#1 Offensive Line in the SEC (ESPN)

He's big but I haven't seen anything to indicate he is a Henderson or haynesworth type talent.

He's got one more year to prove it to NFL scouts. Last year he was rushed to lose weight and condition plus it was his first year of SEC play. He should be much better conditioned and now has 1 year of starting experience under his belt. It's kinda like his last contract year, his play this year could result in millions of dollars more each year.

i hope their skill sets and experience working together translates well to CBJ's O scheme.

If we can pound the ball might be boring to watch sometimes but will keep us in a lot of games some we might win. I think we will certainly use that strategy in the SEC hopefully we'll be successful. I can see seven wins maybe eight could go the other way also. We should win over Auburn at home, Kentucky, Vandy at home, and Missouri. Steal another conference win some how will be considered a successful season.

He's big but I haven't seen anything to indicate he is a Henderson or haynesworth type talent.

McCullers progressed last year. Watch some film from early last fall then watch some later games. He will be a daunting force in the SEC this year.

If we can pound the ball might be boring to watch sometimes but will keep us in a lot of games some we might win. I think we will certainly use that strategy in the SEC hopefully we'll be successful. I can see seven wins maybe eight could go the other way also. We should win over Auburn at home, Kentucky, Vandy at home, and Missouri. Steal another conference win some how will be considered a successful season.

2012 UF team agrees with this.

Our RBs are slow and get tripped up. Combine that with inexperience at WR and TE and defenses are putting eight in the box. Unfortunate. Don't get your hopes up folks. Gonna be a long year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Acknowledged that games are won in the trenches... acknowledged that Jones appears to be a better game coach than Dooley... yet many here think UT will be "lucky" to match Dooley's first year results.

I hope the OL is this good and produces 2 1000 yd rushers.

Yes, coaching will undoubtedly be improved--there's almost no where to go but up.

Yes, the guys have bought in. Plus they are one year stronger, faster, etc.

Yes, both starting lines are talented.

But... I think a Dooley-Esque W-L record (not Dooley-esque football) is reasonably expected because:

-- Almost zero experience at the most important position on the field... QB.

-- The same defensive personnel that produced the worst defense in UT history. DL starters look good, but depth should be a concern everywhere on defense.

-- No proven playmakers. Anywhere.

-- Installing new systems on both sides of the ball.

-- Typical rigorous SEC schedule along with a game in Autzen, albeit against an Oregon program influx.

Jones has made all the right moves thus far, but several years of mediocre recruiting and flat out misses on the trail are bound to rear their ugly heads at some point over the next couple seasons.

I really don't mean to rain on parades or urinate in morning bowls of Cherios; nor do I mean to single your post out because I honestly have no idea what your beliefs are. I simply encourage tempered expectations.

Personally I hope Jones overachieves, like his coaching history suggests he can, and grinds the competition into a beautiful oblivion. I just think it may take some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
IMO you're going to see a 7, 8 win team on the field. I think the coaches will be a big difference.

Our RBs are slow and get tripped up. Combine that with inexperience at WR and TE and defenses are putting eight in the box. Unfortunate. Don't get your hopes up folks. Gonna be a long year.
so glad you could post! I look forward to it every time.

/sarcasm

Reactions: 3 people
Suddenly everyone's expectation went up...

It's bc of Jones' work off the field, imo. And the natural feeling of wanting to be optimistic about the team.

Evlerything is going great; why shouldn't we win 8-9?

But then, reality hits.

I'm expecting Croom and North to provide a real surprise at WR and a lot of plays designed to move the chains. We'll run first and we'll have a lot of plays to beat eight in the box run stopping defenses. Were still short on talent of several teams we play but I think we'll be in a lot of games which could be decided in the last quarter.

Who is slow certainly not Neal who has WR speed has played there. Lane is fast as well. Alden is a little slow but he is a pounder you need on of those at RB.

Win or lose, one thing is for certain at this point. What we witness on both Offense and Defense is going to be completely different this year vs last.

No more sprint draw offense. A zone blocking scheme. No more Kirby Smartt wannabe 3-4 defense directed by what IMO was the worst coordinator in the history of UT football. But rather a more familiar 4-3.

It's really hard to predict Tennessee this year IMO. Oregon has a new coach too, but with them they are trying business as usual. We could have had less change by moving the team to Cleveland, TN and changed team colors to green & gold.

One thing I like about this season is that this new staff are proven winners and have been a coherent unit for some time now. With what looked to be decent talent on D before last season, now with more experience and a familiar / proven scheme / coaching, I'm optimistic about our D. The offense obviously has that killer line and decent RBs. But without a lot of experience at other positions (except Dallas / Howard), the offense has me with little idea.

My guess is that we'll focus on running between tackles, using a spread scheme with our speed (Howard / Young), and sprinkle in the passes to keep Ds honest (ala Tee Martin 1998) and until our QB settles in. Hard to see our O as productive as last years, although maybe they can control the clock a bit more.

Excited to see us this season, but cautiously optimistic at the moment.

There are many things one could knock Neal for, but speed is not one of them. He had arguably the best straight line speed on the team last season.

It was just never seen because, for one reason or another, Neal didn't bust any big runs last season and get to show off his speed.

Neal is definitely the type of guy who will show out in a combine/pro day type setting come February.

VN Store

Back