2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd rather have this player than either one of the point guards visiting. She was a really efficient player for UAB just got in the portal today. Last Day.
At 5'6 she's a little short, no?

Me too. I’m not sure what to make of the Spencer and Dwyer visits. Now I have a lot of questions! Does the staff not imagine Cooper as a PG? Or Boyd? (Or Wynn for that matter?) Do they expect Wells to miss a significant chunk of the season? Are we going to have two PGs on the court at most times, and only going to see one post on the court at a time?

IMO it's a move toward positionless basketball. From an offensive perspective, you will see 3 or 4 guards at all times and they will all be capable of kicking off the offense if the fast break is unproductive. I don't think you'll see us stop, find the PG, and run a set on a regular basis. It will be fast break, secondary break, immediately transitioning into the half-court motion offense.

On defense, you have to match personnel with your opponent if they beat your full-court pressure. If you're running 4 guards, one or more has to be capable of defending a post.

I'd rather have this player than either one of the point guards visiting. She was a really efficient player for UAB just got in the portal today. Last Day.
She’s too similar to destinee for me.. Spencer and Dwyer are both different to her

Reactions: spojo13
IMO it's a move toward positionless basketball. From an offensive perspective, you will see 3 or 4 guards at all times and they will all be capable of kicking off the offense if the fast break is unproductive. I don't think you'll see us stop, find the PG, and run a set on a regular basis. It will be fast break, secondary break, immediately transitioning into the half-court motion offense.

On defense, you have to match personnel with your opponent if they beat your full-court pressure. If you're running 4 guards, one or more has to be capable of defending a post.
Yeah u just have to be able to handle the ball

Reactions: 37620VOL

It works both ways a post has to be able to defend a guard which if they play out front is not likely to be effective and if they put both inside the three is open.

Reactions: brittannica
Plus a lot of these players she is recruiting via the portal will have multiple years left. I believe we will have 6 graduating (doing quick math so correct me if I am wrong), so having multi year players come in is huge to build this foundation as she looks to add recruits in the '25 class.
You always have to assume you will have players enter the portal every season, no guarantees on how many players will return.

Reactions: dtnvol and Raebo
Neither are very good free throw shooters have to send them to the line in a close game could be a loss.
Well to be fair, none of the players that have visited so far have been great free throw shooters. I guess CKC feels she can help them there. Spencer at least at times has shown the ability to shoot the three decently. Their steals average are basically identical, which is interesting since we know Arkansas barely played any D.

Reactions: VolFuture
Holy cow, quick before the portal closes are there any other athletic guards who can't shoot out there? Wouldn't want to miss one.

I remind myself that in spite of dozens of rumored names, we've only actually signed two and had Ruby visit. So maybe they're just casting a really wide net. I'm still hoping for King and probably the Penn St guard. And Ruby to sign. Of all the diamonds in the rough, RW seems like the one to me.

Holy cow, quick before the portal closes are there any other athletic guards who can't shoot out there? Wouldn't want to miss one.

I remind myself that in spite of dozens of rumored names, we've only actually signed two and had Ruby visit. So maybe they're just casting a really wide net. I'm still hoping for King and probably the Penn St guard. And Ruby to sign. Of all the diamonds in the rough, RW seems like the one to me.
I don't think anyone else is getting in and still a lot of guards out there but most are mid major. Darrione Rogers is probably the best three point shooter left no one seems to be making a move on her at least not that has been made public.

Reactions: Deebowbear

While we are in the window shopping phase, I know everyone wants to completely fill the roster with 4 or 5 more signings. But, with Latham and spearman, I think Ruby would round out things nicely. We desperately need more depth at PG. It would be risky to put all the eggs in the Wells basket. It seems like Cooper and Wynn are better suited to the off guard position if you had those degrees of freedom.

If we don't sign a post, it looks Jillian again but it remains to be seen what the post position actually looks like in CKC's system.

While we are in the window shopping phase, I know everyone wants to completely fill the roster with 4 or 5 more signings. But, with Latham and spearman, I think Ruby would round out things nicely. We desperately need more depth at PG. It would be risky to put all the eggs in the Wells basket. It seems like Cooper and Wynn are better suited to the off guard position if you had those degrees of freedom.

If we don't sign a post, it looks Jillian again but it remains to be seen what the post position actually looks like in CKC's system.
Yeah, I think another PG and post would be ideal. I forgot that Spencer was the SEC freshman of the year and though she had a rough junior year would still have managed to lead our team in steals and free throw attempts last year(just hope and pray that her percentage can be improved.) They may not think Destinee will be ready to start and are looking for insurance.

Last edited:
agreed. we have enough guard depth if we add whitehorn, spencer/miami guard, and kapinus. would be good to use that last scholarship on another post.
My gut would tell me not all of the guards we have talked to recently are committing. We currently sit at nine guards. Adding whitehorn and kapinus, that's eleven guards. At the two others we are hosting allegedly, we are up 13 guards (you could have a couple play forward). I know CKC runs a guard heavy offense so she may he looking for that many. Someone is likely going to be left without playing time. She doesn't go 15 deep.

Reactions: brittannica
My gut would tell me not all of the guards we have talked to recently are committing. We currently sit at nine guards. Adding whitehorn and kapinus, that's eleven guards. At the two others we are hosting allegedly, we are up 13 guards (you could have a couple play forward). I know CKC runs a guard heavy offense so she may he looking for that many. Someone is likely going to be left without playing time. She doesn't go 15 deep.

No clue how you’re counting but we do not have 13 guards lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back