2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Ok but again, Knecht is a far better athlete than most of those guys. Maybe Lanier will be good on that end under Barnes. Defensive metrics are not always reliable.

But, last year’s team was loaded with really good to elite defenders so Knecht’s defensive deficiencies were somewhat masked, which will prop of those defensive metrics.. Losing Vescovi and James will hurt on that end, not just for their defensive ability but for their voice and leadership on that end.. Can Estrella be good on that end? Dubar and Igor seem like wildcards. I don’t see it with Tyson.

You can’t just assume everything is going to be fine defensively just because we are coming off two consecutive elite years on that end. Next year is a much different looking team. Not even comparable to just adding Knecht and Gainey to an already elite unit.
I’m willing to bet you right now we are a Top 20 defensive team next year

I like Dubar, but this absolutely won’t happen.
Agree to disagree. Vescovi vastly improved his defense while he was here. He became a good defender, but I definitely wouldn’t say elite. Dubar is already known as a good defender. Good athlete with length, and can block shots.

Why would he not want to see what NIL opportunities are out there if other schools are truly paying what has been stated on here? Per this board, it seems that every player that selects a school other than us has done so because of NIL. What makes us the exception for the players we get?
Well I’ve not ever said that, because that’s definitely not always the case. The kid is from Nashville and probably would like for his family be able to see him play on the biggest stage for starters 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agree but you guys are are putting no emphasis on the defensive abilities of any of these portal players.

I’m not necessarily worried about it but some of these lineups being thrown around are just totally ignoring it. You still have to have good defenders and guys who are capable of guarding multiple positions to be good at defense. You don’t just insert anybody you want who can shoot and score and expect it to all mesh defensively just because it’s coach Barnes.

This team will look dramatically different next year. Be careful about what you assume or take for granted imo.
Zeigler is still your PG, Okpara has better defensive numbers than Aidoo and that was on a worse team. Mashack’s numbers were right up there with Santi and JJJ, so wash their 1/1. So that leaves you 2 spots, let’s say Igor & Lanier comping to Santi and Knecht. As I’ve already shown Igor was a better defender than Knecht coming to Knoxville and he’s got 4” on him and is a plus athlete for a 4, I would say it’s not unlikely to say he’s a better defender than Knecht, he already was at each players previous school. So Santi vs. Lanier, Santi obviously gets the edge but again in the system with 4 other plus defenders he can likely be masked.

Do I think we are likely a Top 2-3 defense? Probably not, but I’m willing to bet we will be just fine on that end of the court.

Exactly my point. You can only insert so many guys like that into the rotation. Or else there won’t be enough around him to pick him up.
What if guys play better defense under Rick Barnes because he coaches it so well and demands it if you want to play? What if Lanier, Igor, etc. are coming to UT in part to get better on defense, as Knecht did?

I don’t think Barnes is going after these guys if he doesn’t expect them to play good defense next season. That means he sees enough in them to believe he can make them good defenders.

*Note: all mention of Rick Barnes in this post should be construed to include Rick Barnes and his assistants.

Barnes isn't bringing Lanier in for defense. It's so he can score 20 plus a game. Everyone else around him will play defense. Sorta like we did with Knecht. Dalton had zero defense about him and he played 30 minutes a game
Lanier reminds me of a Jordan Bone in his build, and the way he switches speeds to get to the rim.

His shot is also pure, smooth as butter.
I'd say if he can put up better numbers than Vescovi did this past season, which shouldn't be too hard to do, (i.e. 6.3 PPG, 32.6% 3PT%) then its a clear upgrade.

Zeigler
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Milicic/Dubar
Okpara/Estrella
That lineup right there looks good on offense and defense. I like the length and the depth and the outside scoring. As long as Coach Barnes is the head coach, they are gonna get after it on defense if they wanna play. Ziegler, Mashack, and Okra are gonna be tough on defense. We will get quality scoring from Ziegler, Lanier, Gainey, Milicic, and Dubar. I like this roster. I am not counting Tyson out as long as he is still a possibility.

Last edited:
He's waiting out Tyson, isn't he?
Maybe. At this point you have to believe in yourself as a player and competitor. If I wanted to come to Tennessee, I would commit and win myself a job. Crap on players that are afraid to compete! If we are going to win big, we got to compete in practice before we get to the court!

No I don’t think so
I posted a couple of days ago that Igor is mostly done, but it may take a few days due to his visa. He has to get clearance for his student visa to be transferred and this can actually take up to a week. I have heard nothing to imply this has gone sideways or that Igor is waiting out Tyson. I’m obviously not the all knower, but I think this is just a red tape delay, not a minutes drama.

I posted a couple of days ago that Igor is mostly done, but it may take a few days due to his visa. He has to get clearance for his student visa to be transferred and this can actually take up to a week. I have heard nothing to imply this has gone sideways or that Igor is waiting out Tyson. I’m obviously not the all knower, but I think this is just a red tape delay, not a minutes drama.
Igor is not afraid to compete with anybody. He does not expect, nor does he want to be handed anything, including minutes.

I know Lanier is friends with Gillespie, but I really don’t think anyone else is a threat to us with the way everyone is talking. I mean really how much of a threat is Maryland??

What’s funnier is I never saw Vescovi on a single all defensive team, ever. Not to take anything away from him. He became a good, not great, defender.
Program’s all time steals leader is an “unathletic average defender” as labeled by some of our fans? Hard to make sense of the stats versus the perceptions.

I’m willing to bet you right now we are a Top 20 defensive team next year
I think we will be fine.. This whole discussion started over my response to Trippie’s lineup with ZZ, Lanier, Tyson, Igor, Felix.. I responded to your next post saying I loved the look of the lineup you posted. My point was that we have to consider defense too in these portal and new lineup discussions and not take it for granted.

Having said that, if you are referring to Kenpom ranking at the end of next season, I’ll take that bet. I think it will be close and 20 is a decent line, but with so many question marks and so much roster turnover I like the odds of being outside top 20 slightly better. I Don’t feel overly confident about it but I’m down to gamble if I think I’ve got a small edge lol.

VN Store

Back