⚽️ Tennessee Lady Vols Soccer

Weren't the Lady Vols always ranked and very good previously? Haven't followed closely lately. Is that not the case now or what? Maybe since previous coach left? Any info is great.
They weren’t great under the previous coach. Had a great run in 2018 with Bunny Shaw to the elite 8. They won the SEC tournament in 21 and were expected to have a great 22. That coach pulled a Kiffin and bolted to FSU right before the season started, left the team in disarray. Most of his star players ended up joining him or leaving. This team is finally starting to find its own identity. I see a bright future. This freshman class has a lot of promise. This team has a bunch of sophomores, juniors and seniors and transfers that played on club teams together over the summer. The back line is gonna be the best it’s been in several years. Mac is great in the midfield. We have a lot of dangerous strikers. People have to understand that it’s been like a brand new team each year and somehow Joe has held it together. They are gonna surprise us. I’m excited.

I forgot to mention all the injuries the Lady Vols have had to deal with, especially last year.

It’s Lady Vol sports time in Tennessee​

Maria M. CorneliusAugust 16, 20242MCsports

Jaida-Thomas-soccer-crop-943x485.jpg

Tennessee soccer player Jaida Thomas (UT Athletics)
To borrow the iconic words of John Ward – and indeed it is football time in Tennessee – August also means the start of fall sports with the Lady Vols soccer team getting on the field first.
Last year’s team was beset with season-ending injuries to players it could least afford to lose, including Jaida Thomas, who suffered the third major knee injury of her career. Thomas had used a redshirt year as a freshman after a second ACL tear in high school forced the forward from Dallas to the sideline to fully heal to start her college career. That was followed by three stellar seasons at Tennessee as Thomas closed in on the record for most goals by a Lady Vol.
Thomas played just two games as a redshirt senior – her homecoming game against SMU in Dallas and a home match in which she scored a goal against Indiana. A torn ACL ended her 2023 season, and Thomas had a decision to make in 2024. Should she come back for the extra year the NCAA granted athletes who played during the pandemic even if meant a sixth year in college?
The answer would be yes, and she announced the news earlier this year on social media. “Thank you to everybody who showed me support this past season with my season-ending injury. The love and support shown by my coaches, teammates, family and community has truly helped me during this season of life. I’m so thankful to God for allowing me to continue to play the sport I love. With that being said, I’m excited to announce my return for the 2024 season! I have some unfinished business!”
Part of that unfinished business would be trying to become the all-time leader at Tennessee in goals scored.
Kylee Rossi, who played at Tennessee from 2004-08, is the current record holder with 43 goals. Thomas has 39 goals and needs four to tie and five to break it.
If Thomas breaks the record, it won’t be because she played a lot more games. It’s quite the opposite. The third ACL tear robbed Thomas of nearly all of her senior season. Her first college season was played amid a pandemic and included just 15 games split between the fall and spring. Rossi posted the record in 87 games. Thomas has 39 goals in 59 games. If she becomes the new record holder it will be in decidedly fewer games.
Jaida-Thomas-promo-crop-1024x525.jpg

Jaida Thomas points during promo photos at media day in 2024. (UT Athletics)
One ACL tear is brutal. Two is devastating. A third is just cruel for an athlete.
“My time being out I just learned to enjoy every moment and to take advantage of where I’m at right now,” Thomas said in August before the 2024 season started. “To just be in the Lord’s presence was something I focused on a lot. It was mentally hard for me.”
Tennessee opened the season Thursday night on the road at Indiana and fell 1-0 with seven shots on goal to 10 by the Hoosiers.
The soccer team will make its home debut this Sunday, August 18, at 6 p.m. against Chattanooga at Regal Soccer Stadium. The Lady Vols have 17 newcomers with 10 freshman and seven transfers, so print a roster or grab a program.
The 2024 SEC Preseason Watchlist includes Thomas; Mac Midgley, a junior midfielder from Wolverine Lake, Michigan; Kate Runyon, a sophomore forward from Westminster, Colorado; and Sammi Woods, a graduate student forward from Saline, Michigan, all of whom are returners.
Also of note is Nyla Blue, a freshman defender from Knoxville who won a state championship at Bearden High School and earned All-American honors. She is the daughter of Avery and Kristen Blue, and her mother, then known as Kristen “Ace” Clement, played for the late Pat Summitt from 1997-2001 and won a national title in 1998.
A lengthy story about Blue’s commitment to Tennessee in 2022 can be read HERE.

Lady Vols Fall 1-0 in Season-Opener at Indiana​

IMG_0091.jpeg
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Lady Vols suffered a 1-0 loss in their season-opener at Indiana Thursday night.

Despite having four shots on goal, Tennessee (0-1-0) was unable to find the back of the net.

