⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

IMG_3284.jpeg

Who are you all rooting for in these games?

BRACKET - QUARTERFINALS

Thursday, Aug. 10
Spain vs. Netherlands - 9 p.m. ET

Friday, Aug. 11
Japan vs. Sweden - 3.30 a.m. ET

Saturday, Aug. 12
Australia vs. France - 3 a.m. ET
England vs. Colombia - 6.30 a.m. ET

MATCH CENTRAL: Tennessee at #7 Alabama (exhibition)

IMG_3285.jpeg

The Lady Vols are headed to Tuscaloosa for the first of two pre-season exhibition matches, squaring off with the seventh-ranked Crimson Tide in an 8 p.m. ET contest at the Alabama Soccer Complex on Tuesday.

Live stats will be available online, but there will be no live video.

LAST TIME WE MET: Tennessee played Alabama during the regular season last year on Sept. 22, falling 4-2 to the eventual SEC Champs in Regal Stadium.

NEW FACES: Tennessee added 10 newcomers in its 2023 signing class. All 10 are versatile field players with six enrolling as freshmen and four arriving as transfers with multiple years of collegiate experience.

BACK AGAIN: The Lady Vols return five starters and 20 letterwinners from the 2022 team that clinched an SEC East Division title for the third straight season.

SCOUTING UA: The Crimson Tide lost 12 players and return 18 from last year's squad that went a perfect 10-0-0 in SEC play en route to a 23-3-1 overall record and a postseason run to the semifinals of the NCAA Women's College Cup.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will host Jacksonville State at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday in its final tuneup before the season begins in earnest when UT welcomes California to Rocky Top at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, Aug. 17.

Reactions: knoxvol52
View attachment 568577

Who are you all rooting for in these games?

BRACKET - QUARTERFINALS

Thursday, Aug. 10
Spain vs. Netherlands - 9 p.m. ET

Friday, Aug. 11
Japan vs. Sweden - 3.30 a.m. ET

Saturday, Aug. 12
Australia vs. France - 3 a.m. ET
England vs. Colombia - 6.30 a.m. ET
Dutch, Swedes, the Down Unders and the Brits✍️✍️✍️✍️

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Lady Vols Tie #7 Crimson Tide In Exhibition, 2-2

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- The Lady Vols overcame a two-goal deficit on the road in their first exhibition of the season on Tuesday, tying seventh-ranked Alabama in Tuscaloosa, 2-2.

Graduate transfer Samantha Agresti and redshirt-sophomore Jenna Stayart were the goal scorers for UT.

Redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara and redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz split time in the net, combining for three saves on the night.

Tennessee kept the pressure on offensively, outshooting the Crimson Tide 16-7 and taking 11 corners to UA's four.

UT got its first quality look 25 minutes in when redshirt-senior Jaida Thomas got off an open shot from 22 yards out that went wide left.

The Crimson Tide found the back of the net at the 33:54 mark when Cameron Silva crashed the net on a cross and headed it past the UT defense.

The Lady Vols dominated possession in the closing minutes of the first half with freshman Kate Runyon making her presence known up top, but the score remained 1-0 through the break.

UA scored its second goal of the match on a penalty kick five minutes into the second half. Reisz got a hand on the ball but was unable to stop a perfectly placed shot by Felicia Knox.

The Big Orange kept the pressure up in the second half, peppering the Alabama goal with five shots before finding the back of the net on a corner in the 77th minute. Freshman Linette Hofmann served it into the box and senior Lawson Renie got the initial touch before Agresti buried a header.

Six minutes later the Lady Vols struck again, this time in the form of a hard-driven shot from inside the eighteen by Stayart.

Runyon broke through the Crimson Tide defense twice in the final two minutes, putting one low and on frame and missing just wide on the second attempt as the final seconds ticked off with the game tied at two.

Interesting result for the Vols. Didn't see the game, of course--but scanning the results prompt some questions and comments.

1) Fusco apparently started but played only 1 minute. That's strange. I hope it doesn't mean that she got hurt, but hard to figure why else she'd only play one minute.

