2024 Transfer Portal Thread

You have a tendency of supporting your crazy theories by inventing an imaginary counter-position. No one implied that anyone is “driving around in fancy cars” etc. TV networks, advertisers, hotels, restaurants, towns, and universities all made money by selling the illusion of the purity of an amateur sport. The “talent” was left out while creating most of the value. It was a con. The “money” does not all go to building facilities. It enriches all the constituents I listed. It was a multibillion dollar racket that paid everyone except the kids who invested years of work and preparation and in many instances lost years off their lives.

The "talent" is supposed to be a college student. The 'talent" is getting a free college education--worth a LOT of money. If you polled every living former student-athlete--or former football player--and asked them if they were treated badly or exploited, very few would answer yes--and of those who did, most would probably only say 'yes' now because that's the new and nonsensical narrative. If you'd conducted the same poll, say, four years ago, you'd be hard-pressed to find any former players who didn't feel they had a good and fortunate experience. I am a former UT student-athlete. I can tell you that everybody who lived in Gibbs Hall felt we were the luckiest people on campus--because we were. There was no "illusion" of amateur sport--it WAS amateur. Only a very few star footballers or basketball players got some under-the-table bennies or money.

The real problem is that fans in certain parts of the country are absurdly crazy--and the football programs grew unchecked and have basically spiraled out of control, with major help from television. I used to be among those who felt sorry for DII/DIII and the Ivies because they were part of the big show. Now, it's pretty obvious that the Ivies have had athletics in the proper perspective all along. Most SEC football/basketball fans didn't even go to college--and that's interesting: It's just entertainment to them; there is no recognization or appreciation for the importance of academic side. And the players no longer value it, either--they're now just mercenaries, not the students they're supposed to be. Most will be in for a rude awakening when their out of college and not good enough for a pro career. That's not to suggest that players in the past were academically focused and diligent---many of course were not very smart and not too keen on school, but still focused on getting that sheepskin. They/we didn't have a distorted view of what college was about. At the end of the day, they're just college games. Fans who send their money to collectives so their school can buy better teams are rather loony.

The "talent" is supposed to be a college student. The 'talent" is getting a free college education--worth a LOT of money. If you polled every living former student-athlete--or former football player--and asked them if they were treated badly or exploited, very few would answer yes--and of those who did, most would probably only say 'yes' now because that's the new and nonsensical narrative. If you'd conducted the same poll, say, four years ago, you'd be hard-pressed to find any former players who didn't feel they had a good and fortunate experience. I am a former UT student-athlete. I can tell you that everybody who lived in Gibbs Hall felt we were the luckiest people on campus--because we were. There was no "illusion" of amateur sport--it WAS amateur. Only a very few star footballers or basketball players got some under-the-table bennies or money.

The real problem is that fans in certain parts of the country are absurdly crazy--and the football programs grew unchecked and have basically spiraled out of control, with major help from television. I used to be among those who felt sorry for DII/DIII and the Ivies because they were part of the big show. Now, it's pretty obvious that the Ivies have had athletics in the proper perspective all along. Most SEC football/basketball fans didn't even go to college--and that's interesting: It's just entertainment to them; there is no recognization or appreciation for the importance of academic side. And the players no longer value it, either--they're now just mercenaries, not the students they're supposed to be. Most will be in for a rude awakening when their out of college and not good enough for a pro career. That's not to suggest that players in the past were academically focused and diligent---many of course were not very smart and not too keen on school, but still focused on getting that sheepskin. They/we didn't have a distorted view of what college was about. At the end of the day, they're just college games. Fans who send their money to collectives so their school can buy better teams are rather loony.

I’m opting out. I regretted responding to you the first time, but had no time machine handy to undo the damage of turning on your squirrel brain to mouth circuit. The amount of words you use to say nothing is quite a feat. Well done, as always.

