2005 National Championship

Who will be possible contenders for the 2005 National Title

• Total voters
somebody actually picked 'bama :yikes: :dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol:

I suspect the UT LSU game will have a huge impact on the MNC next year. OTOH, that assumes our QBs mature, our OL improves and stays healthy and our DBs learn to cover. We do have substantial potential for the next few years.

Attachments

• sy41.jpg
    sy41.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
USC and Oklahoma will probably be ranked 1&2 preseason and have a leg up like they did this yr, if Au had been ranked higher earlier things might have turned out different....last yr hurt them by being ranked too high early and losing probably influenced thier ranking this yr.... again I say no ranking if we are going to use this BS system before 4th or 5th week of the season

I think CPF really needs to take a hard look at the defense...is Chavis the man to coordinate the talent on the roster?...if so...lets see the gameplan....if not personal loyalties shouldnt overide the needs of the team to have a competant defensive coordinator....and that goes for assistants all over the staff. I dont know is Chavis is too old school and set in his ways to make the changes necessary or for that matter find and fix the reason for unnacceptable fundamental tackling. Yards after 1st contact killed us this year. remember these athletes on defense arent some kid in hs learing tackling on a friday night....these are the cream of the crop of hs athletes...so why are they needing to be taught this concept at the college level?...Im guessing lack of procedural discipline....and I blame Chavis directly for that. :twocents:

Haven't really seen anybody attack Chavis since the mid-1990s. He's basically been replacing NFL-calibre players AND being successful year-after-year. He's replaced the entire defensive front successfully 2 years in a row .... However, key injuries in addition to 4 DBs being lost to the NFL made this year probably more difficult than others. True the talent is there... but raw and inexperienced. And remember the defense carried this team during the middle part of the season. I expect Chavis to put together another solid defense next season. There is only 1 starter that will be lost off the unit... Burnett.... and Simon is coming back next year to pick up where Burnett left off.

I think USC will be in exactly the same position this year as next.

Regarding returning players... Reggie Bush and Lendale White are both sophomores. Their rushing game stays. They've got barely any WR's leaving, and have the deepest roster for that position in the country, IMO. The offensive line is pretty young, as well, I think. The defense should be the same, but in any event, it's coached by Pete Carroll who is an amazing coach. The biggest question is Matt Leinart. He was looking at a possible NFL draft... But after his lackluster performance against USC's biggest rival, UCLA, that may have taken away his Heisman and given it to Jason White who played amazing against Colorado. I think Leinart will be motivated enough to come back for his senior year and work for the Heisman.

I think Oklahoma next year will look very much like Texas this year. Incredible, explosive running game, pretty solid defense but not too much of a passing offense. They could still well make the MNC, though. Wherever they go, Adrian Peterson will be carrying them there.

It's definitley possible that the Vols could make a BCS game next year. But we have much to improve on. If we can secure the offensive line, get Ainge to learn the offensive scheme inside and out, and maintain our defensive pressure while getting the d backs to a respectable level, we could very well make the Sugar Bowl.

I find it amazing that you have Alabama listed as it will be really hard to win the SEC West next year! Obviously Oklahoma and USC will be around, I think the Vols will be settled next year and will make a run!!

With our schedule next year, I just don't see us making it. We've got some brutal road trips.

Look what we did this year! We beat Georgia on the road! They were our second toughest opponnent all year, and while overrated, still very good.

Not saying we won't win these games, just pointing out how tough the schedule is. We've got to play at LSU and at Florida before September is even over. That's a tough way to start the season.

Does anybody have a good idea of how LSU is shaping up?

I think Florida could very well be our toughest game all year next year

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 9, 2004 10:56 PM
I think Florida could very well be our toughest game all year next year

Not with a new coach after an 4 or even 5-loss season. LSU will be the toughest game. :twocents:

Florida can still make the case possibly. It will be one of those two games. But if Meyer lives up to his hype, he will have an extremley talented QB running complicated offensive schemes and passing all over our backfield. If the backfield doesn't improve big, it's a very real possibility we might well lose that game.

Originally posted by IRISHVolunteer@Dec 9, 2004 10:07 PM
I find it amazing that you have Alabama listed as it will be really hard to win the SEC West next year! Obviously Oklahoma and USC will be around, I think the Vols will be settled next year and will make a run!!

i think your majorly under estimating alabama. Had they had brodie croyle this year i think they wouldve been a national contender and almost def in a bcs bowl. i dont know what theyll lose this upcoming year but if they dont lose to much they definately could contend for a bcs bowl if not a sec and national title

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 10, 2004 10:05 AM
Florida can still make the case possibly. It will be one of those two games. But if Meyer lives up to his hype, he will have an extremley talented QB running complicated offensive schemes and passing all over our backfield. If the backfield doesn't improve big, it's a very real possibility we might well lose that game.

That is the point, "he will have an extremley talented QB running complicated offensive schemes" Leak will have to learn a new offense with "complicated offensive schemes" .... remember talent and intelligence are 2 separate things.... and so far in 2 seasons, with Florida already leading the SEC in total offense, he's done no better than 8-5 and 7-4. And people seem to forget that Meyer has to have a defense too. And if you really think that Tennessee's defense is that bad.... statistically, Florida is barely ahead of the Vols (were behind them prior to the SECCG). Florida gives up 351.8 ypg and Tennessee gives up 359.6 ypg. Tennessee gave up 38 points to #3 Auburn...... Florida gave up 38 points to Mississippi State :yikes:

With the returning players on offense that Tennessee will have next year, I think Meyer will be lucky to hold the Vols under 40. Just my :twocents:

Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7+Dec 10, 2004 11:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (7IlikeOrange7 @ Dec 10, 2004 11:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-IRISHVolunteer@Dec 9, 2004 10:07 PM
I find it amazing that you have Alabama listed as it will be really hard to win the SEC West next year&#33; Obviously Oklahoma and USC will be around, I think the Vols will be settled next year and will make a run&#33;&#33;

i think your majorly under estimating alabama. Had they had brodie croyle this year i think they wouldve been a national contender and almost def in a bcs bowl. i dont know what theyll lose this upcoming year but if they dont lose to much they definately could contend for a bcs bowl if not a sec and national title [/quote]
With all due respect . . . I think you&#39;re off your rocker on this one.

I dont believe BAMA will be there. The other 3 will definitely be there.

This UT team, this YOUNG UT team has adapted very well to pressure situations and learning how to win games (come from behind especially). Look for the VOL to be in the mix for the next few years. And with what I see as a solid (if not impeccable) recruiting class coming in, it may be a few years before we have to "rebuild".

Bama will not even win the WEST let alone The SEC or NCAA.
LSU will be the class of the WEST next year.

Arkansas is the shock of the west next year. USC the East. And USC to be in the hunt for the NC.

Come on...USC will be far from contending for the East next year. 2006 maybe

VN Store

Back