⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

No. 12 UT Clinches SEC East Title With 2-0 Win Over UK

880291CA-EF89-4B91-AD2D-CF6594BC744C.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 12 Tennessee clinched an SEC East Championship on Thursday, defeating Kentucky in Regal Soccer Stadium on Senior Night, 2-0.

It's the first time UT has won SEC East titles in back-to-back seasons since winning four straight from 2002 to 2005. The win was the Vols' 15th victory of the season, setting a new program record for regular-season wins.

Senior Mackenzie George and redshirt-sophomore Jaida Thomas were the goal scorers for UT (15-2-0, 8-2-0 SEC). Senior Ashley Gabor made her first start as a Volunteer, playing the full 90 minutes and making seven saves on the night to earn the shutout.

Kentucky's (7-10-2, 1-9-0 SEC) efforts were led by Marissa Bosco and Jordyn Rhodes who combined for seven shots. In goal, Laura Nielson tallied six saves on the day.

"Winning championships and winning trophies, it's hard. It's hard to do. You've got to be good, and you've got to be consistent over a long period of time," said Tennessee head coach Brian Pensky. "To be able to go 8-2 in the league and 5-1 in the East, you've got to go do it over time, and you've got to do it every day, and you've got to show up every day, and that's what our kids did. It starts with our leaders, and it's just hats off to this team."

Before the match, UT recognized Wrenne French, Ashley Gabor, Mackenzie Ostrom, Hannah Tillett and Brooke Wilson for their accomplishments on Rocky Top in a Senior Night ceremony.

George was the first to strike, driving the ball up the center of the field before shooting from inside the 18 to put UT ahead just over seven minutes into play.

Thomas scored in the 30th minute, volleying a shot into the back of the goal off a cross from Taylor Huff.

Bosco got two first-half shots on goal for the Wildcats, but Gabor was there for the saves, and UT took a 2-0 advantage into the break.

In the second half, Tennessee managed seven shots but was unable to find the net.

The Vols nearly added a third goal in the 76th minute when Brooke Wilson ran onto a flick from Cariel Ellis to break behind the Kentucky defense to go one-on-one with the UK keeper, but Nielsen was there to scoop up the ball after a touch went just a hair too long.

Kentucky countered, outshooting UT 8-7 in the second half and putting five of those on frame, but Gabor came up with the stop each time, and Tennessee closed out the regular season with a perfect 8-0 record at home.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will enter the SEC Tournament as the No. 2 seed, playing at noon CT on Tuesday against the winner of Sunday's No. 7 vs. No. 10 matchup. The tournament is held in Orange Beach, Ala., and the matches will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

GEORGE HITTING HER STRIDE: Senior Mackenzie George has scored in three straight games, moving into fourth place in total goals with five.

TEN SHUTOUTS: With the win over Kentucky UT posted its 10th shutout of the season and inches closer to the single-season program record of 12.

BALANCED ATTACK: Jaida Thomas took the lead in total goals with her eighth of the season against Kentucky. She is one of four Vols who have scored 5+ goals on the season. Claudia Dipasupil and Taylor Huff each have seven, and Mackenzie Georgesits at five.

Beating Kentucky to close out the regular season as Eastern Division Champions is like a rich dessert after a fine meal. It's always wonderful to beat the kitties in anything and in my mind it's a bit of payback for the spanking we got from them in volleyball Wednesday night. In any event, it's very sweet!

Also great sendoff for our seniors. I'm hoping that Mac not being involved in the ceremony means she'll be back next year. I would love that!

Final thought: Both shots tonight were things of beauty and both of our girls just kicked the crap out of the ball!!! :)

On to Orange BEACH!!!

Since Arkansas lost last night, the impact of the Vanderbilt overtime loss stings just a little more. If Tennessee had even managed a draw, they would be the number 1 seed instead of the 2 seed.

Seems like every time we lose to Vandy it winds up hurting us even more than the loss alone. Yet another good reason to hate Vandy!

Reactions: Rickster and MAD
Would a championship at Orange Beach next week be worthy of a top 8 seed for this team given its accomplishments? What do you think?

I've been doing a bit of thinking about the season this morning both looking back and looking toward Orange Beach and beyond.

First, let me say that several of you probably understand that I am not a big fan of Coach Pensky. Doesn't really matter why I'm not a fan, but suffice to say this season has changed my mind a good bit about his coaching. I simply LOVE the aggressive style we've played so far this season. I'm overjoyed to see it! Keeping constant pressure on the other side has been super effective and I believe that if we are to have post-season success we MUST stick with this style of play and avoid our tendency of the past to "play not to lose."

While I do realize that a good bit of the change of style is the result of personnel, at least Coach Pensky recognized what he had and let the girls go play and have fun! I really hope we'll continue doing what we've done so far this season. If we do, I believe success will follow!

So that's my two cents worth, what say you? :)

Wow! Awards falling like the rain...and every one deserved! I am so happy for the girls and Coach P. Also, are there any awards that Taylor didn't win? ;)

Anybody want to bet that Claire winds up with a positional career like M A Vignola? She needs to be closer to the heart of the offensive action, although she is already a very good defender.

VN Store

Back