⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Whew!!! What a match! I am really proud of our girls! They owned the match for 2/3 of the time and were just relentless. That was a quality win! :)

We still have lots to work on but there is no quit in our girls and they are starting to play as physical as other teams have been playing against us. I dislike "rough" play as a rule, but sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire. Tip of the hat to Abbey Burdette who showed that she's not gonna take other teams rough play laying down. Good for her, that was a cheesy yellow she got but worth it.

For those worried about Thomas disappearing, watch her off the ball and you'll see that most of the time she has one or two opposing players in her shorts with her. She is being heavily marked as teams want to insure that Thomas does not beat them. Fortunately for us, we have others that can/will take up the slack, not the least of which is freshman Taylor Huff. In addition, we have some other young talent that is starting to emerge. Freshmen Jordan Fusco and Claire Rain are noteworthy.

Finally, I was very very proud of Lindsey Romig. She had a great night between the pipes and showed a lot of heart/guts in coming out and taking on an attack face to face. BTW, the lone goal for Auburn was pretty much luck as a clearance was hit into the shins of an Auburn player and bounced back into goal. The Auburn player was shocked by the goal. Just rotten luck for us... again.

Whew!!! What a match! I am really proud of our girls! They owned the match for 2/3 of the time and were just relentless. That was a quality win! :)

We still have lots to work on but there is no quit in our girls and they are starting to play as physical as other teams have been playing against us. I dislike "rough" play as a rule, but sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire. Tip of the hat to Abbey Burdette who showed that she's not gonna take other teams rough play laying down. Good for her, that was a cheesy yellow she got but worth it.

For those worried about Thomas disappearing, watch her off the ball and you'll see that most of the time she has one or two opposing players in her shorts with her. She is being heavily marked as teams want to insure that Thomas does not beat them. Fortunately for us, we have others that can/will take up the slack, not the least of which is freshman Taylor Huff. In addition, we have some other young talent that is starting to emerge. Freshmen Jordan Fusco and Claire Rain are noteworthy.

Finally, I was very very proud of Lindsey Romig. She had a great night between the pipes and showed a lot of heart/guts in coming out and taking on an attack face to face. BTW, the lone goal for Auburn was pretty much luck as a clearance was hit into the shins of an Auburn player and bounced back into goal. The Auburn player was shocked by the goal. Just rotten luck for us... again.
Was pleasantly surprised with the play yesterday especially after the Arkansas defeat. Excellent write up, loved reading your insights on the matche.

Was pleasantly surprised with the play yesterday especially after the Arkansas defeat. Excellent write up, loved reading your insights on the matche.

First, thanks for your kind words. As to the quality of my observations, all I can say is that they are probably worth about what you paid for them ;)

Having said that I do want to offer another observation: When we are aggressive and keep the pressure on our opponents, we are a much more effective team. Moving our defense to mid-pitch and treating the center line as if it were the 18 yard line really works for us against most teams. Against teams like Arkansas, that has speed and really good passing, we struggle. When we lay back and play with a defensive mindset we often get beat. I think it's just the nature of our team to be aggressive.
When we get away from that we don't fare well.

Reactions: MAD
Taking this show on the road!

MATCH CENTRAL: No. RV/17 UT at Missouri

04772D25-9F80-406F-BBB1-E3B5E9F9B5D2.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. RV/17 Tennessee is back in action on Sunday, traveling to Missouri for a 4 p.m. ET contest that will be televised on SEC Network.

The Vols, who are 8-1-0 on the season, are coming off a double-overtime victory over No. 11/13 Auburn at home on Thursday. Tennessee's only setback was a 3-1 loss at Arkansas in the SEC opener.

Missouri carries a 4-5-0 record and is 0-2 in league play. In their most recent outing, the Tigers lost at Alabama, 2-1.

UT is 6-2-0 all-time against UM. The last time the two teams played each other was Oct. 9, 2020, in Knoxville, when the Big Orange took a 2-1 victory.

UP NEXT: Tennessee faces another road game, heading to Texas A&M for an 8 p.m. ET contest on Friday, Oct. 1. The game will be streamed on SECN+.
BY THE NUMBERS: Tennessee has allowed the fewest goals in the SEC (4), has recorded the most shutouts (7), and is tied with LSU for the best overall win percentage of .889.

PROTECTING THE NET: Before giving up a goal at Arkansas, UT's defense tallied 633 scoreless minutes. The back line has limited opponents to a combined 4 goals, 33 shots on goal and 16 corner kicks through nine games.

