⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Good first game, first win, for the Vols. A bit of an odd game: We dominated it, but our first goal probably should have been disallowed
as I'm quite sure that Runyon actually knocked the ball into the goal with her arm. She made a good run, and it was a very nice ball dropped in there by Hennessey, I think, and Runyon tried to head it--but she missed it with her head and instead her arm came forward and made contact with the ball. The Cal keeper touched her forearm and tried to tell the referee that it went in off of our player's arm--but the ref didn't see it, and apparently neither did either of the lines people/assistant referees, and so we got the goal.

It's one of the oddities of soccer that there is only one ref covering a huge field. It's crazy. If the ball is somewhere in the middle of the field, the ref will be in middle of the field; you launch a long ball down the field and something happens in the box or near the goal--as happened here--and the ref is way behind the play and often can't see what happened well enough to make the right call. America's NBA has a court about 1/6th the size of a soccer field and has 3 officials. Major-league baseball fields are smaller and they have 4 officials. Soccer: Huge field, 1 ref.

And the second goal: Hofmann with a nice crossing/centering pass into the 6-yard box, Nelson with a good run--but the ball seems to have been knocked
in the goal by a Cal defender: Own goal. It counts, unlike the first goal, but don't think Nelson actually got to it. But it's what happens when you are creating chances, which we did.

Third goal: good call by the ref on the handball by the Cal defender. Good goal by Simmonds.
Fourth goal: Very nice crossing pass by transfer mid Lawton, nice run and goal by freshman Griener.

Other thoughts:

---Cal was not very good. I expected that team to be quite a bit better---but apparently they are quite young this year, and it showed.

---No Katz tonight. She must have an injury of some kind. She is a good player, and we need her, so I hope it's not too serious. Players who did not see action: No Price,Barr, D. Brown, A. Brown, Klurman.

--Which Vol impressed me the most tonight? Easy: Transfer centerback Michel. She's a good player--moves well, reads the game well, poised, makes good, progressive passes. She was an excellent pickup. Among the other newcomers: Freshman Hofmann from Germany is a good player. Couldn't quite tell about her quickness/pace--decent, perhaps, but not super quick or fast---but intelligent, high soccer IQ, has had good youth training in Europe---good player. Another good/very good signing. Could probably be quite good as a centerback but playing outside back for us now.

----Vols who played well, IMO. I'm not a fan of Nelson as a midfielder---plays too high, but she played well tonight. We'll see how she fares against better, stronger teams. Fusco and Hennessey also stood out. Fusco seemed to be playing more as a forward or forward-lying mid. Made some good runs; might have had some goal-scoring chances but Simmonds ignored her a couple of times. I like Hennessey's physicality. We could get exposed by better, quicker midfields than Cal's--because Hennessey, Hofmann and Nelson are not terribly quick--but we'll see. Runyon looks like she's going to be a good player--good size and very athletic and competitive. Dumb foul that got her a yellow.

---Midgley with her first start. She's a good passer; reads the game well. Somewhat small and is going to get pushed off the ball quite a bit, but sees the field well and knows how to play. Transfer mid Lawton was solid---great assist on the 4th goal.

----Simmonds played as a deep-lying forward, and I thought this was not wise. In the first half she spent a lot of time in the middle of the field, trying to press, and even in our defensive half. That is not where you want a goal-scorer spending a lot of time. She should be positioned higher up the pitch, closer to goal, so that she can be used in countering opportunities. You don't want her wasting a lot of energy defending in our defensive half. This was the big problem with Huff last year: She spent way too much energy covering defensively for our weak wingbacks (hello, Nelson) and was not the offensive threat and goal-scorer that she can be and that we needed her to be. In the second half Simmonds was more forward, got the ball in the wing several times, and was more of a threat on goal. However, her decision making in the attacking third was quite selfish: She missed an open Fusco once or twice who was streaking toward the box and calling for a pass (didn't get the passes), Simmonds also ignored somebody else who was unmarked on the left and instead took a weak shot from distance. I'm sure she'll be better going forward.

