'15 GA DT Quay Picou (UT Signee 2/4/15)

“Everything’s good to go. I’m here now,” said Picou, a three-star prospect from Buford (Ga.) High School.

“Honestly, it’s a relief. A lot of people go through some bumps in the road, hurdles and things of that nature. But eventually you’re either going to let the hurdle stand in your way or you’re going to jump over it. It just happened to be a hurdle I handled. I’m over it and now I’m here in Knoxville, and I’m going to make the best of my time.”

The 6-foot-2, 275-pound Picou said he wasn’t able to enroll in time for the first or second session of summer classes at Tennessee because of “an academic misunderstanding with a class that I needed to be eligible.”

He said he took the class he needed this summer, and he recently was assured that the issues that prevented him from joining the Vols sooner are “all taken care of now.”

“I finished up my classes and got the OK from the coaches and all that good stuff, and I packed my bags up and I was on the road. I just had to finish up what I had to finish up to get there,” said Picou, who was ranked the nation’s No. 491 overall prospect and No. 30 defensive tackle in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class.

“At the beginning, I kind of was (worried). I was a little unsure. But as time when on, talking to the coaches, I really just began to gain confidence back within myself. I knew I was going to be here. I just didn’t know when.

“It’s a blessing to be here. Everybody’s real excited and getting me caught up on things.”

-Callahan, 247
DT Picou arrives at Tennessee

Reactions: 13 people
Wow! Huge props to the entire football program! Does everyone realize that they had every single kid that signed academically eligible in the last 2 classes? Unheard of, especially as large as those classes were. Only 2 ACT scores flagged that prevented 100% enrolled.

Following up on the story on Tennessee defensive tackle signee Quay Picou that we published this morning, while Picou obviously seemed confident during my discussion with him about his chances of being able to participate in preseason practice right away now that he's on campus, a couple of sources have indicated to me that the Vols still are waiting for him to be cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Picou just recently finished up some of his remaining academic requirements that prevented him from enrolling earlier this summer, and things obviously don't go through the NCAA Eligibility Center immediately in many cases, so it's tough to say how long he might have to wait to be cleared.

The good news for Picou is that Tennessee obviously felt good enough about his situation to go ahead and get him on campus. But he still might have to wait at least a little bit longer to actually get on the practice field.

I stressed this morning in the Picou story thread that the fact that he was on campus didn't necessarily mean he was out of the woods, and it looks like that's definitely the case. The people I've spoken with have expressed optimism about Picou's chances of being cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center, but it looks like there's a very real chance he won't be able to participate in tomorrow's opening practice while he awaits the necessary clearance from the NCAA.

"Not so fast my friend"

why do we always seem to be the ones to get screwed by the NCAA? while programs like Bama can clear anyone they want.

why do we always seem to be the ones to get screwed by the NCAA? while programs like Bama can clear anyone they want.

Because the eligibility center has Bama on speed dial and vice versa. We have to take a number and wait. Makes me want to puke.

VN Store

Back