You want perspective, here's my perspective

Well...I'll try it this way...

When I see Tea Cooper drive into a double team over on a sideline I blame Tea Cooper because when she was six years old her coach told her not to do that.

Then her middle school coach told her not to do that.

Then her HS coach told her not to do that and so did her AAU coach, so did the coach that coached her in her All Star games...

Yet...she did it three or four times today and she and others have done it all season. Chemistry was better in the tourney, but I'm sure that was a battle all season behind the scenes and at the highest level of the sport that's a killer.

Let me be plain.

Do I think Holly Warlick is the best coach in WCBB? No.

Geno is the best coach and if I can't get him who do I go after and do I think that person can beat him? The Coach at ND? The Coach at SC? Stanford?

Name?

Record?

NCAA Tourney results?

That's it. Period.

So, again, Name?

Here's how it works. Dave Hart calls a search firm. He talks to agents. The agents pitch their clients and send over bios. The search firm fully vets candidates and prepares a short list with a file for each candidate. The candidates are scored. Hart reviews the files, has discussions with the search firm and the agents and prepares his own short list, based on the info presented. He sets up interviews, talks to candidates, gauges their fit, evaluates their qualifications and requirements and ranks his choices. Nowhere in this process do anonymous fans on message boards provide names, records and tournament results. There are professionals who are incredibly well-compensated to match positions with personnel, and universities utilize their services with great success.

Anyone who thinks UT wouldn't be able to hire a competent WBB coach has a very low opinion of UT. I have a much higher opinion of UT and think UTAD would be presented with a quality list of desirable candidates from which to choose.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't kid yourself. This is a top 3 women's CBB job and Hart would essentially have his pick of whoever he wants to be the next coach. Staley would be my first call as we did the right thing out of loyalty by giving Pat's friend the job, but now it's time to turn over a new leaf and get some new blood in there. It won't happen as Hart has no balls, but to say we can't do better than Warlick is just asinine.

There is no way to say that this is a number 3 women's program while Dave Hart is in charge and as long as he is in charge no top 20 woman coach would take this job, might get a man to do it, no woman would and even if you could get a woman, would that woman have a better resume than CHW?

Here's how it works. Dave Hart calls a search firm. He talks to agents. The agents pitch their clients and send over bios. The search firm fully vets candidates and prepares a short list with a file for each candidate. The candidates are scored. Hart reviews the files, has discussions with the search firm and the agents and prepares his own short list, based on the info presented. He sets up interviews, talks to candidates, gauges their fit, evaluates their qualifications and requirements and ranks his choices. Nowhere in this process do anonymous fans on message boards provide names, records and tournament results. There are professionals who are incredibly well-compensated to match positions with personnel, and universities utilize their services with great success.

Anyone who thinks UT wouldn't be able to hire a competent WBB coach has a very low opinion of UT. I have a much higher opinion of UT and think UTAD would be presented with a quality list of desirable candidates from which to choose.

Yet you can't give your preference? How much they make compared to CHW's salary? A guesstimate of how much it costs because I guess that's not an issue.

LOL...Dave has a level of knowledge and expertise that no one else has...he said so...then after he and Donnie agreed to a 5 year deal, without lawyers present because Dave doesn't do lawyers, Tyndall threatened to back out of the deal wanting a 6th year...of course by then Hart had egg all over his face, Tyndall had leverage and Hart gave him a sixth year deal to get it done.

The rest as they say is history.

The fact that an E8 means competence is lacking...well I don't know what to make of it...even if you say we have final four talent, we were within a game of it...

I like the guy at Louisville, for instance, but they lost to Depaul, a six seed...does that mean UofL should fire him?

Last edited:
LOL...Dave has a level of knowledge and expertise that no one else has...he said so...then after he and Donnie agreed to a 5 year deal, without lawyers present because Dave doesn't do lawyers, Tyndall threatened to back out of the deal wanting a 6th year...of course by then Hart had egg all over his face, Tyndall had leverage and Hart gave him a sixth year deal to get it done.

The rest as they say is history.

The fact that an E8 means competence is lacking...well I don't know what to make of it...even if you say we have final four talent, we were within a game of it...

