2013 Tennessee Volunteers Positional Breakdown: Quarterback

I'm sure peterman will see playing time in the first game when we pull ahead in the second half. The other QB's will be redshirted.

Worley will be the starter but you will see Peterman play in every game. Sorta like Ainge & Schafer did against UNLV, etc.

Then once the Western Ky, Austine Peay, Oregon & Florida games are played, Peterman will be the full time starter. When we play South Alabama, Peterman will be the only q.b. to play that entire game...... Before the South Alabama game, Worley will be benched.

Following the season, Worley will transfer. Sorta like Brandon Stewart, B.J. Coleman, etc. Once he sees that he will not be the starter, he will leave....

Worley will be the starter but you will see Peterman play in every game. Sorta like Ainge & Schafer did against UNLV, etc.

Then once the Western Ky, Austine Peay, Oregon & Florida games are played, Peterman will be the full time starter. When we play South Alabama, Peterman will be the only q.b. to play that entire game...... Before the South Alabama game, Worley will be benched.

Following the season, Worley will transfer. Sorta like Brandon Stewart, B.J. Coleman, etc. Once he sees that he will not be the starter, he will leave....

Austine ? Never heard of it. You loan out that crystal ball?

When grading this group you also need to look at the QB recruiting for 2014, there seems to be lack of a great QB looking our way. That in itself should send a message, that we are stack with B talent and there is little interest in signing at UT

Austine ? Never heard of it. You loan out that crystal ball?

Austine was Austin Peay's wifes name!!!!!

I figure that the race between Worely & Peterman will be so close that CBJ will play both of them, early in the season. Then once, one of them wins the starting position, the other one will transfer at the seasons end.

It has happend like that before when there was not a clear choice as our starting q.b.

Well-written, balanced post by the OP. The good news is that we play A.P. and W. Ky to start the season. Both are easily (?) winnable games during which CBJ can look at 3 of the QBs if not all. It won't be like playing the Ducks or Gators, but by the 4th quarter of the Hilltoppers game, we should have an idea which QB can best lead this team.

With almost exactly two months till the start of the season, I will be breaking down the roster position. We will talk about the viable candidates, and then give a letter grade that combines talent, depth, and experience going into 2013.

Let's start with the quarterbacks, where four players are vying to join such legends as Dewey Warren, Condredge Holloway, Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning, and others among the Big Orange signal callers.

The Starter: Justin Worley

If the season started tomorrow, Worley would take the first snap in Knoxville against Austin Peay. Worley has been at UT for two years, and has shown promise, when he took over for Tyler Bray in 2011 because of injuries. Worley is accurate and has the ability to read the defense and make the correct decisions. He has good velocity on his throws, but his lack of range can have a defense play in. Worley played a Mike Leach type spread in High School, and Butch will play to the strengths of his offense if Worley is the starter.

The Backup: Nathan Peterman

Peterman is a 6'2/225 QB from Florida with arm strength, mobility, and size. From a physical standpoint, Peterman might be the best of the bunch. He redshirted last year, and was even recruited by Butch Jones at Cincinnati. Peterman is the perfect fit for Butch Jones' system. But he is raw. He seems to get lost in the pocket sometimes, and hasn't grasped the offense. There is still plenty of time for Peterman to grab the spot, and I bet he will see snaps in the first two weeks of the season.

The Freshmen: Joshua Dobbs and Riley Ferguson

Let's start first with Josh Dobbs. A very smart player with the ability to make plays with his arm and his feet. Learning the offense should not be a problem with him. Dobbs has great ability, and we do not know what to expect. Jones will give the best man the job and Dobbs has that ability to start from day one and take control of the team.

Riley Ferguson has been getting overlooked, but he has great ability, and looking at his offer list it's quite obvious he was coveted. His junior numbers in high school were mind boggling. He has great arm talent, and he is more mobile than looks. He is only 175 and has to put on weight, but he can definitely be a starter at UT, though he is probably not as polished as Dobbs.

