2012 Australian Open Thread - (Unofficial in honor of KB)

I saw a bit of Rafa earlier. He looked fine. Looked like he was moving well. He has Feliciano Lopez next, who he shouldn't have much trouble with. Federer has (I think) Tomic next, but it could be that he has the winner of Tomic and somebody else.

Djoker is rolling. Anything can happen in tennis, but Djoker appears to still be at peak form.

I'm rooting for Wozniacki on the women's side. She needs to get a major under her belt.

Nadal does have Lopez next. Then, likely Berdych. I have Berdych winning that one in my bracket, but wish I could change that now. I have only seen a short bit of Djoke this tourney, but he does look good. I am hoping to see him play Raonic. That could be a very good match. Raonic is improving, and he's a big ole boy with a big game now.
I think Wozniacki has her work cut out for her if she's gonna win this one. Jankovich, Clijsters/Li, Azarenka/Radwanska, Kvitova/Williams is a tall hill to climb.

Last edited:
That Tomic/Dolgopolov match was great. I hate seeing Alex go out. He is like Guga meets Santoro. Would have loved to see Dolgopolov play Fed, even if Roger would have made short work of him.

Last edited:
The AO really begins tonight. For the first time, the top seeds are going to face some competition. I see all the top seeds prevailing, but you never know.

Rafa/Lopez should be a good match, but expect Nadal to win in four. Lopez has beaten Nadal recently (was it on grass?), and should play well at the beginning. Nadal isn't going to lose to a fellow spaniard that isn't named Ferrer though.

Federer/Tomic could be exciting for a while, but expect Federer to prevail in four as well. Tomic has had a good run, but Federer is too tough an out right now.

DelPo should be waiting for Fed in the quarters.

Berdych/Alamagro will be a fun match to watch from the sheer fire power on both sides of the court. Finesse can take the night off. I see Berdych as potential trouble for Nadal IF Berdych wins tonight and then shows up to play v. Nadal.

Djokovic looks ready to pulverize anyone in his path to the final. Ferrer will be his first test in a couple of matches and then he'll see the winner of Murray and Tsonga. If Tsonga plays at the top of his game, he can cause Djokovic some trouble.

Right now, I'd have to predict a Djokovic/Nadal final with DelPo taking Federer out in the quarters.

Question: how is it possible to be a top female tennis athlete and be so out of shape? These female players have big bellys and fat legs. How? Back when I played tennis collegiately, I heard that tennis was one of the greatest fat burning activities one could engage in. You'd think with a little training each day, these female players would be in some kind of decent shape. Never understood it.

The AO really begins tonight. For the first time, the top seeds are going to face some competition. I see all the top seeds prevailing, but you never know.

Rafa/Lopez should be a good match, but expect Nadal to win in four. Lopez has beaten Nadal recently (was it on grass?), and should play well at the beginning. Nadal isn't going to lose to a fellow spaniard that isn't named Ferrer though.

Federer/Tomic could be exciting for a while, but expect Federer to prevail in four as well. Tomic has had a good run, but Federer is too tough an out right now.

Berdych/Alamagro will be a fun match to watch from the sheer fire power on both sides of the court. Finesse can take the night off. I see Berdych as potential trouble for Nadal IF Berdych wins tonight and then shows up to play v. Nadal.

Djokovic looks ready to pulverize anyone in his path to the final. Ferrer will be his first test in a couple of matches and then he'll see the winner of Murray and Tsonga. If Tsonga plays at the top of his game, he can cause Djokovic some trouble.

Right now, I'd have to predict a Djokovic/Nadal final with DelPo taking Federer out in the quarters.

Question: how is it possible to be a top female tennis athlete and be so out of shape? These female players have big bellys and fat legs. How? Back when I played tennis collegiately, I heard that tennis was one of the greatest fat burning activities one could engage in. You'd think with a little training each day, these female players would be in some kind of decent shape. Never understood it.

You're right. Lopez took down Nadal at the Queens Club. The only other time he beat nadal was at Basel. I like your analysis of the remaining players. Every bit of that could happen.
Never understood that about the women, either.

Wow. Did anyone watch the end of the Berdych Alamagro match? Unreal. Alamagro had to run down a short ball at the net. He went right at Berdych and blasted him in the arm. Alamagro wasn't going for a kill shot but Berdych was just in the way. Alamagro tried to apologize but Berdych wouldn't even look.his way. It fired Berdych up and he closed out the Match. Postmatch Berdych refused to shake hands with Alamagro. The crowd booed Berdych unmercifully. The Aussies will never let him forget it.

Wow. Did anyone watch the end of the Berdych Alamagro match? Unreal. Alamagro had to run down a short ball at the net. He went right at Berdych and blasted him in the arm. Alamagro wasn't going for a kill shot but Berdych was just in the way. Alamagro tried to apologize but Berdych wouldn't even look.his way. It fired Berdych up and he closed out the Match. Postmatch Berdych refused to shake hands with Alamagro. The crowd booed Berdych unmercifully. The Aussies will never let him forget it.

Last edited:
Berdych's postmatch on court interview has to be one of the most awkward sports moments in recent memory. The crowd booed him relentlessly and got even louder as he kept talking. He'll regret the non-handshake for the rest of his career. Emotions got the best of him and he was trying to.justify it during the interview by saying Almagro hit him in the face with the ball. It hit him in the arm.

In other news, Federer dismantled tomic and left no question that he is for real. DelPo Fed will be something to see. I think it'll be a 5 set instant classic. Nadal will crush Berdych.

Not having seen it myself, I'll take your word for it. Sounds like Berdych is an ass hat. I never cared for Almagro but at least he made an effort.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Berdych's postmatch on court interview has to be one of the most awkward sports moments in recent memory. The crowd booed him relentlessly and got even louder as he kept talking. He'll regret the non-handshake for the rest of his career. Emotions got the best of him and he was trying to.justify it during the interview by saying Almagro hit him in the face with the ball. It hit him in the arm.

In other news, Federer dismantled tomic and left no question that he is for real. DelPo Fed will be something to see. I think it'll be a 5 set instant classic. Nadal will crush Berdych.

I saw the beginning of this match, but missed the good stuff. Will have to see if I can find it on youtube.

I am looking forward to Fed/Delpo.

Are you referring to Serena?

Props to Hewitt for putting up a fight. He was thoroughly outclassed, but he at least made Djoker work.

Are you referring to Serena?

No, actually it was Lisicki and a Russian that made me shake my head. Serena is actually pretty muscular, but just a big woman in certain places.

These women players are just so soft looking. You would think some of them would take a chance on fitness as an enhancement and advantage to their game.

Ferrer/Djokovich could be a good match. Ferrer is 5-6 against him, winning the last meeting at 3 and 1.

VN Store

Back