I mean if you want to argue with the Supreme Court about what does and doesn’t constitute an “illegal labor practice” you do you. It’s only a quick google search away to read the opinions.

That's you're way of saying you can't explain it. The one SCOTUS decision wasn't even related to athletics. The legal decisions are interesting given that these sports have been around for decades--on radio and television for 60 years--and there was hardly a peep about anti-trust violations or poor players being exploited. Anybody who thinks what we have now makes sense is insane.

I do eagerly hope that we see unionized student-athletes soon, as they'll then have the right to file all sorts of claims, charges and demands to labor agencies that will increase the madness exponentially. I'm also eager for some ambitious high-school players file lawsuits against their schools or athletic districts. Many high-school football and basketball games are televised, streamed, on the radio--someobdy is making a bit of money off the games, and those terribly treated, horribly exploited high-schoolers are going to want to get paid, too! And let's not forget, back at the college level, the cheerleaders and the band---all part of the show! Fun times.

I’m opting out. I regretted responding to you the first time, but had no time machine handy to undo the damage of turning on your squirrel brain to mouth circuit. The amount of words you use to say nothing is quite a feat. Well done, as always.

You don't really know much--which is why you don't say much. I've seen it before. Always best to make a generalized comment....and then flee.

You have a tendency of supporting your crazy theories by inventing an imaginary counter-position. No one implied that anyone is “driving around in fancy cars” etc. TV networks, advertisers, hotels, restaurants, towns, and universities all made money by selling the illusion of the purity of an amateur sport. The “talent” was left out while creating most of the value. It was a con. The “money” does not all go to building facilities. It enriches all the constituents I listed. It was a multibillion dollar racket that paid everyone except the kids who invested years of work and preparation and in many instances lost years off their lives.
The corruption is caused by keeping professional Level athletes on the college football fields instead of routing them to lower level professional leagues like BB G League or baseballs AAA.

Return the NCAA to the sort of amateur ranks with restricted non pay for play earnings and create football minor leagues and use the existing leagues of other sports.

What % of ALL NCAA athletes across all sports and all divisions are worthy of more than 10k of NIL or similar money?

Get them out of there and there will be plenty of quality athletes to stay in the NEAR original model. Don’t punish the masses to accommodate the minuscule % of guys wanting to be professionally paid while playing with those with no shot at the big leagues.

Eventually the representatives in Congress whose constituents are not attached to programs with money to play this new game will take it out of the courts ability to drive the train when the majority of schools will have trouble sustaining Olympic and other minor sports when the super leagues/teams siphon off the money in the CURRENT big TV pot. Wait till some rather large and storied schools get left out of realigned major conferences and revenues spiral down. Money is the root of all legislation.

Let the professionals pay the bills to enhance the minor leagues for the money worthy not college sports fans luring TV money with attendance and viewing numbers. Route the football guys to UFL out of college to play along with other guys of closer talent. Draw some lines and baseball guys will go BACK to minors and G league will pick up speed.

You don't really know much--which is why you don't say much. I've seen it before. Always best to make a generalized comment....and then flee.

I’ll bite….reluctantly - once. First - the amount of words used to make an argument does not determine mastery of the topic. Sometimes few words have the most impact.

Second - it is really this simple. Every person in this country has the right to make money off of their NIL if there is a market for them. Historically, the NCAA illegally prevented athletes from doing this. The Supreme Court ruling allows for college athletes to make money off of their own name. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and no one should disagree with it. I would much rather see these athletes make money rather than many of the crazy ‘influencers’ that are in various social media sites making money.

The corruption is caused by keeping professional Level athletes on the college football fields instead of routing them to lower level professional leagues like BB G League or baseballs AAA.

Return the NCAA to the sort of amateur ranks with restricted non pay for play earnings and create football minor leagues and use the existing leagues of other sports.

What % of ALL NCAA athletes across all sports and all divisions are worthy of more than 10k of NIL or similar money?