Overall Thoughts: Talent abounds this group despite the lack of a top 5 type high school ranking. All four can be an SEC starter at some point in their careers with the right coaching. I believe Worley is going to get the first crack to hold down the job, but we might three of the four quarterbacks this year. I'm interested to see if Jones will adjust his offense if someone takes over mid-season. However, the first two games will tell us if UT has found their starter. Like a lot of people, I love Dobbs' mental capacity to play the spot and the raw talent, but I want to see if Peterman can take the spot. He's tailor made for this offense.

Grade: The talent is there, but with only quarterback having three career starts on his belt, it's hard to give a complete grade for these guys. The question will be more at the end of the year so we can get an idea of who will be the 2014 QB. The grade for the 2013 Tennessee Volunteers Quarterbacks going into the season is a C+

Go Vols!!! :hi:
I know one damn thing if you got 4 then really you dont have 1.:loco:

With almost exactly two months till the start of the season, I will be breaking down the roster position. We will talk about the viable candidates, and then give a letter grade that combines talent, depth, and experience going into 2013.

Let's start with the quarterbacks, where four players are vying to join such legends as Dewey Warren, Condredge Holloway, Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning, and others among the Big Orange signal callers.

The Starter: Justin Worley

If the season started tomorrow, Worley would take the first snap in Knoxville against Austin Peay. Worley has been at UT for two years, and has shown promise, when he took over for Tyler Bray in 2011 because of injuries. Worley is accurate and has the ability to read the defense and make the correct decisions. He has good velocity on his throws, but his lack of range can have a defense play in. Worley played a Mike Leach type spread in High School, and Butch will play to the strengths of his offense if Worley is the starter.

The Backup: Nathan Peterman

Peterman is a 6'2/225 QB from Florida with arm strength, mobility, and size. From a physical standpoint, Peterman might be the best of the bunch. He redshirted last year, and was even recruited by Butch Jones at Cincinnati. Peterman is the perfect fit for Butch Jones' system. But he is raw. He seems to get lost in the pocket sometimes, and hasn't grasped the offense. There is still plenty of time for Peterman to grab the spot, and I bet he will see snaps in the first two weeks of the season.

The Freshmen: Joshua Dobbs and Riley Ferguson

Let's start first with Josh Dobbs. A very smart player with the ability to make plays with his arm and his feet. Learning the offense should not be a problem with him. Dobbs has great ability, and we do not know what to expect. Jones will give the best man the job and Dobbs has that ability to start from day one and take control of the team.

Riley Ferguson has been getting overlooked, but he has great ability, and looking at his offer list it's quite obvious he was coveted. His junior numbers in high school were mind boggling. He has great arm talent, and he is more mobile than looks. He is only 175 and has to put on weight, but he can definitely be a starter at UT, though he is probably not as polished as Dobbs.

Overall Thoughts: Talent abounds this group despite the lack of a top 5 type high school ranking. All four can be an SEC starter at some point in their careers with the right coaching. I believe Worley is going to get the first crack to hold down the job, but we might three of the four quarterbacks this year. I'm interested to see if Jones will adjust his offense if someone takes over mid-season. However, the first two games will tell us if UT has found their starter. Like a lot of people, I love Dobbs' mental capacity to play the spot and the raw talent, but I want to see if Peterman can take the spot. He's tailor made for this offense.

Grade: The talent is there, but with only quarterback having three career starts on his belt, it's hard to give a complete grade for these guys. The question will be more at the end of the year so we can get an idea of who will be the 2014 QB. The grade for the 2013 Tennessee Volunteers Quarterbacks going into the season is a C+

Go Vols!!! :hi:

I feel so much better having read your post. I admire the way you regurgitate what everyone has been telling you without including one original thought or piece of news. Thanks for making sure we are all informed about what we already know. When you analyze the RBs, please tell us that Neal will probably be the starter until Lane stops putting the ball on the ground. As for the WRs, remember to tell us how talented, yet inexperienced they are. Don't quit your day job.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm sure peterman will see playing time in the first game when we pull ahead in the second half. The other QB's will be redshirted.

