'18 TN OT Ryan Winkel

Antonutti will not be a serviceable OL except blocking TE.

Lane is still small for SEC starter.

Johnson might work out.

Carvin is good size but is he ready to start ?

They need bodies and SEC ready folks that really aren't still available at this point.

and not signing one more guy, that is himself a bit of a project and won't compete immediately for PT, wont' change that.

there's needs, and then impact players.

we need OL, all agree.

but if you can get 3+ guys in this class that can make an impact and possibly be difference makers, despite some of the needs...............you take them.

playmakers make plays. they're going to build both sides of the LOS, no question. it is just not all gonna happen this cycle. they did good get getting 4 OL on ESD. and Valentin would have been on board, he'd of been a take. 2 of the 4 will probably see the field this season.

it is what it is at this point....and they can probably win faster next year by beefing up defense, than they can on offense.

Reactions: 1 person
Antonutti will not be a serviceable OL except blocking TE.

Lane is still small for SEC starter.

Johnson might work out.

Carvin is good size but is he ready to start ?

They need bodies and SEC ready folks that really aren't still available at this point.

There was a post in I believe Lane's thread that said he was 6'5" 310, that's not small. That's bigger than than most of our current lineman.

how do you know how all these 17-18 yr old kids will develop? got the lottery numbers?

Haha, I agree with you, nobody knows, main thing is gotta hope the new strength coach is good. That's a big part of it. Good strength coach will turn these guys into machines

Winkel might have a lot of upside. Wonder what the coaches think about him. They obviously are interested.

Winkel has other SEC options and is has more upside than any OL we have signed.

Last night you're posting that little known DT Jordan Miller is a better prospect than the 5 star All American we're hosting, Nesta Silvera.

Now you're suggesting Winkel is a better prospect than anyone we have signed?

Not trying to be a dick but whats the story here? Are you really breaking down film on all these guys and suggesting multiple scouting services have it all wrong - in some instances drastically? Or are you just a champion for the little guy/underdog?

Last edited:
I ran into someone this week in my business that volunteers as a coach at CBHS. I didn't really know him, but we were talking about football, and he said what he did. I mentioned I was a UT grad, and he said Winkel is a really good kid. Says he has the frame to add 30 pounds. He said he probably won't be a LT in college but could be a RT or guard.

He said Norton really likes UGA and has developed a nice relationship with their DL coach. He also likes OSU, and it sounded like Alabama had just offered.

Last night you're posting that little known DT Jordan Miller is a better prospect than the 5 star All American we're hosting, Nesta Silvera.

Not trying to be a dick but whats the story here? Are you really breaking down film on all these guys and suggesting multiple scouting services have it all wrong - in some instances drastically? Or are you just a champion for the little guy/underdog?

If I am remembering correctly, I believe griddie knows football. I can't recall exactly what he does.

I ran into someone this week in my business that volunteers as a coach at CBHS. I didn't really know him, but we were talking about football, and he said what he did. I mentioned I was a UT grad, and he said Winkel is a really good kid. Says he has the frame to add 30 pounds. He said he probably won't be a LT in college but could be a RT or guard.

He said Norton really likes UGA and has developed a nice relationship with their DL coach. He also likes OSU, and it sounded like Alabama had just offered.

I'll be that guy. Who is Norton?

I feel like if the coaches look halfway competent this coming season we will begin to get a lot more looks from kids who may be leaning other ways at this time.

I’m suggesting that I think Winkel is a better OL prospect than anyone we have signed. He has a great frame, is mobile, has good bend, is highly intelligent and understands the game including leverage, angles, stepping with the correct foot, has a strong punch and violent hands, at 6’7, 300 pounds has no bad weight and could play at 330, has a huge mean streak which is often missing in big kids, and who has a dad who played in the NFL. So yes, I’m disagreeing and saying he is a better prospect and we should take him.

Miller, imo, is a better prospect than Silveria. He’s bigger at 6’4, 308, has great explosion off the ball, is mobile enough to scrape and pursue down the line of scrimmage, is as strong as a bull, and a better fit for the 3-4. That’s my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I like Silveria. But I think Miller could be better if he works hard and reaches his potential

Reactions: 5 people
Why would this kid who has SEC offers even consider blue shirting lol. The kids a heck of a prospect. No some reach like some guys in recent years

Reactions: 2 people
I’m suggesting that I think Winkel is a better OL prospect than anyone we have signed. He has a great frame, is mobile, has good bend, is highly intelligent and understands the game including leverage, angles, stepping with the correct foot, has a strong punch and violent hands, at 6’7, 300 pounds has no bad weight and could play at 330, has a huge mean streak which is often missing in big kids, and who has a dad who played in the NFL. So yes, I’m disagreeing and saying he is a better prospect and we should take him.

Miller, imo, is a better prospect than Silveria. He’s bigger at 6’4, 308, has great explosion off the ball, is mobile enough to scrape and pursue down the line of scrimmage, is as strong as a bull, and a better fit for the 3-4. That’s my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I like Silveria. But I think Miller could be better if he works hard and reaches his potential

You sound like you know what you are talking about. I like the Knoxville connection and mean streak.

Rock and roll express we’re legends

Met Ricky Morton back stage at a Jackyl concert. TV makes those guys look a lot bigger.. I'm 5'10" and he was at least two inches shorter than me..

VN Store

Back