---We could have played better in the attacking third. Had a lot of potential opportunities that went begging because of passes that were not made (Simmonds) or passes that were errant, or just bad decisions. Mitchell had the ball in some good attacking positions but was too diffident: Failed to take the space in front of her a couple of times.

---Too bad that we lost the shut-out on the freak goal by Cal. That was a crossing pass that was misshit and just went in the net--soccer fans see quite a few such goals. I think Reisz could have saved that shot--should have saved it--as it really went just above her close to the middle of the goal--not the far end--but she seemed to be caught flat-footed and just did not react quickly enough to tip the ball over the bar. But she'll be a good keeper for us.

---

Just saw that T. Huff scored in the 87' minute to give FSU a 2-1 win over Texas A&M. Kirt will never live down royally screwing up last season and losing
two of the best players/athletes the program as ever had.

Rain started in defense for FSU but got injured tonight, and an FSU fan is suggesting it might be an ACL. Let's hope not.

Last edited:
4 Lady Vols net goals in 4-1 season-opening win over California
Tennessee began its 2023 campaign in dominant fashion, defeating California 4-1 on Thursday.

Four different Lady Vols scored the four goals, with two freshmen scoring along with two veterans. Many players were able to get some game action, including goalkeepers Ally Zazzara and Abigail Reisz, who each spent 45 minutes between the posts.

Tennessee struck first in the 18th minute, as a free kick from just inside the halfway line was headed into the net by Kate Runyon for her first career goal on her debut.

“It is exactly what we needed from [Runyon],” head coach Joe Kirt said.

Runyon also believed her first game in Knoxville was a success.

“Scoring here for the first time was a super cool feeling,” Runyon said. “Getting to celebrate with all my teammates is the best.”

It did not take the Lady Vols long to find their second, as Maria Nelson found herself on the end of a cross from Linette Hofmann in the 24th minute. Nelson executed the finish to give Tennessee a two-goal advantage.

Early in the second half, the Lady Vols were awarded a penalty due to a foul by Cal goalkeeper Teagan Wy. Kameron Simmonds, in her return from the Women’s World Cup, converted to add to the lead.

Runyon made a second entry into the box score in the 61st minute with a yellow card due to a late challenge. Kirt believes that the tackle was a symptom of Runyon’s intensity that she brings to the game.

“She is a competitive kid who works hard on both sides of the ball,” Kirt said. “That is to be expected from her.”

The Golden Bears would not go away. In the 80th minute, Velize King drew level from a shot at a difficult angle that beat Reisz off the post.

The response from Tennessee came just two minutes later, as Sarah Greiner stretched to connect to the end of a cross from Sizzy Lawton, restoring a three-goal advantage.

The Lady Vols split their goalkeeping duties between Zazzara and Reisz. Reisz allowed the late goal to King but also recorded the only save for Tennessee.

“Both [goalkeepers] played well in moments,” Kirt said. “Ally [Zazzara] was steady back there. She made good decisions and was safe. Abby [Reisz] was good in possession. It was a little bit of a soft goal she gave up, but her decision making on the ball was really good for a redshirt freshman.”

The Lady Vol defense helped the goalkeepers play well by not allowing high-danger chances.

“Our entire back line was great,” Kirt said. “They did a phenomenal job winning entry balls, dealing with balls in behind and winning fifty-fifties. Our individual defending was great.”

One of the members of the Tennessee defense who excelled was Oklahoma transfer Sheridan Michel, who made her debut for the Lady Vols.

“There is a reason why [Sheridan] was second team all-Big 12,” Kirt said. “She can play. She knows what it is like to be in the trenches.”

One player who did not feature was star forward Jaida Thomas. Kirt wanted to take precaution with nagging injury issues and decided to keep Thomas out.

“Right now, [Thomas] is day to day with a few things,” Kirt said. “We will see where she is this weekend, but she has been a big part of our preseason and will be a big part of our team moving forward.”