Sophomore Forward Kate Runyon paced UT two shots on goal as Sammi Woods and Reese Mattern logged one apiece.

Both teams applied pressure in the first half and entered the second 45 minutes of play tied 0-0.

Indiana (1-0-0) came out of the gates in the second half and quickly registered a goal in the 50th minute via Kennedy Neighbors.

The Big Orange put up two more shots on target in half two, with Woods' coming just one minute after the Hoosiers' goal.

Runyon gave the Lady Vols their final chance of the night in the 83rd minute, but Indiana goalie Jamie Gerstenberg was able to notch the save.

Although one goal was allowed tonight, Tennessee goalkeeper Ally Zazzara recorded three saves.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols look to bounce back and will return home to host Chattanooga on Sunday in a 6 p.m. ET matchup at Regal Stadium.

Tennessee 0​

UTK - Player Stats
Pos#PlayerSHSOGGAMIN
Starters
FWD3Woods, Sammi110071
MID6Bridenstine, Sarah000066
FWD7Runyon, Kate320049
MID8Latino, Luciana000072
FWD12Mattern, Reese110067
DEF15Price, Kennedy 000088
DEF18Brown, Ally000090
MID20Midgley, Mac100064
DEF21Klurman, Leah000090
MID23Brown, Dakota000090
GK32Zazzara, Ally000090
Substitutes
fwd2Thomas, Jaida000041
mid4Howard, Hayley00008
mid5Stayart, Jenna000019
mid13Mitchell, Keaton 100036
mid17Chatterton, Jenna000011
fwd19Bluette, Kameran00002
24Boggs, Jasmine 000013
fwd27Bartholomew, Nolyn 000023
Totals7400
Tennessee - Goalie Statistics
Position#GoalieMinutesGASaves
Goalkeeping
GK32Zazzara, Ally90:0013
Totals13

New-look Tennessee soccer roster makes debut in loss to Indiana​

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Tennessee soccer’s newcomers started their careers with a loss on Thursday, falling, 1-0 to Indiana.

With just 13 players returning from last season’s NCAA Tournament team, Tennessee is still trying to come together as a team.

“I think they had moments where we were really good and organized and together, and other moments where the game got stretched,” Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt said. “We’ve got some young players out there getting their first minutes in a real game and trying to stay up to the speed of it.”

Tennessee’s lack of continuity was most evident in its limited attacking opportunities. Although the Lady Vols started well offensively, they failed to trouble Indiana’s goalkeeper, only putting four shots on target.

The Lady Vols added two transfers from Michigan during the offseason, both of whom started. Sarah Bridenstine played 66 minutes in the midfield, while Sammi Woods played 70 minutes in a forward role.

Woods put one shot on goal during the match but was present throughout as an attacking threat. Her stats would have improved had the rest of the team been able to find her the ball more.

“She puts herself in good places to receive it,” Kirt said. “It’s on us to be technically good enough to find her under pressure, and we were inconsistent technically in our execution today.”

As is the case with the entire squad, Woods is still becoming acclimated to her new team. She played with Bridenstine in Ann Arbor but hasn’t played any competitive games with the rest of the Lady Vols.

Three freshmen played for Tennessee, including Reese Mattern, who started. She recorded one shot in her 66 minutes of action while also committing a foul. Kameran Bluette and Jasmine Boggs made substitute appearances.

As the season progresses, Tennessee’s newcomers will continue to gel with each other and become more acclimated to college soccer. That process will also help Tennessee avoid giving up possession easily, which was a major issue in Thursday’s loss.

“We got a game under our belt,” Kirt said. “We did some good things, competed well in moments, but we have got to be better on the ball. We have got to take care of the ball, and we did that for a half tonight.”

One positive from Tennessee was the return of Jaida Thomas. She played for the first time in a competitive game since her season-ending injury last year.

Thomas has recovered well over the course of the offseason, but game time is important to make sure her recovery continues. She played 41 minutes against the Hoosiers and fully participated in Tennessee’s system.

“She’s still getting herself back to where she’s 100%, but it’s great to see her out there,” Kirt said. “She’s got the ability to finish and is just getting back up to game speed.”

Thomas never was given good goal-scoring chances on Thursday, which is where she thrives. When teammates are unable to provide her with opportunities, she often struggles.

The Lady Vols return to Regal Soccer Stadium on Sunday for their home opener against Chattanooga. In that contest, Tennessee needs to improve in possession to avoid a second loss.

“We’ve got to continue to be us and continue to be able to execute,” Kirt said. “I think we missed chances to execute tonight. We’ve got to continue to be ourselves in our identity and take care of the ball.”

Tennessee soccer drops season opener to Indiana​

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Tennessee soccer began its season with a loss on Thursday, falling 1-0 to Indiana.

