“Tell Them I did My Bit” - Memorial Day 2013

OneManGang

“Tell Them I did My Bit” - Memorial Day 2013

The United States was a latecomer to the First World War. After a series of provocations, the Congress finally acted, declaring war on Germany and Austria-Hungary in April of 1917. The US Army was in such sorry shape at the time war was declared that it was May of the next year before even a single division could deploy to France and make an attack.

That being said, over 4.5 million young Americans were called to the colors and over two million of them made it to France before the Armistice. According to official Army figures 56,000 of them were killed in combat or died of their wounds, a similar number fell victim to disease, accidents or other “non-combat” causes. The Army's statistical record also points out the grim fact that in the last six weeks of fighting the AEF (American Expeditionary Force) was suffering an average of 6,000 killed in action EACH WEEK. No, that is not a mis-print.

Knoxville and Knox County contributed 5,305 men to the cause. Of these 11 officers and 150 enlisted men died in service, a rate of just under 5% which is very heavy, considering only about half the total number in service actually went to France. Of these 161 fatalities, 122 were killed in action.

Thousands of cars and trucks cross the Alcoa Highway Bridge going to and from Knoxville every day. A few of the drivers know that the bridge is properly named the J.E. “Buck” Karnes Bridge. They figure he must have been some politician or rich guy. They would be wrong.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]AWARD[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]OF THE[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]FOR CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY AND[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]INTREPIDITY ABOVE AND BEYOND[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]THE CALL OF DUTY IN ACTION WITH THE ENEMY[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]JAMES E. KARNES, sergeant, Company D, 117th Infantry, 30th Division. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy near Estrees, France, October 8, 1918. During an advance his company was held up by a machine gun which was enfilading the line. Accompanied by another soldier, he advanced against this position and succeeded in reducing the nest by killing three and capturing seven of the enemy and their guns. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Residence at enlistment: 2501 Broadway Avenue, Knoxville, Tenn.[/FONT]

Finally, the politicians agreed to an Armistice. With typical Great War perversity, the agreed to time for the guns to go silent was “the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.” At 1100 hours on 11 November 1918, the fighting would stop. The AEF was on the offensive and Black Jack Pershing was determined to make the Germans aware that the Americans had beaten them and ordered American units to continue the attack right up to 1100.

In the National Cemetery in Knoxville the headstones are all laid out just so. Marker B-17 8698 belongs to Private Oscar Rider of M Company, 3rd Battalion, 321st Infantry, 81st Division. Private Rider enlisted on April 26, 1918 and after an abbreviated training at Camp Jackson, SC, shipped out to France with the rest of the division, arriving there on August 14. By September 16, they were in the front lines in a quiet sector where boredom was a bigger danger than the Germans. After some back and forth, they were finally ordered to make a major attack at 0600 on 11 November, a mere five hours before the guns were to fall silent. M Company led the advance but came under determined German machine-gun fire. One hour before he could have stacked arms and come home to Knoxville, Private Oscar Rider was killed. He was the last Knoxvillian to fall in action in the Great War. In a war characterized by futility, it is perhaps fitting that Private Rider's ultimate sacrifice was in a meaningless attack on a meaningless objective in the last hour of a war that settled nothing.

I will close out with the story of another of those names to be read Monday, Corporal Ralph Boles.

Ralph Boles joined the Tennessee National Guard before the war and took part in the security operations along the Texas border in 1916 to protect against any further depredations of Pancho Villa and his band of merry cutthroats. He returned to Knoxville but was called back to active duty when the Tennessee National Guard was activated for service in World War I.

Corporal Boles was assigned to Headquarters Company, 117th Infantry, and took part in the bitter fighting around Bellicourt, France, and jumped off with his regiment on October 8, 1918 in an assault on the town of Premont. Corporal Boles was killed that day along with twenty-seven of his fellow Knoxvillians.

After the war his family had his remains brought home and he sleeps now in the National Cemetery in his home town.

On his headstone there is a sentiment that would seem to express all that these young men of the Great War and all our wars before and since try to say to us through the mists of time:

“Tell them I did my bit.”

Monday, for the third year in row, it will be my honor to stand to the podium and participate in the "Reading of the Names" at the East Tennessee Veterans Memorial on the World's Fair site. I would suggest that everyone who can do so make it a point Monday morning to attend this moving ceremony. You don't have to do any of the readings, your presence alone will be deeply meaningful to the veterans and families honoring those who gave Lincoln's "last full measure" on battlefields from France in World War I to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I wish the entire VolNation family a very safe and happy Memorial Day.

- Pat Gang, Memorial Day Weekend 2013

Reactions: 69 people
Can't like the post enough. I had no idea about the bridge. I remember my fellow soldiers and friends who fell in battle not just this week but always.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the great post. Those Soldiers who fought in all the wars that the USA has been involved and who gave Their lives for their Country should be honored!

