2014 Opener. Utah State Aggies.

We play Oklahoma next year bud

Good. I'd much rather see game against two out of conference respectable teams. Hanging 51 points on Georgia State means nothing. I'm not saying play Oregon and Oklahoma in the same year. But, it would be nice to play two winnable power conference teams.

Have you watched KState lately? I don't think I would lump them into that group.

Yes, but didn't they lose a lot of key players? They are picked to finish 6th in the Big 12 this year. I'd like to see us play "respectable" power conference teams. I'd much rather see us play KState over Kansas or Iowa State. But, I'd pick Kansas or Iowa State over Utah State, Georgia State, or Akron.

Good. I'd much rather see game against two out of conference respectable teams. Hanging 51 points on Georgia State means nothing. I'm not saying play Oregon and Oklahoma in the same year. But, it would be nice to play two winnable power conference teams.

We're likely looking at replacing our entire OL and DL while looking at playing @Oklahoma in our 3rd game... is not what I'd call remotely winnable for a 2nd year coach.

OU @Neyland in 2015 with Jones in his 3rd year and this 2014 class being Sophomores is a little different. Winnable? Don't know. Competitive? Probably a lot more.

Personally I prefer fcs or strong fbs not too much a fan of the usu or wku game not much to gain a lot to lose like fcs games except more chances to lose
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Its first and only thing I think of when I hear Utah State (well that, and them putting the fear of God into Auburn a couple years back).

I was randomly watching one of their basketball games a few years ago and cracked up when I saw that.

WallyBalls, do you know the sad story behind your avatar?

This is a very good opener. Quality opponent, but still a game we should win. But if we take them lightly they could put the fear in us like they did Auburn when they played.

Good - I prefer a game like this to open the season. Makes it more exciting.

I'll be honest, I'm not excited about the Austin Peay game this year. I'll enjoy watching our players, but the game itself should largely be a snore. The only things I'll be concerned about is can our defense get them off the field quickly (unlike against G. State last year) and how efficiently does our offense execute? That may be the difference between winning 51-13 and winning 70-0.

Optimistic? I hope your right.:rock:

Will be my first game in neyland and I can't wait. If the game was this year USU would beat us by 14. They are very physical and fast on D

Family's roots are in Erwin.

Very familiar.

I think I'm familiar with the story but I think it deserves an explanation since you brought it up. Also you could throw in the story of Elephants walking across the first modern bridge in America, which was a publicity stunt (because elephants are known to not walk over water or unsafe ground).:good!:

USU snuck up on a few people last year (after years of doing absolutely nothing), and you can track that uptick with Anderson. We'll see if Matt Wells can keep it going, but Logan Utah has to be one of the hardest places in the country to recruit football players. It doesn't help that the University of Utah is about an hour and half away in Salt Lake City and that the Mormons are nuts about BYU.

Yeah, Troy says hi.

This should be a good game to watch. UT should win and it will be the first time we get to see the players from the legacy class. Here's to Hurd running wild for about 175 yards and two touch downs.

Aaaaaahhhhh, The Vols better be careful with 'Always Tough Utah State'......
I agree they will be tough, I just cant get the image of Hurd going off in this game out of my head. I really feel like Hurd can come in from day 1 and be a dominant back like we have seen at other SEC schools in the past few years. He may not start game 1, but by midseason I don't think you will be able to deny him his place in the starting lineup.

A big step up from WKY. They should help us prep for early games with gators and okies.

Last edited:
They will be a big step up unless everything just falls apart and goes to crap because of the loss of their coach.

I think I'm familiar with the story but I think it deserves an explanation since you brought it up. Also you could throw in the story of Elephants walking across the first modern bridge in America, which was a publicity stunt (because elephants are known to not walk over water or unsafe ground).:good!:

Short version- circus elephant kills its trainer in Kingsport. Story gets sensationalized and circus worries people won't go if this elephant is there, so they decide it will have to be 'executed' in public. Shooting or electrocution didn't work, so they took it to the railroad yard in Erwin to hang it with a crane.

Pretty sad story really, but I guess par for the course in the early 1900s.

Don't know a thing about the bridges.

Family's roots are in Erwin.

Very familiar.

Understood. I'm sort of a trivial and history buff so that's why I asked. I understand that she (elephant was female) fell the first time and broke a leg. In obvious pain she was hung again.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back