WVU Open As 7.5 Point Favorite

We play better as underdogs

no offense, but are you sure about that? pretty sure most the games we were underdogs in last few years we have lost. when was the last time we pulled of an "upset" of a higher ranked team? its been a while since we went out and shocked some people....at least in a positive way lol

Reactions: 3 people
That's what I've been saying all along.

We only need better than last year's QB play. Only a few know what offense we will be running Sept. 1st. I bet WV run the same stuff assay year. CHP knows he can't lose that one. We could see some early magic from our defense. We really don't know how it will look either.

I can honestly say I expect both to be better than last year. That is not being rediculous.

That alone is worth 4 wins from better opponents.

We have 3 kinds of opponents.

Fair:
UTEP
ETSU
UNC Charlotte
WV

Good:
SC
UK
MO
Vandy
Fl

Tough:
Chumps
Gumps
Auburn

Go Vols!

WV guy here. No doubt TN can win the game, and I think they'll be better than last year, but I hope some of you aren't setting your coach up for a lot of unnecessary vitriol.

Whatever you may think about WV (even if you believe we're at the UNC Charlotte level - wow), we are a P5 team with a good number of returning starters. The last two SEC teams we played were Missouri in 2016 (won by 15, and should have been much more) and Bama in '14 (lost by 10 but got their attention). WV does not have the history of TN, but history means just as much as the betting line.

I think it'll be a good competitive game, but realistically, I think we'll score a little too much for TN to handle at that point. Expect a lot of scoring, but also expect our defense to be a good bit stronger next year. I'm guessing 38-30 for WV. I wish y'all well, and hope you win every game thereafter. Even against Bama.

First and foremost, welcome to VolNation. Now, allow me to take a moment to address your post by section:

WV guy here. No doubt TN can win the game, and I think they'll be better than last year, but I hope some of you aren't setting your coach up for a lot of unnecessary vitriol.

Oh, but we are. It’s what we do here on VN.

Whatever you may think about WV (even if you believe we're at the UNC Charlotte level - wow), we are a P5 team with a good number of returning starters. The last two SEC teams we played were Missouri in 2016 (won by 15, and should have been much more) and Bama in '14 (lost by 10 but got their attention). WV does not have the history of TN, but history means just as much as the betting line.

Despite the rampant lunacy to be found here, not everyone is out to lunch. Many of us are aware of WVU and what Dana’s offense is capable of doing to us, particularly when we’ll be breaking in a new 3-4 defense, likely without much true 3-4 personnel.

I think it'll be a good competitive game, but realistically, I think we'll score a little too much for TN to handle at that point. Expect a lot of scoring, but also expect our defense to be a good bit stronger next year. I'm guessing 38-30 for WV. I wish y'all well, and hope you win every game thereafter. Even against Bama.

I think that’s a generous score line you give to UT. I am excited about the stable of coaches Pruitt has brought in, as well as the promise he shows as a head coach. But, new offense, new defense, brand new head coach... that doesn’t bode well against a team who has proven its offensive prowess. Here’s to hoping I’m pleasantly surprised and we beat you all.

Again, welcome, thanks for the classy post.

If we lose to y'all it will be a long painful year. The way I graded y'all was to indicate strength compared to the other teams on our schedule. Y'all are the best of our OC opponents, but are less of a threat than any SEC team on our schedule. Including Vandy.

I expect CJP to put his trust in our defense but have our offense clicking too.

If we lose to y'all it will be a long painful year. The way I graded y'all was to indicate strength compared to the other teams on our schedule. Y'all are the best of our OC opponents, but are less of a threat than any SEC team on our schedule. Including Vandy.

WVU is way more dangerous that Vandy, USCe and Kentucky.

Reactions: 2 people
Heck...I think if we go by 2017, WVU is much scarier than Florida. I see them as a Mizzou clone. If ya don't figure out how to stop their O, it'll be a very long day. But the D doesn't scare me.

Wow. Thats unreal.

Reactions: 2 people
With WV being our opening game with new everything and with plenty of film on them, it seems to me that we have the advantage. I bet there will be more than just Vol fans watching the O&W game just to see what we are up to when it comes to our schemes on both sides of the ball.

Normally a WV type school could game plan starting after their last game the year before, but with our changes, sure they can look and find out weak links from 2017 and hope they carry over and they can point out our strengths and try to figure a way to slow that down but by most part all they can do is work on their own stuff, the same stuff that made them so good last year.

There is no film that will help any team get ready for the 2018 Vols yet. That is huge. It will be like WV will be playing in the dark against us. Maybe I'm wrong.

