 feet tall. For a 105 mph wind design, the velocity pressure at that height for that structure is in the neighborhood of 34 psf. The surface area of the jumbotron is 4,500 Sq. Ft. Comes out to a net lateral force of 153 kips (153,000 lbs). Per column, that translates to an overturning moment of 19,125 kip*ft (assuming the point of loading is 250 ft above the base of the columns). To come up with a footing/caison layout big enough to resist that moment, you would certainly have to compromise the foundations of historic buildings in the area and would probably just be forced to demolish them. The point is, you can't just sneak a jumbotron in without some major ramifications to the stability of existing structures.
You have to be an engineer, this made my brain hurt :hi:

Reactions: 14 people
I agree. I would think they would start by replacing the tv screens that look like they were bought in the early 90's all around the stadium. Lots of work to be done. Still like the improvements that have been made.

I've never understood the old TV's. It seems like they could put larger and lighter TV's in the overhangs and fix a lot of jumbotron sightline complaints.

Can someone translate this to English for me??

Reactions: 2 people
I've never understood the old TV's. It seems like they could put larger and lighter TV's in the overhangs and fix a lot of jumbotron sightline complaints.

Definitely a good point. Decent HD flat screens are a dime a dozen these days (obvious hyperbole, but still cheap).

Can someone translate this to English for me??

In short, a jumbotron is a huge sail that catches wind like crazy. It wants to blow the jumbotron over. The only way to keep it from blowing over is to have humongous foundations that can't exist because of the other buildings in proximity.

To translate and add to this, because of the way the supports were dug for the north end zone stands and upper deck, it's not possible to dig supports for a video board on that side of the stadium.

Not sure if serious. Auburn's new board (which is one of the largest in the world) is 57' tall and 190' wide. That's over 10K square feet.

Yes, they are big "sails" but your dimensions are a bit off.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure if serious. Auburn's new board (which is one of the largest in the world) is 57' tall and 190' wide. That's over 10K square feet.

Yes, they are big "sails" but your dimensions are a bit off.

I meant 200 ft in the air, or its height above grade. That is an important variable in determine velocity pressure. It goes up as the height increases. I gave the dimensions of 4,500 Sq ft. of the jumbotron.

I meant 200 ft in the air, or its height above grade. That is an important variable in determine velocity pressure. It goes up as the height increases. I gave the dimensions of 4,500 Sq ft. of the jumbotron.

Gotcha...that makes more sense. I think I recall where it is about 45-4600 SF.

Last edited:

Dr. Burdette, is that you? :eek:hmy:

VN Store

Back