⚽️ #25 Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

No. 10 UT Falls to Vanderbilt in Overtime, 2-1

B4813E89-BC68-471E-80E9-7D731F81816A.jpeg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The tenth-ranked Volunteers suffered their second loss of the season on Thursday, falling at Vanderbilt in overtime, 2-1.

UT (13-2-0, 6-2-0 SEC) set the pace offensively, outshooting the Commodores 21-7 and maintaining possession for 56 percent of the contest, but struggled to find the net. Senior Mackenzie George was the goal-scorer for Tennessee, and senior Abbey Burdette logged an assist.
Vanderbilt (7-7-2, 4-3-1 SEC) was led by Abi Brighton and Peyton Cutshall who each tallied goals.

"This one stings for all of the obvious reasons," said Tennessee head coach Brian Pensky. "Our team played extremely well. We were dangerous for large portions of the game; we just couldn't find that second goal, and unfortunately, they did. We have a great challenge and opportunity ahead of us now, putting this behind us and getting ready for another very good opponent in Georgia."

Tennessee wasted no time putting the pressure on, with Jaida Thomas getting a good look in the 10th minute but missing wide right off a cross from Taylor Huff. Claudia Dipasupil rocketed one from inside the box two minutes later, but a Vandy defender was there to make the save.

Vanderbilt took the lead in the 13th minute when Brighton caught the rebound off a set piece, sliding the ball in from two yards off the goal line.

Tennessee outshot VU 8-0 following the Vandy goal, but couldn't convert, trailing 1-0 at halftime.

George evened the score just four minutes into the second half, splitting two defenders to drive a shot into the lower right corner of the goal from 13 yards out. Burdette logged her second assist of the season on the play.

Quinn Cornog got a head on a cross to put a shot on goal for Vandy in the 67th minute, but Lindsey Romig was there to make the save.

Freshman Jordan Fusco got off three quality shots in a row between the 72ndand 80th minute, all from the top of the eighteen, but Kate Devine made two diving saves and the other sailed high.

Tennessee held the Commodores without a shot through the end of regulation, but couldn't find the go-ahead goal, sending the game into overtime.

Fusco and fellow freshman Claire Rain each got a shot off in the first two minutes of extra time, but it would be Vanderbilt who found the net first, scoring on a Shamburger header in the 94th minute.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will close out the regular season with a two-game homestand, hosting Georgia in a 5 p.m. ET matchup on Sunday and Kentucky in a 6 p.m. ET contest on Thursday for Senior Night. The match against Georgia will be streamed on SECN+ while the UK game will be broadcast by the SEC Network.

Reactions: StrangeVol
That was an extremely physical match. I thought McKenzie was going to get her head torn off more than once. I don't mind a bit of shoving from time to time but I think the officials let the roughness get out of hand last night. Vandy's big defenders pretty much mauled our forwards all game long.

I don't know what's wrong with Lindsey dropping so many balls but if I had to guess I'd say her hands are too "hard" (tension) and a hard shot tends to bounce out of her grasp. Other times she just mishandles the ball. I have no idea what's going on there. Concentration maybe?

Our corner kicks are just terrible and a lot of it is because the service is of low quality. Claudia had it going for a bit but now seems to be as weak as all the rest. And we DO NOT head the ball well at all! In fairness, we do have quite a few shorter players who just get boxed out or out jumped.

That was a tough one to lose. Really tough. Did I mention I HATE Vandy?

Last edited:
Did a lot well and enough bad to lose. Romiq was not alone in having an off game (though not securing the ball is becoming a trend) Burdette did not have her best game either. Strange is right they did let them maul us. I think you could give us an empty net and we could not head it in. We have speed, skill, and play hard it was not our night but a lot was self inflicted. Secure the ball and they do not score either goal. Head the ball down on the net and we have at least two more goals. Just not our best game. I too dislike Vandy Strange!

VN Store

Back