I expect us to be at our healthiest to start the season rather than missing any a bunch of starters and solid backups. We might be down to some 3rd stringers giving some help, but I expect them to be better developed than some of the 1st stringers from 2017. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sure it still means a lot to beat the Vols. There is no rivalry between us and WV. It's another ballgame that is on both of our schedules. They aren't grinding an axe for us, like Vandy and SC or even Ky. The SEC traditional bottom feeders got a taste if blood over the past few years and will be motivated to keep their win streaks going against us. Maybe I'm wrong.

Nobody knows who will be doing what when the Vols hit the field in 2018. They are all in the dark just like us. Will CJP force a scheme on players that can't execute it? I doubt it. Or will he evaluate our talent and figure out what we can do effectively and come up with game plans that will play to our strengths? That's what I expect. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Wow. Thats unreal.

Its cool. I expect some fans to have this perspective. I agree that there's no real rivalry, and that does play a part in the intensity of the game. So, in that sense, Vandy might be considered a bigger potential challenge - same state/same conference. Though TN has a huge advantage over Vandy to be sure.

I'm sure TN wants to make a showing in its first game with a new staff, and WV thinks it can win 10 games in 2018. If we lose to TN, which again, is entirely possible considering past recruiting results, we will not achieve our goals either.

I kind of disagree that Tennessee's season will be based on the first game. I think the measure of the new staff will be how they finish, not how they start. We're in year 8 with Holgerson, and that's an entirely different perspective.

Again, best of luck.

Cheer up.

UT beats WV 28-10.

Trust me. I've never been wrong predicting a UT-WV game before.

Its cool. I expect some fans to have this perspective. I agree that there's no real rivalry, and that does play a part in the intensity of the game. So, in that sense, Vandy might be considered a bigger potential challenge - same state/same conference. Though TN has a huge advantage over Vandy to be sure.

I'm sure TN wants to make a showing in its first game with a new staff, and WV thinks it can win 10 games in 2018. If we lose to TN, which again, is entirely possible considering past recruiting results, we will not achieve our goals either.

I kind of disagree that Tennessee's season will be based on the first game. I think the measure of the new staff will be how they finish, not how they start. We're in year 8 with Holgerson, and that's an entirely different perspective.

Again, best of luck.

Classy post, wished our Bama and Georgia guests (?), were this objective.

3929330.jpg

Grier has all off season to ummmmmmm.....train

Those two pictures don’t show much of anything

Last edited:

Again, best of luck.

I watch WVU every weekend, I live in WV, and all of my friends are wvu fans first, converted Vol fans second. Saturday's in the Fall often consist of a two TV set up with each team playing.
I won't say a lot about the game, it's a toss up imo, but I'm fully prepared for a loss. Vols are a much more talented team, but like mentioned, will be a first game for an all new everything! I think it will boil down to a typically weak WVU o line and what our D line can do to put pressure on Grier. Sills will be a thorn, but I feel good about our secondary. If our d gives Grier all day to make throws tho, it'll be a long day for Vols!
I expect us to run the ball well, but if we can't throw, it'll be one dimensional, and y'all will break outta that 3-3-5, and stack the box to shut us down.
I'm heading down with about 10-12 friends, should be fun!

Reactions: 1 person
I watch WVU every weekend, I live in WV, and all of my friends are wvu fans first, converted Vol fans second. Saturday's in the Fall often consist of a two TV set up with each team playing.
I won't say a lot about the game, it's a toss up imo, but I'm fully prepared for a loss. Vols are a much more talented team, but like mentioned, will be a first game for an all new everything! I think it will boil down to a typically weak WVU o line and what our D line can do to put pressure on Grier. Sills will be a thorn, but I feel good about our secondary. If our d gives Grier all day to make throws tho, it'll be a long day for Vols!
I expect us to run the ball well, but if we can't throw, it'll be one dimensional, and y'all will break outta that 3-3-5, and stack the box to shut us down.
I'm heading down with about 10-12 friends, should be fun!

If Butch were still at the helm. This game would get ugly quick.
Like Oregon in 2013 bad. Holgerson would have no mercy.

But Pruitt has assembled an impressive staff.

And from a talent standpoint. We're MORE talented than a South Carolina team that finished at 9 wins. Tennessee is still the 2nd most talented team in the division.

The one-two punch of Chandler and Banks on offense.

And our front 7 on defense will be the strength of our team next year early on.

JG and his evolution under Helton is key.

Callaway and Jennings will be as good as tandem in the conference. All depends on JG.

The O-line will be fine. They are not as bad as they have looked.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back