I like the guy at Louisville, for instance, but they lost to Depaul, a six seed...does that mean UofL should fire him?
He has stated he has no interest in the tennessee job

To me the Lady Vols job would be like Kansas or North Carolina mens looking to feel their coaching job. It would be a very coveted job on the womens side.

He has stated he has no interest in the tennessee job

I know...maybe that was a bad example...ND lost to a lower seeded Stanford, should McGraw be fired? Would she take the UT job if offered? How much does she make compared to Warlick?

Not aimed at you, but it appears as if some would rather be right than happy.

To me the Lady Vols job would be like Kansas or North Carolina mens looking to feel their coaching job. It would be a very coveted job on the womens side.

Under the right circumstances. If you fire Self for lack of achievement because they lost to a lower seeded Villanova, sure lots of people would want the job, but are they better than Self?

I appreciate the debate with everyone, we don't all share the same opinions, but as a non regular poster in the LV's forum I respect that many of you are very passionate on this subject and I know we all want the young women who wear the orange to have a great experience. Go Lady Vols and...

GBO!!!

Let's be honest. The Lady Vols having a "great experience" is the last thing anybody cares about. That's for programs like Austin Peay or Eastern Kentucky to get excited about.

If by "great experience" you mean winning...then yes I think most fans, players, coaches, alumni etc would place some importance on that. "a great experience" is something for Idaho St to sell the masses.

If Holly wants to keep the job then she must do a better job recruiting and evaluating players. You must have more than athletes players must have some basketball skills. You also must always have players on the floor that can consistently hit the three and outside shots. Big summer for Holly and her staff as I see us sitting about sixth in the SEC right now we'll need to find some help for next season and need a super class in 2017.

As I've said, name the man or woman, go after him or her and then deliver three E8's in four years or be fired.

Not too mention recruit and land all the Mickey D AA's due to tradition alone, apparently.

It's easy, We're Tennessee!

++++++++++++

HW entered HC with a full slate of talent. And this team is not even counting those already graduated that Pat caused to come here...With the talent left to HW she under-achieved. Any decent middle school coach could have gotten this team to where it got to.

It doesn't matter what I want. I'd love to see the players achieve what they want, what they earn and sure I'd like to see us beat UConn, of course.

We didn't have what it takes this year. Simple as that.

We had the vehicle... we didn't have the driver

This is symptomatic of the problem. Recruits don't think the LVs are having a down year; they think the program is down, and they don't have confidence the coaches can turn it around. Top recruits want to play for winning teams and confident coaches, and that's not how they perceive the LVs.
Well said!:good!:

I agree Holly is a true VFL. That does not make her a good bb coach. She is not.

Getting the Vols to the Elite 8 pretty much guarantees that Holly is going nowhere. Hart wasn't going to spend the money to fire her when the team was losing; he definitely has no reason to fire her now. Did the team underperform with the talent they have? YES! Did they live up to their #4 preseason ranking? NO!

But how are they any different from the entire SEC Conference? 2016 will be yet another year without an SEC team in the Final Four. Since Tennessee won the national Championship in 2008 until next weekend, there will have been 32 teams that have gone to the Final Four. Only one (South Carolina in 2015) has represented the SEC. A lot of mediocre teams qualify for the tournament, but none of them make it to the upper echelons. Until the coaching improves throughout the conference, that will not change.

Will the SEC spend more money on better WCBB coaches? The SEC only cares about football because of the revenues it generates. There is no financial incentive to pour money into programs (like WCBB) that are already in the red.

Define happy...do I think the Coach deserves to be fired based on the results?

Nah and as I keep saying, if you do pull that trigger you could be looking at a lot worse...at least we HAVE some good players...

The further removed you get from Pat Summitt the further away you get from the tradition...you could be looking down the barrel of no tourney with the same record we had this regular season and I've yet to see anyone mention a sure fire coach who could deliver the substandard 3 E8's in his/her first 4 years.
These statements are horse caw caw!

Imagine this type of happening in our football program... Oh yeah, it was kinda like this wasn't it... But did the University sit back and let anyone bring us further down... Not just "NO",,,, Hell NO!. No way. Don't F with UT football. It's a religion here...Did the university extend the contract of the pretender coaches that preceded the one we have now. NO. No they went out and got Butch and a couple of years later, look at his team... And its not just Tennessee folks, the nation knows UT is turning football around....

