2024 Recruiting Thread

Janiah Barker likely staying put since she just signed an NIL deal with Adidas.

Joni found the dough to keep her. Interesting watching Barker upclose in person both here and in a couple of games at Greenville. Someone has to work with her and help her find some poise. So talented but cannot stop reacting emotionally to every single play. She flops, she whines, she stays out of plays and argues with refs. Worst of all, she's a big yeller at teammates and not in a good way. Ignores Joni at best, argues with her at worst. She has to learn to control her emotions bc right now they are controlling her game.

Coulibally on the other hand, man I wish we had gotten her!

Joni found the dough to keep her. Interesting watching Barker upclose in person both here and in a couple of games at Greenville. Someone has to work with her and help her find some poise. So talented but cannot stop reacting emotionally to every single play. She flops, she whines, she stays out of plays and argues with refs. Worst of all, she's a big yeller at teammates and not in a good way. Ignores Joni at best, argues with her at worst. She has to learn to control her emotions bc right now they are controlling her game.

Coulibally on the other hand, man I wish we had gotten her!
It also makes me very frustrated about our money situation.

It also makes me very frustrated about our money situation.
I try to turn my focus away from the health of the LV NIL issue due to lack of certainty and objective evidence. …imo.

The Nike deal. I wonder if that’s transferable to another school. A true national contract may be written thusly.

The Nike deal. I wonder if that’s transferable to another school. A true national contract may be written thusly.
Probably the deal that kept her? Maybe short term just for this year at TAM?

Surprised if Janiah has a long term national deal, she's not that well known.

Deals should be transferable if the sponsor is willing. As of now, the school is not supposed to have anything to do with it.

The second part is what really made me envious. It felt like a “getting their money up” to keep her, and I think illustrating the ability to get a national deal for your players is a nice selling point to recruits as well.

Deals should be transferable if the sponsor is willing. As of now, the school is not supposed to have anything to do with it.

An adidas deal pretty much rules out a transfer to a nike school though

Good point. Stuff getting complicated. Agents and lawyers are big beneficiaries of NIL.

So can everyone transfer without sitting out now? Last year's transfers can go again right? I think that was the last court ruling.

Correct, anyone can transfer during the portal open period and they are immediately eligible.

Correct, anyone can transfer during the portal open period and they are immediately eligible.
Just wild. Imagine being a coaching staff emersed in prep for the tourney and also one eye on this emerging sh*t show. Who's staying, who's going, who's fishing for offers, who's being tampered with.

So can Cooper play in the NCAA?

She transferred outside the portal window last year, right? So, I don't think she can.

"The women's college basketball transfer portal opens on the Monday following the NCAA Tournament selection shows, which is usually March 18, and closes on May 16, 2024."

I think the wording of my previous post should be changed from immediately eligible to immediately eligible for the following season. I don't think a player could transfer in March 18 and play in this year's NCAAT.

VN Store

Back