You can try and blame the refs...

I was literally shocked that Vegas had us at +14. They haven’t been watching us. Even if we lost I said no way it was by 14 or more. This was always going to be a close game.
I was really impressed with your coach when he was here at UTC. Better enjoy him, if he doesnt go to Michihan this year he will be in Lexington in 2 or 3.

Completely outcoached our so called Hall of Famer.

Other players need to step up offensively and they will be fine.

This is wake up call if they expect to have a deep run

Reactions: TNVOLFN
While the officials clearly struggled tonight we simply missed to many bunnies and couldn’t make our free throws. And couldn’t get rebounds when we desperately needed a stop. SC deserved to win…but the Vols really looked bad. Poor DK needs someone to help wirh the scoring as well. Simply can NOT have JJJ scoring 2 pts and expect to win 🤷‍♂️. . And Aidoo sitting with foul trouble didn’t help the flow either. It’s a long season and teams will have a loss or two like this.
JJJ needs to be benched. He has 2-3 decent games a year, but a liability all of the other games.
I'd start Mashack the rest of the year

Reactions: Native Orange
While the officials clearly struggled tonight we simply missed to many bunnies and couldn’t make our free throws. And couldn’t get rebounds when we desperately needed a stop. SC deserved to win…but the Vols really looked bad. Poor DK needs someone to help wirh the scoring as well. Simply can NOT have JJJ scoring 2 pts and expect to win 🤷‍♂️. . And Aidoo sitting with foul trouble didn’t help the flow either. It’s a long season and teams will have a loss or two like this.

Yup, some questionable whistles for sure. But you can’t shoot that percentage, miss that many free throws, and 10+ shots from underneath the rim and expect to win.

Vols got out hustled tonight and had too many guys go cold tonight.

If Tennessee had made the FTs and bunnies, the refs could have just countered with worse officiating—or assess a momentum killing technical. It’s untelling. The coaches and players can fix the bunnies and FTs, but they can’t convince the refs to like Tennessee. Good grief, when Coach Barnes draws a T (last game) from an off official while have a conversation with another official, something’s up.

But missing 15 layups, 8 free throws, and getting outrebounded and out hustled is the reason.
Dalton 31 points, rest of Tennessee 28 points. If all of the other players could just play average, they could be great. They seem to be very unselfish when it comes to Dalton but they can’t make their own shots fall when they are called on. Hard to explain.

True, but JJJ was consistent with his season so far. Can't have Ziegler, JJJ, Mashack, and Gainey combine for 4 points. I think they were a combined 0-9 from 3-pt range too. That killed us. Give SC credit for disrupting our offense but it was just a bad game when you miss bunnies and free throws. USC didn't cause most of those misses.

One more very odd detail about this game is that Zeigler and Mashack are normally tenacious on defense and just pester the opposing guards to death. Tonight I didn't see either of them make a defensive play on the ball. They just looked slower or less aggressive, not sure.

Reactions: DixieVol
Officiating has been awful, atrocious, pitiful, terrible, embarrassing ALL YEAR.

I don't understand it...it is horrible both ways.

I live on the SC coast. I despise the gamecocks. Losing to this crap team on our home court can not be fixed. This team should forever live with this shame.
Hey now. This team is awesome and will make a deep NCAAT run. May I ask why you despise us so much?

Dalton 31 points, rest of Tennessee 28 points. If all of the other players could just play average, they could be great. They seem to be very unselfish when it comes to Dalton but they can’t make their own shots fall when they are called on. Hard to explain.
Tennessee is a little overrated. A top 12 to 16 team. No shot at an SEC title at this point. A 3 or 4 seed and another sweet 16. Not bad. Who knows they might do a little better if they get hot at the right time.

There can be more than one reason
Don’t get what’s so hard to understand about this. Good teams play bad and skate by inferior opponents all the time. Just because you’re having an off night doesn’t mean you can’t be upset at incompetence.

Yes if we’d played better, we’d have won. I don’t think anybody is denying that. But if they weren't gifted a dozen points in an essentially single possession game, we’d have won too. Both can be true.

Reactions: Col_Cathcart
Tennessee is a little overrated. A top 12 to 16 team. No shot at an SEC title at this point. A 3 or 4 seed and another sweet 16. Not bad. Who knows they might do a little better if they get hot at the right time.
You just watched a perfect storm where 5 of our top 8 guys all had atrocious shooting nights. Season is far from over, but got to be able to score points to win basketball games

Reactions: chuckiepoo and sami

VN Store

Back