2000 OU Captains Heupel and Hammons

Don't believe OU is giving up on Venables yet. IF he gets his QB straightened out and gets the O-line healthy they will be a stronger team. They have a lot of injuries on offense and need to decide on a QB. Hawkins was pretty wide eyed when he came in, but settled down after a few drives. He looks like the future for OU. I could see them going 8-4.
Yea, his defense will always be stout and I’m sure they will figure out the offense. They are hampered by a weak OL but in today’s world they could get some help from the portal and be a top 5 program next year.

Both were fired at the next school and never achieved success.
Tennessee is not a stepping stone job. Coaches don’t leave, they get fired. That’s why it was so shocking when Kiffin bolted.
But you could say he is successful now and has achieved success. I bet he wishes he had never left.

The way I understand this, Chris Hammons promised CJH's mom that he would be on the TN sidelines to support CJH in Norman before she passed away (in May I believe).... some douchebag analyst that works for the official sooner sports broadcast team called him out for his support.

Gabe isn't just an analyst, but a former player. He is pretty solid in his analysis most of the time. His podcast, oklahoma breakdown, is with Teddy Lehman another OU All American. Gabe is really smart, but obviously that doesn't always mean common sense.

I don't agree with Gabe on the Hammons thing at all, nor would any real OU fan who knows the story. I don't know if he made his stink before or after Hammons told him why he did it, but it's just a game. Cindy Heupel was like Josh, Oklahoma Royalty. Always loved and always welcome.

From Wikipedia:

After redshirting in 2009, Ikard would become the starting left guard for Oklahoma in the final 12 games of the 2010 season, while appearing in all 14. In 2011, he started the first three games at left guard before sliding over to center for seven games due to an injury, then returning to left guard for the final three games of the season. He was named a third-team All-American by the Associated Press and first-team All-Big 12. In 2012, he played in 12 games, starting all 12 at center, while earning first-team All-Big 12 honors once again. In his final season in 2013, he started all 13 games while being named first-team All-Big 12 for the third consecutive season.

During his tenure, he was named an Academic All-American three times, and was named the Academic All-American of the Year in 2013.[2]

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Don't believe OU is giving up on Venables yet. IF he gets his QB straightened out and gets the O-line healthy they will be a stronger team. They have a lot of injuries on offense and need to decide on a QB. Hawkins was pretty wide eyed when he came in, but settled down after a few drives. He looks like the future for OU. I could see them going 8-4.
He beat Texas last year. I think that bought him some time unless they drop a ton of games this year.

What? Lane has clearly been successful at Ole Miss.
Depends on your definition of success. No doubt he’s winning at Ole Miss. You could say though Ole Miss isn’t the job Tennessee is. Lane traded Tennessee for USC and has hopped around in lesser profile jobs since then. I mean there’s no arguing his record is impressive at Ole Miss but he hasn’t won a conference title, hasn’t made the playoffs to this point although he may this year.

Reactions: onevol74
Both were fired at the next school and never achieved success.

Okay, to say Lane Kiffin has not achieved success is ludicrous. He has Ole Miss (Ole Miss!) perennially in the Top 10.

Now, I’d rather have Heupel, but Kiffin is a good coach.

Tennessee is not a stepping stone job. Coaches don’t leave, they get fired. That’s why it was so shocking when Kiffin bolted.
But you could say he is successful now and has achieved success. I bet he wishes he had never left.

I think it’s obvious that he regrets that decision. And he should.

Reactions: MAD
Let’s look at you original post:

Now, just admit you were wrong and let’s move on.
No, he was left on the tarmac at USC. 13 years later you can say he is a good coach. I never said he was a bad coach to begin with even though at the time I questioned his abilities in losses to UCLA, Ole Miss, and VT. He was pretty poor in all 3 of those games.

Well, Lane Kiffin is doing well.
He is currently. Fired at USC, fired at Bama, bounced around a bit before landing at OM and being successful. He went from one the highest paid coaches in the country with the highest paid staff in the country to eventually land at OM. Ole Miss is a good job but if you ask 100 coaches which is the higher profile job between it and Tennessee about 90% are going to say Tennessee.

Kiffin went from a promising young coach at a high profile program to a middle of the road program at OM.

Reactions: Volfan1000
His third job after leaving UT. Fifteen years later Doug Dickey became a successful AD at UT also but he got fired at Florida.

He was fired at USC.
USC - fired on the tarmac
gumps oc - went to FIU or FAU or some combo thereof
F _ U went to the sip

So I have lame at his 4th stop (unless you are just counting head coach positions)

Reactions: onevol74
The way I understand this, Chris Hammons promised CJH's mom that he would be on the TN sidelines to support CJH in Norman before she passed away (in May I believe).... some douchebag analyst that works for the official sooner sports broadcast team called him out for his support.

This story was in today's KNS and said that Oklahoma fans were angry and confused about Hammonds wearing orange gear on the Tennessee sideline.

VN Store

Back