The Lady Vols will make their first road trip of the season on Sunday with a contest against Lipscomb.

4 Lady Vols net goals in 4-1 season-opening win over California

IMG_3412.jpegIMG_3413.jpeg

Lady Vols Open Season With 4-1 Win Over Cal

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Lady Vols kicked off the regular season in grand fashion on Thursday, recording a 4-1 victory over Cal in Regal Stadium.

Four different Lady Vols put a ball in the net for Tennessee, with three tallying their first career goals. Freshmen Kate Runyon and Sarah Greiner and redshirt-senior Maria Nelson all carded their first collegiate goals while Kameron Simmonds rounded out the scoring.

In goal, redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara made the start, and redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz took over in the second half.

Junior Velize King was the lone goal scorer for the Golden Bears.

Right from the kickoff, the Big Orange dominated possession. The first breakthrough came in the 19th minute when Runyon got through the back line for the first goal of the season. Redshirt-junior Sydney Hennessey provided the assist, setting up Runyon's first strike of her collegiate career.

Cal countered with a shot on the other end, but just four minutes later, Nelson extended Tennessee's lead to 2-0. This time it was freshman Linette Hofmann who earned the assist, playing a ball across the middle that Nelson ran onto.

The 2-0 score would hold through the half, with UT outshooting the Golden Bears 8-3.

Ten minutes into the second half, Simmonds capitalized on a penalty kick following a handball in the box, burying the ball in the left side of the net and improving the Big Orange's advantage to 3-0.

Cal was able to put one on the board as King breached Tennessee's defense with a tricky far-post shot from near the baseline in the 79th minute.

Tennessee reclaimed a three-goal lead moments later when Greiner extended on a diving shot to drive home the final score of the night. Graduate Sizzy Lawton earned her first assist as a Lady Vol on the play, and UT went on to close out the 4-1 victory.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will head to Nashville to take on Lipscomb on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. ET.

IN SEASON OPENERS: With the win, Tennessee improves its record in season openers to 19-8-1 and moves the mark to 15-3-1 when opening the season at home.

Wow: I didn't even realize that Thomas didn't play tonight. Anybody heard what's wrong with her? Again, I hope not too serious.

One thing I noticed: a lot of heavy touches. Not good. Lots of balls bouncing 3/4 feet off the feet of players receiving passes.

Just saw that T. Huff scored in the 87' minute to give FSU a 2-1 win over Texas A&M. Kirt will never live down royally screwing up last season and losing
two of the best players/athletes the program as ever had.

Rain started in defense for FSU but got injured tonight, and an FSU fan is suggesting it might be an ACL. Let's hope not.
As much as I may not agree with some of Kirt's coaching decisions, Huff and Rainz weren't on him. Pensky poached them during the season and they simply followed the coach who recruited them.

Wow: I didn't even realize that Thomas didn't play tonight. Anybody heard what's wrong with her? Again, I hope not too serious.

One thing I noticed: a lot of heavy touches. Not good. Lots of balls bouncing 3/4 feet off the feet of players receiving passes.
She has a minor injury and should be back by the SMU game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Good first game, first win, for the Vols. A bit of an odd game: We dominated it, but our first goal probably should have been disallowed
as I'm quite sure that Runyon actually knocked the ball into the goal with her arm. She made a good run, and it was a very nice ball dropped in there by Hennessey, I think, and Runyon tried to head it--but she missed it with her head and instead her arm came forward and made contact with the ball. The Cal keeper touched her forearm and tried to tell the referee that it went in off of our player's arm--but the ref didn't see it, and apparently neither did either of the lines people/assistant referees, and so we got the goal.

---

*Lady Vols

Reactions: chuckiepoo
*Lady Vols
All but one of the Big 12 Ladies teams have taken the word Lady out from in front of their nicknames and Oklahoma State uses Cowgirls. According to some just using the last nickname as the Men's teams show equality in Sports at that institution....

VN Store

Back