Worst College Football Coaches of All Time

That was a terrible list. It describes Kiffin's tenure at Tennessee as a disappointment but 7-6 in 2009 was about what was expected. We were 5-7 the year before. We also looked impressive in wins over Georgia and South Carolina. That wasn't a disappointing season. And Butch Jones is a terrible coach but he did have two 9 win seasons and was 3-0 in bowl games... One of the worst 20 coaches of all time? No. I will concede Dooley belongs.

Curly Hallman, Brad Scott, Doug Barfield, Gerry Faust, Gary Gibbs, Ray Goff should have all been on there somewhere... and Foge Fazio inherited an incredible amount of talent at Pitt in 1982 and they went downhill immediately after hiring him and have never fully recovered from where they were under Majors and Sherrill.

šŸ˜‚ geez

Came close to adding another in Schiano.
How dare you besmirch such a fantastic coach? Didnt you know he took a crappy Rutgers and turned them into a mediocre, except for one season that the stars aligned, team that has a lifetime .500 ish record.

Dobbs made Butch look as good as possible. Do not get it twisted butch was a terrible coach
While at Tennessee he was bad. However, his overall record is 84-54, 4-2 in bowl games, and does have 4 conference championships under his belt. As much hate as some on her have for have for him, no way he is top 20 worst coaches of all time.

No way I'm clicking through that, but Kiffin should not be there. And the list sucks if Sparky Woods, Brad Scott, Curley Hallman, Gerry Dinardo, Mike Dubose, Ray Goff and Woody Widenhoffer aren't on the list.
Hey now! Sparky is family! In-law family anyway. He did beat UT once and had some good teams (at Morristown West).

Frankly, and I know I'll get flamed for this, I would not include Kiffhole or Jones in that group. With Kiffhole, it's hard to gauge on his one year here. I never liked him, and still don't, but I don't think we have enough evidence to convict him to this list. As for Butch, he inherited a terrible mess from Dools. He got 2 successive 9 win seasons before flaming out in his 5th year. In my view, he started to move the needle upwards from where he started.

Anybody who goes 0-for-the-SEC at Tennessee deserves it. You have to work hard to go winless with all of the resources.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Hey now! Sparky is family! In-law family anyway. He did beat UT once and had some good teams (at Morristown West).
I once ate dinner at the same table at a banquet with him. He's a super nice guy.... Not such a good college head coach.

How in the world is Kiffin on that list. Like him or not, the guy is an outstanding football coach, period. He did some really good things his 1 year here, he ā€œfailedā€ at USC going 28-15 in 3.5 years there, was one of the best if not the very best OC in the country while at Bama, and he had an historic first year at lowly FAU last season. I donā€™t care what you think of him personally, but he doesnā€™t belong on any list at any time for any reason with Butch Jones and Derek Dooley.
Iā€™m just not nearly as high on Kiffin as you, not as a HC. Yes there were some limits on scholarships at USC but 28-15 is mediocre there, especially following Carroll. The cupboard was not bare. He has had 2 good seasons in 8 full ones of being the HC including 1 in Oakland and is barely above .500 the rest of the time. I wouldnā€™t say he is bad and certainly not deserving of this list but I wouldnā€™t call him outstanding. Not as a HC anyway.

I once ate dinner at the same table at a banquet with him. He's a super nice guy.... Not such a good college head coach.
Cool. Yeah, he was just under .500 at SC. I believe that was back in the Steve Taneyhill days. Seems like SC had one really good year with Taneyhill at QB but I think it was the year after Sparky left. I could be wrong but that seems right.

I'm in the minority, but Kitten belongs on the list. He coached the worst underperforming team in college football history when he failed with pre season #1 USC. Yeah, he had a winning record there, but he was loaded with the best talent and the country, playing in the PAC 12, and failed miserably.

I will admit he's a good offensive coordinator, and maybe he has or will mature enough to be a head coach one day.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Butch Jones
Rich Rodriguez
Dork Dooley
Mike DuBose (who i personally loved)
Ron Zook

Theres many ex Notre Dame coaches who are among the worst head coaches ever. UND sucked balls with some of their hires. Brian Kelly has been a good hire overall but he is a douche.
So many horrenndous head coaches. Those are a few I think of though

Just thought of another one:

John L. Smith Arkansas

If it were including bike riding skills, then maybe Bobby Petrino. lol

3 really good seasons?

Iā€™d say more like 1.5 really good seasons. 2013 was bad, 2014 finished well but not much better. 2015 was by far his best year imo, despite blowing 2 games he all but had won vs Florida and Oklahoma....even played well at Bama. 2016 had 3 good games (Fla, Ga, TAM) but was wildly disappointing after blowing the East title with inexcusable losses vs SCar and Vandy. And of course, he authored the worst season in program history in 2017.

Good not great; nothing Earth shattering

I guess Jones realized heā€™d progressed beyond his capabilities in Tampa but he had a SEC East championship team coming back and just quit. The team and program needed to raise their level and instead he went to ā€œa player driven teamā€

The rest is history.

Kiffin, Dooley and Botch all sucked. Neither one should have ever been hired. I mean look at them now. None has a major D1 job.
I still can't blame Hamilton for Kiffin. A national championship coordinator with NFL head coaching experience that comes with a ready made coaching staff had to look like a no brainer.

Butch Jones
Rich Rodriguez
Dork Dooley
Mike DuBose (who i personally loved)
Ron Zook

Theres many ex Notre Dame coaches who are among the worst head coaches ever. UND sucked balls with some of their hires. Brian Kelly has been a good hire overall but he is a douche.
So many horrenndous head coaches. Those are a few I think of though
I find it hard to consider a coach who won an SEC championship, and beat a Steve Spurrier coached Florida team twice in the same season to do so, one of the worst coaches of all time.

ok, I don't know why that bolded everything. I only meant to bold Mike DuBose

I will always wonder if Dooley had not hired Sunseri, would he still be here if they won 9 or 10 gams? That was a great offensive football team.

VN Store

Back