2013 Tennessee Volunteer Positional Breakdown: Runningback

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
The Starter: Rajion Neal

Neal is a guy you hear about during the summer workout program. Great strength, great speed, somebody that looks like an elite running back. Neal had a strong year last year and had he not been injured I feel like he would have had a 1,000 yard season.

However, the perception is something is missing. And despite that great speed, Neal has not shown the ability to hit the open field and make big plays. His longest run last year was 29 yards, and that was his only run over 20 yards last season. Neal is a solid player, and he protects the ball well. He is underrated from a pass catching standpoint and last year I really thought his pass blocking was overlooked. He did a good job of picking up blitzes last year. Overall I like his game and his ability to convert short yardage plays. Neal is going to have a good year.

The Backup: Marlin Lane

Lane really came on strong at the end of the year when Neal went down. He had 473 yards in his last six games and had a YPC of 5.6. He also has the ability to catch the ball and had 3 five catch games during the 2012 season. He has the ability to make people miss in the open field and has very good speed in the open field.

Lane is a solid, if unspectacular pass blocker, but he seems to dance just a tad too much behind the line, which won't fly with Butch Jones. The new coaching staff is worried about his fumbling, although I believe that will get fixed and won't be a problem. I thought Jim Chaney didn't get Lane enough looks in the open field last year to show off Lane's ability. If Butch Jones can get Lane in space both running and receiving, look out. Lane might have an All-SEC year in him.

Considering no injuries, I think eventually they will split carries evenly, and since Jones likes using running backs to catch the ball (Isaiah Pead had 85 catches from 2009-2011) and Jones' two main running backs had 43 catches between them in 2012, I think you'll see a lot of plays from the passing game for these guys, which will help take the pressure off the quarterback and inexperienced wide receivers. My hope is we see more big plays from the run game. Our most dangerous runner last year was a wideout. The offensive line needs to get to the second level, and the backs need to hit the open lane with urgency. Too many times both tippy-toed their way to the lane. Butch Jones won't have that.

The Freshman: Alden Hill

While Jabo Lee looks like he'll come in, it's not 100%, but Lee had great speed and I think can be a good contributor at UT eventually just not this year. Hill is the freshman we are focusing on, and after having a very solid spring, I expect playing time for him. He's a guy who will put his shoulder down and get extra yards and is always going forward. He might not have a good YPC this year, but expect a lot of short yardage conversions and also racking up some touchdowns. I would think a Jabari Davis circa 2001-2003 role for Hill this year. With inexperienced quarterbacks, Neal and Lane need to stay fresh. Hill will be important to that and will be an important figure this year.

Final Thoughts: Good talent, good experience. Bad depth. UT has four scholarship running backs on the roster at this point. Not all is dire because UT has two slot guys with running back ability in Devrin Young and Pig Howard who can help carry the load in case of emergency. However, I think the trio of Neal/Lane/Hill will hold their own. I predict either Neal or Lane gets 1,000 yards this season and the backup will get over 500 yards. With an experienced offensive line, this group of running backs doesn't have a big name, but has good talent and solid production between Neal and Lane. The grade for the 2013 Tennessee running backs heading into the year is a B.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
I would absolutely LOVE to see Neal and Lane evolve into Cobb/Webb 2.0. And, just when the opposing defense thought they just couldn't stand any more, see Hill come in and kick the rest of their teeth down their throat!!!

It might or might not happen, but a VOL's gotta believe!!!

Go Vols!!!

I would absolutely LOVE to see Neal and Lane evolve into Cobb/Webb 2.0. And, just when the opposing defense thought they just couldn't stand any more, see Hill come in and kick the rest of their teeth down their throat!!!

It might or might not happen, but a VOL's gotta believe!!!

Go Vols!!!
I love the passion!! Kick all the teeth in and if they ain't looking, poke them in the eyes too!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Our running game can be much better than B but definitely not our backs. With the best OL in SEC and the longest for Neal was 29 yards. They were just too happy running east - west and bouncing around. I hope with gaping holes OL will create this year, Neal / Lane go North - south!

Our running game can be much better than B but definitely not our backs. With the best OL in SEC and the longest for Neal was 29 yards. They were just too happy running east - west and bouncing around. I hope with gaping holes OL will create this year, Neal / Lane go North - south!

2 years ago I'd agree with ya. Coach Graham changed that last year.

Reactions: 2 people
However, the perception is something is missing. And despite that great speed, Neal has not shown the ability to hit the open field and make big plays. His longest run last year was 29 yards, and that was his only run over 20 yards last season.

Wow. That's hard to believe.

B is way to high. Remember, they've ben running behind that O-line that most believe is the SEC's best and still haven't done squat. Lane is slow, and Neal thinks he has the speed to beat anyone on the perimeter so he bounces most of his runs outside. They wouldn't start on any SEC team outside of Kentucky and Missouri. C-

B is way to high. Remember, they've ben running behind that O-line that most believe is the SEC's best and still haven't done squat. Lane is slow, and Neal thinks he has the speed to beat anyone on the perimeter so he bounces most of his runs outside. They wouldn't start on any SEC team outside of Kentucky and Missouri. C-

^^Reality

B is fair

I'm afraid it's somewhat wishful thinking. If those guys couldn't excel last year with a passing game spreading out the defense, what's going to happen this year with them running against 8 all the time?

Neal will excel in the open space that CBJ will provide. Lane, however, will need to discipline himself to stay between the tackles and run hard like he showed last year at the tail of the season.

I will say that I'm definitely intrigued as to what Hill can do as he treated the orange and white game as his personal practice session.

And as far as a back with speed goes No. 25 Q. Watson didn't do jack squat. I hope that when Lee does make it in that our team has adapted and will flourish with a back of his speed, as we all know, you can't teach speed.

2012 stats

Neal 4.5 ypc
Lane 5.5 ypc

These numbers disagree.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm afraid it's somewhat wishful thinking. If those guys couldn't excel last year with a passing game spreading out the defense, what's going to happen this year with them running against 8 all the time?

That is where the long runs are going to come into effect. If you load the box and get burned there is no one in the secondary to stop them. If our O-Line creates the holes and we can get past the LB's there is nothing but daylight and 6 points!:dance2:

Not really. Neal hardly ever made anyone miss last year. He always seemed to go down on first contact. The offensive line made our running game last year, not the backs.

This year, we really need to see more broken tackles and explosive plays in the running game.
I agree. My surprise is that it's almost hard to be a starting RB and not get more than one 20 yard run. You'd think that either he'd have a few against the weak sisters or there would be a missed tackle or blown assignment somewhere.

I think Lane is the better overall runner. Neal seemed to be too indecisive about seeing the hole and getting through it. And once he did he was down as soon as someone touched him. His YPC compared to Lane's would seem to bear this out, as would the fact that he only had one run over 20 yards all year last season.

5-7 sux...no way around that.

Our offense last year, both passing and rushing, were alot better than that record.

A one hundred plus ranked defense will make any season suk....just like boneheaded play calling.

Definitely so...

Poor blocking by the WR's.

Hunter was protecting his assets. CP for all the great things he did with the ball was often didn't even try to run block. I remember him numerous times becoming a spectator while the guy he was supposed to be blocking helped stop a run for short yardage that could have been bounced outside.

ZR was a good run blocker. Dallas was said to be the best run blocker on the team so his return is more important than most think right now.

VN Store

Back