FRESHMAN PHENOM: With six goals on the season, freshman Taylor Huff leads the team in goals and is tied for eighth in the SEC. She has the second-most goals among rookies, behind only Daniella Lewin at Georgia who has seven.

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: Twelve different Vols have scored at least one goal this season, and 12 of UT's 28 goals have been scored by players coming off the bench.

'TIL THE FINAL WHISTLE: With a goal in the 86th minute against Auburn, UT has now scored six goals during the final 10 minutes of regulation this season.

CREATING CHANCES: UT leads the SEC in corner kicks per game (9.3) and shots per game (23.78), and ranks second in points per game (9.11) and goals per game (3.11).

POSSESSION IS KEY: The Vols have maintained possession for 50 percent or more in eight of nine games and have held possession for 60 percent or more of six contests.

Our Volleyball team gave new meaning to the word "balance" in today's match. I hope we are as well balanced on the Soccer pitch this afternoon. If we are, we'll win. :)

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Reactions: MAD
Man these games are really hard on my ole heart. Another nail biter but a win at the end of the day! The officiating was very one sided on most issues but the off side calls were correct even on George's first goal, but you had to hold your head just right with one eye closed to see it. I've seen far worse violations not called offside.

I do have to take my hat of to the Mizzou back line defenders, they played their hearts out against unrelenting pressure for the entire second half. Really impressive performance. Having said that, Lindsey had the save of the game on the ball she deflected over the bar. That shot was a goal otherwise. It still pays to have a 6 foot blond goddess as your keeper!

And once again the Lady Vols WIN!!!

No. RV/17 UT Takes Overtime Win At Mizzou, 2-1
FCC72824-06C0-4EB5-A444-18902FAD3737.jpeg
COLUMBIA, Mo. – No. RV/17 Tennessee took a gritty double-overtime victory over Missouri, winning in Columbia, 2-1.

Redshirt-sophomore Jaida Thomas and senior Hannah Zaluski were the goal scorers for UT (9-1-0, 2-1 SEC). Junior Lindsey Romig played the full game in goal, making two saves, including getting a hand on a screamer from Milena Fischer that was headed for the corner of the goal in the 76th minute.

UT out-shot the Tigers 17-6, getting seven shots on frame compared to just three for UM.

"This was our first two-game SEC weekend in almost two years, and there were moments today where that was pretty evident. These Sunday games are sometimes about just finding a way - finding a way to make a play or two, especially on the road," said Tennessee head coach Brian Pensky.

"Unfortunately, we didn't do ourselves any favors early on. Mizzou came ready to play and punished us early - hats off to them. But we have a resilient, veteran bunch, and they found a way to get a couple goals. It's a big weekend for us, getting 6 points. We'll enjoy it for a bit, before turning our focus to a talented A&M team."

Mizzou (4-6-0, 0-3 SEC) jumped out to an early lead off a goal by Fischer in the eighth minute.

But Vols didn't trail for long, tying it up at the 16-minute mark when Taylor Huff found Thomas breaking into the box, and Thomas buried it high in the net.

Thomas nearly added a second four minutes later, getting a head on a Mackenzie George cross, but it went high, and the score remained knotted at one through the half.

UT had a number of chances in the second half, keeping the ball on the Tigers' end of the field for the majority of play, but the Vols struggled to stay in front of Mizzou's offside trap.

Redshirt-junior Brooke Wilson put one into the back of the net at the 67-minute mark, but it was called back due to the ball making contact with the referee on the previous play. She put two others in the goal before the end of regulation, but both were called back as offside.

In extra time, Thomas got a great look in the closing seconds of the first period, but it sailed about a foot over the crossbar, sending the game into double overtime.

Tennessee kept the pressure up in the second overtime period, and it paid off in the 106th minute, when Hannah Zaluskiconnected on a cross from George and drove it past the Mizzou keeper to win the game.

UP NEXT: Tennessee faces another road match, heading to Texas A&M for an 8 p.m. ET kickoff on Friday.

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: With Zaluski's goal, 13 different Vols have scored at least one goal this season, and 13 of UT's 30 goals have been scored by players coming off the bench.

OFFENSIVELY MINDED: Through 10 games, UT has scored 30 goals, tying the total number of goals scored by Tennessee over 15 games during the 2020-21 season.

VN Store

Back