2025 Transfer Portal Thread

Regarding Rice, aside from being a good player, how beneficial is bringing some familiarity/continuity with JG? Or is that kind of overrated when building a team?

I can only imagine that bringing in a backcourt of two kids on their level who already have an intimate familiarity with each other's game can only be a huge positive.
 
JP should've stuck around another season and gotten developed. Now he's either slumming it at the end of the Bulls bench or riding a bus in the G-League, depending on the day.
To be fair, he’s making almost $6 million guaranteed. Who knows if he would have developed more and been drafted higher.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HeadVol77
They have an FCS NC in football lol
Frankly I had forgotten they had resurrected the football program after cancelling it. Whether it’s an FCS program or no program, the point is that’s why the Villanova basketball program has such a huge NIL budget. Pretty sure an FCS program isn’t doling out NIL $’s.
 
PG: Gillespie / Henderson
SG: Rice
SF: Atwell / Evans
PF: Ament
C: Okpara / Carey / Cade / JP / Brown

If you can get Atwell and maybe another guard that can back up Rice and Atwell for a discount then I feel like Ament would be a no brainer.
Any of the Centers except Okpara could play PF too, so if that is what our roster looks like we could be BIG in the paint
 
My hot take…

If he’s going to cost what it looks like it’s going to cost, and that severely limits what else we can add, I would prefer we pass. Much like what you said in your last sentence I definitely have a fear that he’s not sure fire dominant good, he doesn’t have the deal Flagg came in with, it’s as you mentioned more Phillips like but taller. Obviously if we land him I’ll hope to be wrong, but I just have that fear given his build, he also hasn’t been dominant in the last year against quality competition, and then our history with 5 stars and Barnes also.

Now if Pratt is willing to fund this campaign and Ament is saw as gravy on top of other pieces then I’m all for it, but if he keeps us from adding other all league type talents I think I would rather add 2-3 proven guys over just Ament.
I've heard 3 million...is that accurate?
 
That 2021 class was the highest ranked in Barnes’ tenure here…

4 top 100 players, 2 5 stars 2 4 stars and 5th ranked in country…it obviously helped KC recruiting
I’m saying he was trying to help recruit guys like Banchero and a couple of other 5 stars that ended up not coming. The guys that signed were not the ones he said he recruited.
 
Ament is a pure scorer, don’t think his frame won’t be much of an issue. also him being in the same tier group as boozer, dybansta, and peterson tells you much potential he has
Agree. I think many are seriously underestimating how talented this kid is on offense. Julian Philips was nowhere near Ament. I've been looking at all of these top 10 HS players films and I personally think Ament could be ranked #1. (and I definitely see him at the 3 position)
 
The final approval of the 15 scholarship limit is Monday. The NCAA rule book etc has already been updated to reflect 15 scholarships. The ball will be in Tennessee's court if that goes as expected and the ruling is finalized. Tennessee can choose to opt in and get 15, or opt out and stay at 13. There's two fronts of opposition, one title 9 based, but the current admin kind of gutted that. The other based on the capped compensation that a party claims violates anti-trust. So we should know sometime Monday evening on 13 vs 15 being finalized and then we wait to see who opts in.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HeadVol77
The final approval of the 15 scholarship limit is Monday. The NCAA rule book etc has already been updated to reflect 15 scholarships. The ball will be in Tennessee's court if that goes as expected and the ruling is finalized. Tennessee can choose to opt in and get 15, or opt out and stay at 13. There's two fronts of opposition, one title 9 based, but the current admin kind of gutted that. The other based on the capped compensation that a party claims violates anti-trust. So we should know sometime Monday evening on 13 vs 15 being finalized and then we wait to see who opts in.
Is it gonna be school by school or league? Cause didn’t SEC cap at 85 rather than go to 105?
 
Is it gonna be school by school or league? Cause didn’t SEC cap at 85 rather than go to 105?
Everything I've read about it says schools can opt in and doesn't say leagues. That said, the lawsuits themselves that are being settled are against the NCAA and the conferences. So if the conferences are part of the settlement, I don't see how they can choose to limit it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HeadVol77
"Opt-In or Opt-Out: Schools Have a Choice

Schools will need to make a decision each year about whether to opt into this new system or stick with the current rules.

• Opt-In Schools: These programs will adopt the 15-player roster limit and 15 scholarships while participating in the revenue-sharing system. Schools must notify their intent to opt in by March 1 of each year, starting in 2025.

• Opt-Out Schools: Programs that choose not to participate in the new system will retain the current model of 13 scholarships and can carry more than 15 players on their roster. However, opting out means they will not participate in the revenue-sharing system, so their athletes won’t benefit from the annual financial distribution."

If we opt out, we could have 25 players on the roster, but only 13 would get scholarships. The rest would need to be covered by NIL. There would be no revenue sharing for those players. According to that we should've already informed the NCAA if we are opting in or out.
 

VN Store



Back
Top