2) Katz didn't play at all---which is also curious. Nor did Dipasupil, transfer Lawton, Price, D. Brown, Klurman, D. Brown. Maybe Katz didn't play because Kirt and the coaches wanted to get a look at other players--but then why did Renie play a full 90 minutes?

3) Seems like we may have returned to a four in the back formation, with Renie and Michel (transfer from Oklahoma) as the starting centerbacks. Or maybe we're still in the 3-back with perhaps Hennessey also at centerback (if not at outside back).

4) Seems like we had G. Washington, Midgley and perhaps Stayart (in for Fusco) in the midfield. Transfer Agresti, Mitchell, Chatterton got quality minutes.

5) Seems like Nelson and Hennessey may have been our starters at outside back---or maybe Nelson and Ally Brown--with Hofmann, whom I think will be player--getting 72 minutes somewhere in the back.

6) It concerns me that Washington and Nelson were starters. I'm sure they are both great individuals and super Vols, but if they are starters this year, or get quality minutes, then I will freak out--as IMO they were examples 1 and 2 of the unwise (to be polite) personnel decisions that did not help (to be polite) last year.

7) Thomas and speedy transfer Diaz apparently started at forward, with freshmen Runyon and Greiner getting quality minutes in the second half. It sounds like Runyon--who is big and athletic and who reminds me of ex-Vol Hannah Wilkinson, made a noticeable impact late in the game. Eskin and Bartholomew also got minutes at forward.

Why Kirt is playing Eskin at forward is another mystery. She was effective as a midfielder/winger, getting qualilty minutes, 2 years ago. Then last year Kirt moved her to forward, though she didn't play much. She probably didn't play much because she is most definitely //not a forward.// She is speedy--but she's not not big enough or tall enough to be a forward. She could help us on the wing, with her speed and ball-winning capabilities; indeed, she'd be more effective than Nelson, who lacks recovery speed and simply does not move well enough to play wide. Why our coaches fail to see this--after seeing how Eskin contributed to our success two years ago playing outside--I do not know. Putting the right people in the right positions is HUGE in this sport, and Kirt, in my opinion, is again flirting with disaster. It's early, and I shouldn't make too much of the starting lineup in this first game--and an exhibition at that--but it does indicate where the coach is leaning. We shall see.

Reactions: knoxvol52 and MAD
That is b.s. ... they have England rated too high, and Netherlands too low.

Well, England just won the Euros so that probably counts for something in the betting odds,.

This tournament is really hard to handicap, since most every team has had some struggle matches, except for Japan who has rolled through everyone.

I have been betting Spain but i am starting to think Japan is the team to be beat. France is coming around too.

Semi = Japan v. Spain (I don't think Spain will get embarrassed again but will still lose.
England v. France, Le Bleu 2-1

Final Japan v. France, should be a great game but I lean Japan, no wait I lean France, no, Japan, err, France.

Well, England just won the Euros so that probably counts for something in the betting odds,.

This tournament is really hard to handicap, since most every team has had some struggle matches, except for Japan who has rolled through everyone.

I have been betting Spain but i am starting to think Japan is the team to be beat. France is coming around too.

Semi = Japan v. Spain (I don't think Spain will get embarrassed again but will still lose.
England v. France, Le Bleu 2-1

Final Japan v. France, should be a great game but I lean Japan, no wait I lean France, no, Japan, err, France.
Good points. But, I have been unimpressed with England most of the times I have seen them. I am especially less optimistic for them now that they have lost their most dynamic player James for, what, a couple of games? Mind you, I don't dislike England, just think they are bit full of themselves and overrated, much like LSU football right now. JMO.

Last edited:
Good points. But, I have been unimpressed with England most if the times I have seen them. I am especially less optimistic for them now that they have lost their most dynamic player James for, what, a couple of games? Mind you, I don't dislike England, just think they are bit full of themselves and overrated, much like LSU football right now. JMO.

No doubt losing James (for one of the dumbest red cards in history) is a huge blow. They would have been hard pressed to beat France with her and without, they have to be counting on France having a terrible game.

Last edited:
Bailey may have been the first player we ever had from Utah. She's big, and has a big leg, based on the video I saw, but I'm guessing
she just isn't athletic enough for P5 soccer. Wish her well.

Reactions: MAD and knoxvol52

VN Store

Back