Get them out of there and there will be plenty of quality athletes to stay in the NEAR original model. Don’t punish the masses to accommodate the minuscule % of guys wanting to be professionally paid while playing with those with no shot at the big leagues.

Eventually the representatives in Congress whose constituents are not attached to programs with money to play this new game will take it out of the courts ability to drive the train when the majority of schools will have trouble sustaining Olympic and other minor sports when the super leagues/teams siphon off the money in the CURRENT big TV pot. Wait till some rather large and storied schools get left out of realigned major conferences and revenues spiral down. Money is the root of all legislation.

Let the professionals pay the bills to enhance the minor leagues for the money worthy not college sports fans luring TV money with attendance and viewing numbers. Route the football guys to UFL out of college to play along with other guys of closer talent. Draw some lines and baseball guys will go BACK to minors and G league will pick up speed.
You’re right. Who wants to watch players like Dalton Knecht play when there are local kids who’d happily suit up and represent the school for free. Why use athletes at all, or even humans. Imagine the loyalty we could get out of some poorly fed donkeys. I think there may even be a Disney movie in this, but then you’d have to pay the donkey.

I’m going to keep posting this exact same response every time you bring up the value of a college education.

This argument would carry more weight if we were still operating under the same conditions as the 80s-90s. Back then, the top football programs were generating around $1 million in TV revenue per year. Consequently, head coaches only made low-six figures, and most assistants were earning mid-five figures. Therefore, a college athlete receiving a full scholarship was considered a pretty good deal. Fast forward to today, and Big Ten schools will be receiving $80-100 million a year in TV revenue. Currently, coordinators and even some position coaches are earning over a million a year. It's unreasonable to expect coaches' salaries to increase by such large amounts while players do not start asking for a piece of the pie. The argument that the value of an education holds doesn't carry the same weight as it once did.

Be careful Stoerner. You’re about to get the lecture that “a scholarship is enough for these players”. He’s been beating that dead horse for months.

Sorry. I hadn’t read far enough. You already got the lecture.

1714837843947.gif

Or keep beating a dead horse like you do and not dealing with reality. No amount of wishing for the old days is going to bring it back. You might not like it but you need to learn to live with it.

You’re right. Who wants to watch players like Dalton Knecht play when there are local kids who’d happily suit up and represent the school for free. Why use athletes at all, or even humans. Imagine the loyalty we could get out of some poorly fed donkeys. I think there may even be a Disney movie in this, but then you’d have to pay the donkey.
Loved DK but the sports can survive some of the CREAM skipping college ball to avoid the disparity of distribution we are seeing. DK would NOT have been a direct from HS guy, Nico would if that is his preferred option. Two healthy paths better than one convoluted one with WINK WINK NIL values and unlimited portal activity.

NCAA should define a RATIONAL NIL cap limit on each team, one that at least all D1 can be in play, forcing a distribution exactly like scholly limits do, but TRUE pay for play values move on to pro leagues. NFL or UFL one could drive the new train for FB, BB and Baseball already exist.

We don’t need pro worthy folks playing school.pick a path.

This thread has went from good updates to debating the merits of portal and NIL lol.
Will remain that way for awhile, but it's pretty pointless to debate atm, as it will all work itself out.

VOLS football is relatively inactive in the portal, while VOLS bball is keeping with most other teams. Hopefully both are wildly successful over the next 5 to 10 years

Reactions: NighthawkVol
This thread has went from good updates to debating the merits of portal and NIL lol.

Well, to be fair, there isn’t really anything else to talk about. We have one target remaining and that likely will be silent on info for a few more weeks. This thread is on its death bed. Portal season is almost over.

Well, to be fair, there isn’t really anything else to talk about. We have one target remaining and that likely will be silent on info for a few more weeks. This thread is on its death bed. Portal season is almost over.
Better than the hourly freak out over Chaz not announcing yet, IMO.

VN Store

Back