One of the FR QB's will play, most likely Dobbs. Wouldnt surprise me a bit if Dobbs won the job. Especially if what a players Dad supposedly said. Wish I could remember who posted it and where on here but it was from a WR's parent and basically saying everyone was waiting on Dobbs to get here and hopefully do his thing. I personally have been pulling for Peterman, not sure Worely even starts the season as the starter. He might but wouldnt surprise me if Worley doesnt even start a game. Dobbs and Ferguson have and will get every opportunity to win the job from the sound of it.

I feel so much better having read your post. I admire the way you regurgitate what everyone has been telling you without including one original thought or piece of news. Thanks for making sure we are all informed about what we already know. When you analyze the RBs, please tell us that Neal will probably be the starter until Lane stops putting the ball on the ground. As for the WRs, remember to tell us how talented, yet inexperienced they are. Don't quit your day job.
A bit hostile, IMO.

When grading this group you also need to look at the QB recruiting for 2014, there seems to be lack of a great QB looking our way. That in itself should send a message, that we are stack with B talent and there is little interest in signing at UT

We have more than just B talent. 3 out of the 4 QB's were 4* QB's on atleast 1I service and could be 4a I dont remember if Worely ever was. We have talent and potential, WR's were the biggest problem and now any 4 of the QB's could win the starting job. Truely dont see Worley as the starter from start to finish if he even starts at all. I will support whoever wins the job but honestly longterm I hope one of the other 3 wins it and is a 4 yr starter or in 2 yrs were doing this again. Hoping one of the three younger QB's takes control. Hell we have had plenty FR start and play the entirely or almost the entirety of their time here. Peyton, C.Clausen, Ainge, Bray. Tee and Crompton were the ones who didnt and sprinkle in a few starts by Schaeffer, R.Clausen, M.Simms,J.Banks when Casey was hurt and Mathews and Suggs before Casey took over and outside of Bray it has worked out pretty well.

So we are grading the QBs on their off season workouts? I mean, nobody has ever seen 3 of these guys even play one college down of football.
We have a lot of members who have espn...oops I ment ESP. I'm leaving my grades out till after the season.

:puke5:

:puke5::puke5::puke5:

Regurgitated and not very original IMO. Just more complaining about something free.

The best news is that you won't have to read or comment on the upcoming unoriginal, regurgitated, and common knowledge analysis of other positions. :thumbsup:

....Holy Hell...Drink a beer or something! it's the offseason!

Reactions: 1 person
How many starts in this group?

Consider me skeptical.

Also, "talent abounds," is a bit much.

--The incumbents--

Worley-- 3 star, no instate offers. Offer list littered with, in my opinion, what were non-commitables. No way to prove, just my feelings.

Peterman-- 4 star, no instate offers. Questionable offer list altogether, really.

Going by memory here, so if I'm mistaken, forgive me.

Now the Freshman duo may have more raw talent, but the learning curve is sharp in the SEC.

Potentially a good group, but with everything left to prove.

Good write up though.

Last edited:

Not really a people person, huh?

Reactions: 1 person
How many starts in this group?

Consider me skeptical.

Also, "talent abounds," is a bit much.

--The incumbents--

Worley-- 3 star, no instate offers. Offer list littered with, in my opinion, what were non-commitables. No way to prove, just my feelings.

Peterman-- 4 star, no instate offers. Questionable offer list altogether, really.

Going by memory here, so if I'm mistaken, forgive me.

Now the Freshman duo may have more raw talent, but the learning curve is sharp in the SEC.

Potentially a good group, but with everything left to prove.

Good write up though.

They all have great strengths, but big weaknesses. Can we take chunks of them and create a robo QB?

VN Store

Back