2005 National Championship

Who will be possible contenders for the 2005 National Title

• Total voters
GAVol kinda has a point with Bama... If their offense really did have even a lick of competence this year, their team would be a very different story.

That's still a solid season, with just those losses.

They could have even stood a chance against Auburn :yikes:

I wouldnt be surprised to See Ohio State make another title run next year, they finally clicked at the end of the season on offense and won't be losing any players on that side of the ball.

They'll probably be a top 15, but I'd hold off on saying top 10, much less MNC contender

The only team I think who has a solid shot at the MNC next year is SoCal.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 11, 2004 3:30 PM
They'll probably be a top 15, but I'd hold off on saying top 10, much less MNC contender

The only team I think who has a solid shot at the MNC next year is SoCal.

OSU is gonna be a lot tougher next year, Ted Ginn is a stud and once Troy Smith got comfortable at QB, their offense picked up big time. All are returning except for their TE I believe, so they should be good there.

OSU's D is only losing Simon Fraser, Dustin Fox and possibly A.J. Hawk if he declares early which he might cause he's a 1st-2nd round talent right now.

They should turn some heads this upcoming year, they were severely overrated this year to start the season(boy I wasnt happy to see them ranked ahead of the Vols in the preseason), but they'll be a top 10 team this year.

OSU still has internal problems and NCAA problems to get straight. No telling how it'll effect them.

Originally posted by U-T@Dec 11, 2004 2:20 AM
Come on...USC will be far from contending for the East next year. 2006 maybe

I agree, South Carolina will need to find a quarterback for Spurrier's system and that can put up with Spurrier's attitude. But even before that, Spurrier will need to establish that system with the players that are there. It will take a couple of season's before they are Championship caliber.

Arkansas has to replace a good quarterback. They may surprise, but I don't know if they contend for the West unless no other team in the West rises to the challenge.... ie, if LSU plays like they did this year and Auburn drops down due to loss of talent.

Originally posted by milohimself@Dec 11, 2004 1:41 PM
That's still a solid season, with just those losses.

They could have even stood a chance against Auburn :yikes:

Well you know I have something to say about the Bama pick.

A 9 - 2 regular season evidently is only worth a 15 ranking in the AP and coaches poll. :p

Before we go overboard with a mythical Brodie-led Bama; remember they won 6 games with their biggest win coming against Southern Miss! Brodie would have helped but I contend their running game would not have developed to the same extent had Brodie stayed healthy (a major question in and of itself). Their D was very good but due to their running, every game was shortened thus helping their scoring D numbers. Under a Brodie-led offensive, the opposing team would get more touches due to less time consumption by Bama (whether scoring or not). I repeat, Bama's wins came against: Utah St., Western Carolina (1-AA), Southern Miss, UK, Ole Miss and Miss St. Southern Miss is the cream of that crop.

UA has many strong returners but loses some key players as well. In particular, their O-line was very strong but they lose some players there. Auburn will be as or more talented than UA. Of course, LSU is will be strong as well.

As for our chances, I have to agree with GaVol. The schedule just doesn't set up well for us.

Some other teams to consider: Michigan - their QB and RB were both freshman this year. They lose Brayton Edwards(?) but should return or reload everywhere else. Always have to watch Miami. Not sure where Texas stands but they have been close consistently. Of course, UF will have to be considered a contender. They have talent galore and the best QB in the SEC. If Urban is the real deal, I put them in the top 3.

Originally posted by allvol+Dec 13, 2004 10:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol &#064; Dec 13, 2004 10:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-U&#045;T@Dec 11, 2004 2:20 AM
Come on...USC will be far from contending for the East next year. 2006 maybe

I agree, South Carolina will need to find a quarterback for Spurrier&#39;s system and that can put up with Spurrier&#39;s attitude. But even before that, Spurrier will need to establish that system with the players that are there. It will take a couple of season&#39;s before they are Championship caliber.

[/quote]
Remember in Spurrier&#39;s early years at UF, we did quite well against them. Early on it was a real home and home type game - we&#39;d beat the crap out of them at Neyland and they returned the favor at the Swamp.

I remember when Dale Carter (Mr. Excitement - everytime he was in on a play it was either very good or very bad) took one back all the way and we romped 45 - something in the single digits. It was either the opening kick off in the 2nd half or end of the first half.

Anyway, I agree that it will take a few years before we get the full "visor-effect"

VN Store

Back