Now consider the history of the Lady Vols.... Many more titles than our boys of winter, yet, I hear nothing but, give Holly another year....To do what, ! ? . Match Pat Summit's career loss total?

I have been a fan all of my adult life to this lady vol program and I am torn up over this.... I am actually exhausted from watching that game.

Holly:
She didn't coach at all...Didn't work the refs...Didn't calm down her players...Subbed like she was scared...
And stood there with her arms either folded or on her hip the entire game... She is in over her head!

Watch the game again.... Moments into the second half she was looking up at the clock. Yes" watching the clock. . . A coach only does that in two instances... Hurry up and run out, or, because it is running out and they don't want it to... I wonder which thought was in HW's mind?

I am going to shut up now. To the dismay of some and the delight of others I am too upset to post anymore ... all I can think of is how the road to the final four was almost magically paved for us and we got a driver who wrecked the bus.... Dave, take this serious. . . HW just got out-coached by a guy that struggled to even get a coaching job and by an unranked team with no known players".

I may need find a defibrillator.

Sorry Vol Nation, but if I continue to post this mad, I may say something I will regret... TTY tomorrow.

Sigh.

As a whole, I am super displeased with how the season went. Since Holly has been in charge, South Carolina & Kentucky have passed us up in the S.E.C.
Other schools are out recruiting us on a regular basis.

I am very surprised that we won even a single game in the NCAA tournament.
It is bitter sweet though. Because of this tourney run, the A.D. may have to give her an extension, rather than put her further on the hot seat for 2017.

For those who may have reservations about replacing Holly, just know that there are many young, up & coming coaches who would want this job and would perform better and be hungry for the job. So, replacing her should not be an issue. Only person who could screw up that hire would have been Mike Hamilton......

Imagine this type of happening in our football program... Oh yeah, it was kinda like this wasn't it... But did the University sit back and let anyone bring us further down... Not just "NO",,,, Hell NO!. No way. Don't F with UT football. It's a religion here...Did the university extend the contract of the pretender coaches that preceded the one we have now. NO. No they went out and got Butch and a couple of years later, look at his team... And its not just Tennessee folks, the nation knows UT is turning football around....

Now consider the history of the Lady Vols.... Many more titles than our boys of winter, yet, I hear nothing but, give Holly another year....To do what, ! ? . Match Pat Summit's career loss total?

I have been a fan all of my adult life to this lady vol program and I am torn up over this.... I am actually exhausted from watching that game.

Holly:
She didn't coach at all...Didn't work the refs...Didn't calm down her players...Subbed like she was scared...
And stood there with her arms either folded or on her hip the entire game... She is in over her head!

Watch the game again.... Moments into the second half she was looking up at the clock. Yes" watching the clock. . . A coach only does that in two instances... Hurry up and run out, or, because it is running out and they don't want it to... I wonder which thought was in HW's mind?

I am going to shut up now. To the dismay of some and the delight of others I am too upset to post anymore ... all I can think of is how the road to the final four was almost magically paved for us and we got a driver who wrecked the bus.... Dave, take this serious. . . HW just got out-coached by a guy that struggled to even get a coaching job and by an unranked team with no known players".

I may need find a defibrillator.

Sorry Vol Nation, but if I continue to post this mad, I may say something I will regret... TTY tomorrow.

Sigh.

Holly got out coached by Quentin Hillsman big time. And he did something Holly refuse to do or is to scared. He blasted B.Butler during a timeout twice on TV. And what did she due after that tongue lashing stepped up big time.

Kiffin was a bad hire, but they bought into it. How many failing years did they give Dooley? Still waiting for the football program to make that big step after BJ year 4. Hope this is the year for it. Holly isn't going away.

I think both of you have valid points, but I don't judge a team by the tournament. The regular season pointed toward serious issues with team chemistry, injuries and coaching flaws.

Does UT need a new coach, at this point yes. My reason, the fan base is divided, the University's stance on Lady Vols, Holly's struggles on the court. A new coach would be the best thing, she/he would be Hart's hire, which so far he has done a pretty good job with Jones and Barnes.........IMHO.

Go Vols!!

VN Store

Back