After a cagey first half, Indiana (1-0-0) broke through in the 50th minute with the opening goal of the game. The Lady Vols (0-1-0) could never catch up as the Hoosiers dominated the second half.

Despite pushing players forward, Tennessee’s attack didn’t generate much. The Lady Vols registered seven shots, putting four on goal.

Here are some takeaways from the loss.

Lady Vols start season slow offensively

Tennessee got plenty of the ball in the first half but could not generate much offense. The Lady Vols finished the first 45 minutes with four shots, two of which hit the target.

Sammi Woods started her Lady Vols career with a yellow card early in the half, but she participated heavily in Tennessee’s buildup from the midfield. Kate Runyon recorded two shots in the opening half and was a key member of the attack.

In goal, Ally Zazzara saved the only shot on target she faced from the Hoosier attack.

Newcomers make debut

Tennessee welcomed 16 new players to its roster this season, only returning 13 players from last year’s NCAA Tournament team.

Four new players started for the Lady Vols in the season opener. Woods joined fellow Michigan transfer Sarah Bridenstine in the starting lineup. Former Penn State midfielder Luciana Latino also got the nod, while Reese Mattern made her college debut in Thursday’s game. Mattern put one shot on goal for the Lady Vols.

Tennessee defense falters in second half

Shortly after halftime, Indiana became more aggressive offensively. The Hoosiers put the ball into the box and Tennessee couldn’t clear, allowing Kennedy Neighbors to get a shot away. Zazzara couldn’t make the save, and Indiana took the lead.

Shortly thereafter, Indiana created another strong chance, forcing Zazzara to make her second save of the game. The Hoosiers continued to go forward throughout the second period, but the Lady Vols were able to deal with the pressure.

Jaida Thomas returns

After a season-ending injury last season, Jaida Thomas opened her season off the bench on Thursday. She made an immediate impact, winning a corner kick in her first few seconds of action.

The redshirt senior played 41 minutes for Tennessee and played in both halves. Thomas didn’t record a shot but still contributed to Tennessee’s play.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
LVFL Shae Yanez and her new club Crystal Palace FC will face Utah Royals tonight in an exhibition match at 9 pm.

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpegIMG_0093.jpeg

Link for the match👇

Reactions: knoxvol52
Congrats to LVFL Katie Cousins and Valur on winning the Icelandic Cup 2-1 over Breiðabliki (Don’t try announcing that it will hurt your head)

IMG_0098.jpeg
IMG_0100.jpegIMG_0101.jpegIMG_0102.jpegIMG_0099.jpeg

Cousins had an assist on each goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52

MATCH CENTRAL: Tennessee vs. Chattanooga​

IMG_0111.jpeg
The Lady Vols are set to kick off against Chattanooga in their home-opener at 6 p.m. ET Sunday night at Regal Stadium.

Tennessee (0-1-0) looks to bounce back after a tough 1-0 loss in their season opener at Indiana.

The Lady Vols suffered a 1-0 loss in their season-opener at Indiana Thursday night.
The Big Orange look to get the offense going as they posted just four shots on goal last match.

Admission is free for all preseason and regular-season soccer matches. For fans planning to attend, note that Tennessee's clear bag policy will be in effect again this season.

GAME PROMOTIONS:
  • Giveaway: 1,000 Shakers (team posters are being printed also)
  • LIVE anthem: Jay Teeter
  • Concessions Promotion: $1 Hotdogs
  • Food Trucks (2): Smiths Endzone/Irvey's Ice Cream
SCOUTING UTC: Chattanooga (0-0-1) registered a 2-2 draw in their season-opener at Georgia State. The Mocs return 13 from the 2023 squad and add seven freshmen and six transfers. Clarissa Salinas was named to the Southern Conference preseason team. Caroline Richvalsky, the Mocs leading goal scorer from last season returns for her junior campaign along with keeper Caroline Ekern.

MATCHUP HISTORY: Tennessee is 6-0 in its all-time matchups against Chattanooga. In its meetings, UT has outscored the Mocs 37-1 and averages 6.17 goals per game.

TRACKING THOMAS: Thomas, who enters her final season on Rocky Top, currently ranks second on Tennessee's all-time goals list with 39 and sits just four back of Kylee Rossi's program-best 43. The three-time All-SEC player and 2021 All-American appeared in just two matches last season before suffering a season-ending injury. During the 2022 season, Thomas scored 13 goals and posted the best goals-per-game average in the SEC at .68.

SEC PRESEASON HONORS: Four Lady Vols were named to the 2024 SEC Preseason Watchlist, as announced by the conference Wednesday. Jaida Thomas, Mac Midgley, Sammi Woods and Kate Runyon were all tabbed as players to watch this season.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will head on the road to face another in-state foe and are set to take on ETSU in a 6 p.m. contest Thursday night.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back