Reactions: 3 people
People today NEED to be reminded that "Freedom isn`t Free" isn`t about paying taxes. It`s the sacrifice these men and countless others have made for OUR Freedom.

Thank You for your post.

Well done, sir.

well_done_sir.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Great post onegang if there is one day in the year you want to thank somebody for something its Monday. To all who have lost their lives or is still serving this great nation I want to thank you for all the sacrifices you have endured. One more note that should make all Tennessee people proud, we have sent more people to battle in every war than any other state including the war in Iraq and afganistan why else would we be called the volunteer state. GBO!

Great post. We are blessed and forever thankful for the sacrifices of men and women who have and are currently serving.

God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.

-Daniel Webster

May God always bless, comfort and protect those that have served our great nation in the past and serve right now all around the world!

Volunteer for Life!

Oh beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife
Who more than self
Their country loved, and
Mercy more than life.
America, America,
May God thy gold refine
'Til all success be nobleness
and every gain divine.

God bless all of our veterans, especially those who paid the ultimate price.

I get a chill down my spine every time I read a Medal Honor Citation. Every single time it reminds me that there are great, under appreciated men in this world that do extraordinary things when they need to. There is nothing the American people can give these men that is sufficient enough to thank them for their service.

I didn't know that Karnes was in the 117th of the 30th Div.

For more about this unit in the SECOND WW, I recommend, Battle for Mortain: The 30th Infantry Division Saves the Breakout, August 7-12, 1944 by Featherston. A lot of Tennessee boys and Carolina ones, did their bit in this battle. I was privileged to get to tour the area a few yrs ago.

Can't like the post enough. I had no idea about the bridge. I remember my fellow soldiers and friends who fell in battle not just this week but always.

Thank you for your service, Sir.

The other soldier mentioned in "Buck" Karnes' citation was Calvin John Ward of Russellville (just northeast of Morristown) who also earned the CMH that day.

KARNS.jpg

Corporal James E. "Buck" Karnes

James E. "Buck" Karnes passed away at age 78 on July 8, 1966, in Sacramento and was brought home to Knoxville for a military funeral and burial on July 13, with White House, Tennessee, and military representatives present. A further sad event was precipitated by the funeral. According to a small article in the Knoxville Journal, July 11, 1966, Ward was to be a pallbearer at the funeral of his comrade, but was unable to attend due to his poor health. When he found out on July 10 about the death of Karnes he became very emotionally upset, the next morning suffered a seizure, and was taken from Morristown to the Veterans Hospital in Johnson City. It is unclear if Ward ever made it to the gravesite of Karnes, and sadly, even as a friend tried to dissuade him, 69-year-old Calvin J. Ward took his own life on December 15, 1967 in a hotel room in Morristown. The two heroes proved to be linked, in life and in death.
East Tennessee Veterans Memorial Association

WARDX.jpg

Private Calvin John Ward

Ward was actually the most decorated enlisted soldier of the Great War.

Congressional Medal of Honor
Silver Star
2 Purple Hearts
French Croix de Guerre w/Palm
French Legion of Honor
British Distinguished Conduct
Belgian War Cross
Montenegro’s Bravery Cross

The Greeneville Sun Newspaper reported in 1997 that Calvin John Ward died on December 15, 1967. His death was ruled a suicide. "It took a literal act of Congress to get the grave marker," said Maxine Meade, of Sullivan County, Ward's only surviving sibling. "Calvin was never the same after the war," Mrs. Meade said. "He never talked about it, and neither did we. That gas over there was so horrible. He just never got over that shock." The gas and the scars from the horrors of war so dramatically altered the course of the rest of his life that some members of his family still list him as a casualty of the war.

WardStory

Not all fatal wounds bleed.

Last edited:
Thanks Pat for reminding us of the sacrifices and bravery of those
that gave their all in the fight for freedom everywhere..

GBO

Terry

AAR from the "Reading of the Names" 27 May 2013.

As I stated in the OP it was once again my honor to participate in this ceremony today. I did a pretty good job of keeping everything together until ...

My younger son was Reader #64 and I was #65. As we waited in the "bullpen" next to the podium, a lady in the row in front of us leaned over and asked our numbers and then told us she was #66 - the last reader for the day.

As I was heading toward the end of my part of the list, I gave the lady a "high sign" to let her know to get ready.

I was surprised when a completely different woman stood to the podium and commenced reading names from Iraq and Afghanistan.

I noticed her voice hitched at certain points as she read.

What I learned after she finished floored me.

The names of 6,202 East Tennesseans were read this morning.

The very last of those names was that of Senior Airman Benjamin D. White of Erwin.

Air Force Senior Airman Benjamin D. White

Reader #66 was his mother.

I can't see my keyboard ...

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back